Author Topic: Virus - Mail - Packages  (Read 554 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Virus - Mail - Packages
« on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »
   So, how are folks handling or rather not handling mail and package deliveries?  We've tried spraying some mail with a bleach based disinfectant.  Mail is retrieved from the mailbox using disposable gloves and/or a pair of tongs dedicated for that purpose only.  For mail, that doesn't have the little plastic windows, we've put it in the oven for 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees F.  For us, mail and package deliveries are our only point of contact with the outside world. 

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
Re: Virus - Mail - Packages
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:38 AM »
To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought. I will probably do likewise - just spray it down and use gloves to get it them. Maybe someone can chime in with how long this thing lives on a surface like that.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
General info I have found indicates the virus is unlikely to survive and be infectious on mail/paper. 

However, I am gloving up, inspecting outside and opening outside.  Junk mail is trashed there and regular mail (very low count) is left outside, in sunshine if available, for clearing itself a couple hours.

I had not been baking it or anything but I will give that serious consideration.

Real headache of this all is my med history.  MI with stints and COPD for near 40 years smoking are not good things to have.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
    The reason we're concerned about mail and packages is that during the Spanish Flu epidemic there were several Alaskan communities that were infected by their only outside contact, which was the mail.  Supposedly, the mail carriers did not enter the communities.  This was discussed in Dr. Hatfill's book "Three Seconds to Midnight".

We also open our mail outside.  Junk mail and empty boxes are going to be burned outdoors.  We haven't had much sunlight lately, using the UV from the sun was my original plan.  We do have a small UV wand; I need to research how long the parcels would need UV exposure to be decontaminated.  But with UV, there are many variables, i.e., like length of exposure, the wattage of the UV bulb, the texture of the contaminated surface, and how close the light needs to be to the surface. I have some magazines that need decontaminated, and spraying with a liquid would ruin them.  I'm also concerned about putting them in the oven, because the color inks may have a problem with the intense heat.  So, UV may be the only solution.

Stay safe everyone.  A small mistake could ultimately be fatal.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
Most excellent info reminder.  That had completely escaped my thinkins.

Nemo

search

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=UV+light&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Specific one of interest.  Thoughts?
N

https://www.amazon.com/uvBeast-Black-Light-Flashlight-Professional/dp/B01CV24OGK/ref=redir_mobile_desktop
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:05:26 AM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »
    All UV lights are not the same.  What you're looking for is a UV -C light.  The UV - C emits the light at a specific wavelength to disrupt the micro-organisms ability to replicate.  The typical UV light for posters, or nightclubs doesn't emit light at the correct wavelength.

This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Lamp-Germicidal-Disinfection-Ultraviolet-Sterilizer/dp/B0855DX4GK/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=UV+light&qid=1584368446&sr=8-12   

Typically, the UV - C lights are more expensive because they are for a specific wavelength.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:29:04 AM by Jackalope »