Author Topic: Flu 2011 - My Flu Box  (Read 38416 times)

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
Flu 2011 - My Flu Box
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
Hey guys... its been awhile.  I'm sorry for the drama and I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me and give me a chance to redeem myself.    So here's my first post as a newbie. 

It?s getting to be that time of year.  I can?t encourage you enough to go out and get that flu shot.   I just finished restocking my annual flu box? getting rid of expired meds and supplies and adding a few more.  It?s best to be prepared than to find yourself sick and without supplies. Remember to wash your hands (and remind the kids) as many times a day as you can.  Hand washing has been proven to be the most effective way of prevent the spread of infection.

Flu Symptoms:  Fever/chills, fatigue/ weakness, cough, headache and congestion

A word about fevers - Fever is almost always present with the flu and it usually comes on suddenly. When you have a high fever, you are also likely to experience chills. The higher your body temperature, the colder the air will feel. This is the reason that people with a fever try to layer on clothing and blankets, although doing so will only make the problem worse.

My Flu Box

Humidifier (Humidifiers put extra moisture in the air, which makes it a little less dry and irritating for you to breathe. They are especially useful at night when you will be in the same position for many hours. They can even help thin the mucous in your sinuses and help it drain more easily.)

Medications

Decongestants:  Sudafed and Sudafed PE are both decongestants. They contain pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) or phenylephrine (Sudafed PE) that helps to release congestion

Antihistamines:  can be used for symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing and itching. There are many different formulas available, including Benadryl(diphenhydramine),Claritin

Ibuprofen: also sold as Advil or Motrin, is a type of pain reliever/fever reducer. It is known as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID

Acetaminophen:  or Tylenol is used to bring down a fever and relieve minor pain

Multiple symptoms medication:  Many options are available, just make sure you are taking one that treats only the symptoms you have. Taking medication for symptoms you do       not have is not only unnecessary, but it can also be dangerous.

Drinking lots of fluids and using salt water gargles (made by combining a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of salt) can often be helpful for easing the pain of a sore throat

Saline Nasal Spray: Treats nasal stuffiness without the risk of  "rebound" congestion from dependence on other nasal sprays when used for more than 3 days

Supplies

Gloves/masks
Lip balm
Kleenex
Toothbrushes- change after being sick
Listerine
Thermometers/ covers- each kid has their own
Disinfectant spray
Small trash bags
Cough drops
Alcohol
Vicks Rub
Hand Sanitizer
Baby Wipes
Anti-Bacterial Soap
Trash Bags

And I make sure I have lots of soup, saltines, ginger ale and gatorade  or things like that so if I'm sick I don't have to worry.

Risk all.... regret nothing

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Flu 2011 - My Flu Box
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:24:33 PM »
id rather take my chances on the flu then with the flu shot.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »
good to have you back kindred

that being said, obviously, I'm not a medical professional, far from it. but I've never had one flu shot, and I've also never once had the flu. yet everyone I know that get's flu shots seem to get sick every year regardless of the shot.

I actually defy many common rules. I don't wash my hands very often unless they're visibly dirty or if I KNOW that I just touched something that NEEDS to be removed from my skin, I eat and drink things way past their expiration dates, etc. and i've only been sick a handful of times in my entire life. and I know I can't have a great immune system because my diet is terrible and I drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney.

I think that this "sterile lifestyle" that we are encouraged to live only hurts us because we build immunities to all sorts of bacteria by being exposed to them. now, should you sterilize a wound? sure! should you practice a healthy lifestyle? sure! but sterilizing our entire world only puts us in a bubble, and no one can go their entire life without popping that bubble. so IMO, WHEN the bubble pops, why not already have a little exposure to that bacteria?

I'm hardpressed to prove this because it's difficult to prove, but IMO flu shots are just another money-making scheme from "big-pharma".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:44:34 PM by NOLA556 »
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

505th.NM.Militia

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
Kindredspirit is in the house everybody!!!  And she brought another amazing post with her!!!  Welcome back and I hope you didn't just jinx us with the flu!   

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Welcome back Kindred.  My wife and I were just talking today about the fact that flu seems to be starting up with several people we know.  Better safe than sorry.  Better wash those hands.  lol

I'm with Ken about the shot though.  I trust that little germ just a tad bit more than I trust the WHO and FDA and the vaccine producers who subsidize them and pay for their Christmas Parties.

But then everyone knows I keep my tin foil hat close by. lol 

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »
Glad to be back!!  I missed you guys a lot!!

As far as the flu shot:
While everyone should get a flu vaccine each flu season, it?s especially important that the following groups get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications: 
1.Pregnant women
2.Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
3.People 50 years of age and older
4.People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
5.People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
6.People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
 a.Health care workers (like me)
 b.Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
 c.Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)

If you chose not to get vaccinated, here are a few helpful suggestions to keep you healthy

1. Get plenty of restful sleep. Your body recharges itself at night.
2. Drink water every day. Staying hydrated is essential to your health.  Water helps flush out impurities of your body.
3. Exercise regularly. 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as walking, helps boost your metabolism and your body's ability to fight disease.
4. Avoid white refined sugar and food high in sugar content as sugar makes your immune system sluggish.
5. Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Include protein to protect and build your lean muscle mass and plenty of healthy carbohydrates from fresh fruits and vegetables. 
6. Take a high quality vitamin and mineral supplement daily. Most of us don't eat all the fresh fruits and vegetables we need for optimal nutrition.
7. Wash your hands frequently or use a liquid hand sanitizer. It's easy to pick up germs from door handles, grocery shopping carts and other articles used by large numbers of people.
8. Reduce Stress and Think Positively Your mental state has more of an impact on your body's immune system than many people realize. Mental states such as pessimism or depression directly effects the hormones released into our bodies. These chemicals (eg. cortisol) also directly depresses the immune system.
10. The other most important thing is to make sure that the people around you don't catch a cold; so keep them healthy too, for example if they sneeze, or is around someone who is sick, make sure that you give them some sanitizer, or make sure they clean their hands.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:13 PM »
kindred, do you know of anywhere that I could access a MSDS for each season's flu shot? do you KNOW for sure exactly what is in these shots? is there anywhere to obtain that information? (I.E. specific chemicals, ingredients, effects of those ingredients... etc... the same way that over-the-counter meds are required by law to list?)

any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm NOT being a smartass here, I'm honestly asking because I want to know.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
good to have you back kindred

that being said, obviously, I'm not a medical professional, far from it. but I've never had one flu shot, and I've also never once had the flu. yet everyone I know that get's flu shots seem to get sick every year regardless of the shot.

I actually defy many common rules. I don't wash my hands very often unless they're visibly dirty or if I KNOW that I just touched something that NEEDS to be removed from my skin, I eat and drink things way past their expiration dates, etc. and i've only been sick a handful of times in my entire life. and I know I can't have a great immune system because my diet is terrible and I drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney.

I think that this "sterile lifestyle" that we are encouraged to live only hurts us because we build immunities to all sorts of bacteria by being exposed to them. now, should you sterilize a wound? sure! should you practice a healthy lifestyle? sure! but sterilizing our entire world only puts us in a bubble, and no one can go their entire life without popping that bubble. so IMO, WHEN the bubble pops, why not already have a little exposure to that bacteria?

I'm hardpressed to prove this because it's difficult to prove, but IMO flu shots are just another money-making scheme from "big-pharma".

Nola... I do wash my hands quite a bit, but in the hospital its a matter of life and death.  Our patients arent strong enough to fight off infection and they trust me to keep them safe.  At home, its another matter.  I let colds and bugs run the course unless someone gets really sick.  Antibiotic resistant germs are a big problem now because of improper and overuse of drugs.  Ive never had the flu either but I still get my shot every year.... cant stand the thought of bringing something nasty home to my offspring.  LOL....

I dont use antibacterial soap or cleaners.... I go a more natural route with white vinegar and water for almost everything.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
i just got over the flu, yeah it sucked big time

but it comes and goes
whoopty fucking doo i was sick for a while and now i'm better

not gonna risk the shot over something like the flu.....

i take care of a boy from time to time who got autism from a vaccine, in the words of my grandpa

Fuck that shit
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
kindred, do you know of anywhere that I could access a MSDS for each season's flu shot? do you KNOW for sure exactly what is in these shots? is there anywhere to obtain that information? (I.E. specific chemicals, ingredients, effects of those ingredients... etc... the same way that over-the-counter meds are required by law to list?)

any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm NOT being a smartass here, I'm honestly asking because I want to know.

Let me get a package insert and see what I can give you.  It should have a list of active ingredients.

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
i just got over the flu, yeah it sucked big time

but it comes and goes
whoopty fucking doo i was sick for a while and now i'm better

not gonna risk the shot over something like the flu.....

i take care of a boy from time to time who got autism from a vaccine, in the words of my grandpa

Fuck that shit

Im politicin' for the drug company.... Promise.  Just sharing what I buy ahead of time to treat symptoms and make those weeks a little less hellish. 

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
on a side note,  why in the fuck is this thread sticky noted?
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:34:21 AM »
I'm sorry, but injecting yourself with a strain of virus (and I don't care if it's "dead" or inactive); to combat a virus is backwards logic to me. If we're talking BIG global pandemic stuff like smallpox, polio, cholera, malaria, weaponized influenza or ebola etc...then SURE I'll take an injection. I refuse to buy into to fear mongering campaign that surrounds the flu. Never mind all the new cancers and diseases that have cropped up into our civilization since mass inoculation and immunization came into the spot light. And that's as political as I will venture in this arena.

Our culture has gotten so soft and stupid that people have completely forgotten BASIC concepts like;

-Stay home if you are sick 
-Cover your mouth when sneezing/coughing (using the inside of your shoulder/chest; like they teach you in the food industry, not your friggin' hands.)
-Wash your hands OFTEN
-Wash your hands again
-Keep distance from sickly looking beings/creatures
-Hydrate, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, well balanced diet with plenty of lean protein and veggies. Low carbs and sugars.
-Sleep
-Don't shit or piss where you eat; literally.
-And if some asshole decided not to wash his hands before he picked your spinach; then bitch slap em'

There you go, most problems with disease and low caliber virus eliminated. No need for a mystery shot.

Oh...and thanks for the info Kindred; very highly appreciated.  ;D

Dag gone it guys... Im going back into hiding.  LOL.  My post was not about the flu shot but prepping for flu season... supplies and stuff.  I knew the shot part of it would go over like a lead balloon... but I am a nurse... just doing my job to try and save some lives.   ;D

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »
So much for a warm welcome.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:45:14 AM »
Welcome back, Kindred! Thanks for the post!

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:45:33 AM »
LMAO... its all good... I knew I had it coming with the immunization part...I just prayed the rest of my post would smooth it over. 

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 01:46:15 AM »
Welcome back, Kindred! Thanks for the post!

Glad to be back Rah!!!

Ghost

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:37 AM »
Welcome back! And great post.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
On a side note.  I've been in and out of two different hospitals for the past two weeks because of my mom and mother in law having some problems.  I have't seen a nurse yet that looked like your avatar.  Good thing too.  My wife probably wouldn't have let me near the place. lol

Don't change it!  I think it encourages guys to get checkups that they probably wouldn't get otherwise.  Heck, I almost considered getting a  flu shot for a second there while looking at it.  lol

You know I'm playing with you Kindred.  I'm really glad you're back!  Now, where's SP?

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline WhiskeyJack

• Committed prepper
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
Welcome back Kindred. Great post im looking forward to having your expertise in the forums again. Keep em coming.
Good whiskey, makes Jack Rabbit smack da bear.

Offline TreadOnMeNot

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 05:09:46 PM »
Kindred, its great to have you back on the forum, great info.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
Welcome back, Kindred.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

Offline Kindredspirit

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 05:52:02 PM »
Glad to be back..... y'all shoot me any suggestions for any topics youd like to see. 

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »
Hey Kindred,

I would like to suggest that your next installment be on the prevention and treatment of diarrhea, I am not sure why people don't focus on this more than they do.

Here is what the WHO says about it
World wide in 2004 approximately 2.5 billion cases of diarrhea occurred which results in 1.5 million deaths among children under the age of five. Greater than half of these were in Africa and South Asia. This is down from a death rate of 5 million per year two decades ago. Diarrhea remains the second leading cause of death (16%) after pneumonia (17%) in this age group.

The reason that those numbers are higher in Africa and South Asia is their lack of sanitation and you can bet your ass (literally) that its going to be worse before its better in a wrol situation.

I am keen to hear what you think on this topic.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 07:37:44 AM »
Glad to see you back, Kindred!  Good post, and I think that the very young and the very old should get flu shots.  If you're strong enough to fight it off, just don't worry about it.  Wash your hands, don't be around people who are visibily sick or say they are starting to feel funny, and you should mainly be alright.  If you get it, ohh well, it sucks.

Unless its going to kill me, I'm not getting a shot.  Those immunizations are worse than the virus they are trying to cure, IMHO.