General Category > Health

How to manage a bleeding wound (and don't think quick clot!!)

<< < (5/5)

mechmedic:
The information about not removing soaked bandages and tourniquets should be updated.
Try taking a Stop the Bleed course (www.bleedingcontrol.org)
Tourniquets don't cause amputation. 17 years of combat in the middle east and not one time was a tourniquet the reason for an amputation being performed.
If a would is still bleeding through the gauze, you haven't stopped the bleed, (especially with GSW's or other penetrating wounds) you need to remove the gauze and try packing the wound again to make sure you are packing to the actual source of the bleeding.
I will agree that quickclot isn't always necessary, my own IFAK's and my Aid bag is packed with plain cotton gauze. You can find rolls of sterile gauze for as cheap as $1. And Kerlix is crazy multi use.

Just my $0.02

Erick:
Medic,

what are the steps one can take to remove a tourniquet after hours have passed from a victim w/o allowing the built up in the extremity to shock the system?
... I am thinking about a collapse of society scenario where i likely dont have qualified medical other than myself (your average TC3 grad)

Or is it impossible w/o access to professional medical care like a well equipped PA/NP and up?

mechmedic:
Honestly, that is above my level as well, but surgeons do it all the time when they perform surgery. They use tourniquets to create bloodless fields that stay on for much longer than 2 hours. How they utilize this is as I said beyond my scope of practice. But honestly, I would rather loose a limb than die because someone waited 5-8 minutes to put on a tourniquet while I bled out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version