Author Topic: Lacerations  (Read 842 times)

Offline mechmedic

• Prepper
Lacerations
« on: November 25, 2019, 07:27:13 AM »
Medical Monday this week is on Lacerations. The internet has been ridiculously slow the past week so I still owe you guys an extra post. But I am working on it.
https://stuckpigmedical.com/2019/11/25/medical-monday-25-nov-2019/

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Lacerations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
    Great article.  What about using saline for irrigating wounds, or should we stick with the Dakin's solution?  And even more basic, how do you make saline?

Offline mechmedic

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
Saline isn't necessary for irrigation. Dakin's solution also provides an antiseptic action that normal saline just doesn't. Save the salt for rectal iv's and putting on food. Saline used to be something I thought was needed for prepping, now I'll just use potable water if I can't make Dakin's solution. But the stuff required to make Dakin's solution is so cheap and accessible I'll just store some extra bleach and baking soda in my medical preps. And the recipe for making 0.9% Normal Saline is 1 Liter of water to 2 teaspoons of non-iodized salt. Mix until salt is dissolved. Here's a handy pdf with a label you can cut out and put on your container. http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/PedSurgery/ColorectalProgram/SalineSolution.pdf
I would only use this for rectal IV's though.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
Saline isn't necessary for irrigation. Dakin's solution also provides an antiseptic action that normal saline just doesn't. Save the salt for rectal iv's and putting on food. Saline used to be something I thought was needed for prepping, now I'll just use potable water if I can't make Dakin's solution. But the stuff required to make Dakin's solution is so cheap and accessible I'll just store some extra bleach and baking soda in my medical preps. And the recipe for making 0.9% Normal Saline is 1 Liter of water to 2 teaspoons of non-iodized salt. Mix until salt is dissolved. Here's a handy pdf with a label you can cut out and put on your container. http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/PedSurgery/ColorectalProgram/SalineSolution.pdf
I would only use this for rectal IV's though.

I liked your post. When I get a break in the skin, I reach for my bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to rinse and sterilize because my 90% rubbing alcohol burns like hell and I'd rather use it for my portable stove. My Doctor is an alcohol freak and recommends alcohol over Peroxide but I always remind him that I can use peroxide as a mouth wash debrider. I'm glad you chose Saline as a choice to review because there are a gazillion people floating around out there who don't have a clue that saline solution is just sterile salt water. On another note. I told my doctor that if I was ever in the hospital and they wanted to stick me with an IV with saline, I'd tell them to bring me a bunch of Gatoraid and stick that needle in their own ass. That way I'd get the sodium and a few electrolytes the pleasant way. By the way, I,ve convinced my doctor to do some basic prepping and given him a partly loaded bugout bag and a few ounces of Silver. I also have his home phone number and gave him a couple of MURS band handitalkies in case the situation arises where he can't get to his office.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:46:22 PM by pkveazey »

Offline mechmedic

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
So the electrolytes aren’t always needed which is why for certain situations NS makes more sense than a Lactated Ringers situation. Plus you can cause hypernutremia is you aren’t careful. Not to mention kidney stones. But most civilian docs get NS drips SHOVED down their throats in medical school. It’s really only useful for dehydration cases and as a substance to hold drugs for administration. The hydrogen peroxide has been shown to prolong healing in the long term because it kills everything in the wound bed. It’s really only recommended for the initial debridement. I’d honestly just use the Modified Damon’s solution and is something I will be implementing at home.  And having a doctor in your group is a MASSIVE force multiplier. Just the simple clinical knowledge they can bring is a complete game changer. Add to that someone with a field medical background and you’re set on the medical front outside of general first aid and TC3 skills for every member.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
So the electrolytes aren’t always needed which is why for certain situations NS makes more sense than a Lactated Ringers situation. Plus you can cause hypernutremia is you aren’t careful. Not to mention kidney stones. But most civilian docs get NS drips SHOVED down their throats in medical school. It’s really only useful for dehydration cases and as a substance to hold drugs for administration. The hydrogen peroxide has been shown to prolong healing in the long term because it kills everything in the wound bed. It’s really only recommended for the initial debridement. I’d honestly just use the Modified Damon’s solution and is something I will be implementing at home.  And having a doctor in your group is a MASSIVE force multiplier. Just the simple clinical knowledge they can bring is a complete game changer. Add to that someone with a field medical background and you’re set on the medical front outside of general first aid and TC3 skills for every member.

Yep. I think most of us are really under prepared for medical issues. I have added quite a bit of stuff that I personally don't expect to need but I have it just in case a Doctor is on site or at least on the phone or radio. If all that medical crap saves just one person, it will be Worth buying it. I don't have diabetes but I have a blood sugar tester. I've got clotting powder, blood pressure tester, blood oxygen level tester, stethoscope, a bunch of meds for all kinds of stuff. If I'm lucky, I won't need any of that crap.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 08:08:24 AM »
Man o' man this is good stuff!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.