Author Topic: Nature's Quick Clot = Spider Web  (Read 2043 times)

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Nature's Quick Clot = Spider Web
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:09:05 AM »
I did a search and was surprised to see that it has never been mentioned before on this forum.  Good to know for when the Quick Clot runs out.  I personally know of one instance where cobwebs were used to stop severe bleeding in a factory accident. 

I couldn't find any conclusive articles on the internet to post here, but it does work, very well.  It's about time those eight-legged f***ers were good for something!

I intend to start saving all the web I can find by gathering it on a stick (wire coat hanger, pen, pencil, drinking straw, cleaning rod, solid electrical wire with or without insulation, etc.) and sorting it into either one ziplock bag for fresh web, or another for older, dusty web.  The amount used is dependent on the severity of the wound, so you'll have to play it by ear.

EDIT:  Sorry for the confusion folks.  My text (above) is reality based, and should be taken seriously.  The video (below) is... what it is. 

Here is some interesting info about spiders and webs:
Spiders On Drugs
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:23:36 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
Re: Nature's Quick Clot = Spider Web
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
Thats some really good information S-K. Thanks for posting it.
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
that video was awesome!... i didnt realize it was a joke until the restraining order came out.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
 [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
wait is the whole thread a joke or just the video? if the actual topic of the OP is for real then that's a pretty badass discovery.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
s-k you should really hit us up with an answer. jokes are fun but not when they could get someone hurt if they took it seriously.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
s-k you should really hit us up with an answer. jokes are fun but not when they could get someone hurt if they took it seriously.

agreed, because i think the actual idea of the OP was serious.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
**BUMP**  My original post has been edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:26:13 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline WhiteWolf

• Committed prepper
  • Once more into the fray.......
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
No shit? Good info man, and yes, it is about freaking time they're good for something. Though if I need quick clot that badly I doubt I'll have the frame of mind or the blood left to be worried about finding a spider web.
"You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."
Andrew Jackson

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »
......Though if I need quick clot that badly I doubt I'll have the frame of mind or the blood left to be worried about finding a spider web.
That's why I suggest taking every opportunity to gather & store web ahead of time.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »
^    ^    ^ 
^    ^    ^
^    ^    ^
I knew that was coming.

...Good to know for when the Quick Clot runs out...

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I've heard this before, but never actually used it to help dress a wound.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »
Local mythology has always applied spiderweb silk to axe and knife wounds not gun shot wounds.

But, Walker is making an interesting point, one that fails to get taken seriously in the prepping community. I am going to paraphrase knowing well that he will correct me if I get it wrong.

The pocket sized tools that are available to save someones life from a traumatic wound have increased in availability as well as effectiveness but without higher medical care these wounds still prove to be fatal.

We need to take an honest look at what our ability actually is. In a post collaps scenario we will be lucky to treat minor burns and cuts yet alone gunshot wounds. I hate to say it guys but people who have been horribly wounded need to made comfortable and left to die because whatever efforts we make to save them will just be a strain on our selves and out supply.

Anyone look up what it takes to get quikclot back out of a wound? Without modern analgesic drugs this is going to be a horrifying experience one which will mentally scar everyone within earshot of the event. Not to mention the risk of secondary infection.

That said I carry the stuff in case I pull a Texas Grebner at the range.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »
TG makes some great points. Whats the plan post SHTF if a blood squirting injury is successfully stopped? bleeding out and going night night for good is a lot more pleasant then dying from infection or having to take your friend/family members life with a gun because hes suffering too much. Sad as it is a Blow-out kit might be your worst enemy post SHTF.

hopefully Walker can give more insight to perhaps certain injuries that post SHTF would be worth trying to fix with the use of a blow-out kit aswell as ones that should be left to run their course un touched.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:18 AM »
I'd like to add this tid bit....
The Quickclot itself can be dangerous, especially when used when it is most needed...in deep  wounds that are heavily bleeding.  I'm going from memory on this one....the reason is that the clotting agent itself can find its way into the blood stream then travel elsewhere in the body (brain, lung or heart) and cause a deadly clot.  If the patient is in a hospital setting, there is a chance of busting the clot with I.V. medication.  However, in the field, in a survival situation, without the proper medication, or I.V. to administer it, this condition will likely end in rapid death.

A possible tactical use of a clotting agent...I could see using it for mild to moderate wounds, in the situation where one is being actively pursued by an enemy force and does not wish to leave a blood trail, and does not have time to properly bandage and/or wait for the bleeding to stop on its own.  This use will probably not be found in any textbook, but is situation specific and may come in handy in the real world.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:55:54 AM by special-k »

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
Kentactic, I am unable to answer your question regarding what is worth trying to fix vs. providing comfort care and allow the dying to die in peace.  Too many variables involved regarding what could be available, what skills and equipment is on hand, and the severity of the injury/illness.  For instance, do all gut shot creatures die with minimal/no treatment?  No, but most would.  Do all collapsed lungs result in death?  No, there are a number of people running around with one lung working.

Thats kind of where my thinking was before this thread. if you do try and help the person theres a chance...even if a small one its there.... that maybe they survive. I just got a feeling like that was medically stupid there for a second as if there was no chance at all in most blow-out kit required injuries without advanced medical help within hours. but the cowboys back in the day would sew up their wounds with horse hair if they were out in the bush and they survived some times to so WTH...
Simplicity Is Ideal...