Author Topic: Eye sight  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Skippy00004

• Committed prepper
Eye sight
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
If you have bad eye sight (like me) I would highly recommend saving up for the surgery, because I don't know about you folks, but I don't want to have to rely on contacts (that can dry out/irritate the hell out of your eyes) or glasses (which break) after SHTF. 

If anyone on here knows a thing or two about lazer eye surgery, I'd love to hear about it.
Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain...

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence." --Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
Re: Eye sight
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
I have 20 50 vision. Not to bad I can still shoot without glasses. I just cant read from far away. But i can still read off the white bord in class so thats good.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

kindredspirit

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:54:35 PM »
I'm saving up for lasik surgery too.  I know financing is available but I really dont want to get into debt.  Here was the information I got in my consultation appointment last year.

this procedure is preformed by creating a microscopic flap in the top layer of the cornea, which allows her to reshape the inner layers of the cornea without damaging the outer layer. The flap is then laid back to expose the inner portion of the corneal tissue. Removal of the tissue changes the curvature of the cornea. If the patient is nearsighted, tissue closer to the central part of the cornea is removed to decrease the curvature or flatten the cornea. If a patient is farsighted, tissue in the peripheral part of the cornea is removed to increase the curvature of the cornea.  After the Excimer Laser treats the inner surface of the cornea, the protective flap of the cornea is gently replaced. The cornea heals naturally without stitches or shots. Most patients notice a dramatic visual improvement within 24 hours of their LASIK procedure.  Since only topical numbing drops are used, patients remain awake during the procedure. A mild sedative in the form of Valium is available. The entire procedure takes only a few minutes.

The average price for wavefront-guided LASIK using a laser-created flap on the eye was $2,170/ per eye in 2010.

If you get it, let me know how it goes!!  My eye sight is not that bad... just a little near sighted.  But glasses and contacts are a pain. 

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:28:24 AM »
Yeah, Talked to my Eye doctor last week about it.
My buddy got it done & he loves it. I  just hate the idea of some one clamping my eye open then cutting my eye ball with a little razor. zaping me with a lazer then tellin me to let it heal.... just gives me the hebee jeebee's
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

southern patriot

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:18:45 AM »
I'm saving up for lasik surgery too.  I know financing is available but I really dont want to get into debt.  Here was the information I got in my consultation appointment last year.

this procedure is preformed by creating a microscopic flap in the top layer of the cornea, which allows her to reshape the inner layers of the cornea without damaging the outer layer. The flap is then laid back to expose the inner portion of the corneal tissue. Removal of the tissue changes the curvature of the cornea. If the patient is nearsighted, tissue closer to the central part of the cornea is removed to decrease the curvature or flatten the cornea. If a patient is farsighted, tissue in the peripheral part of the cornea is removed to increase the curvature of the cornea.  After the Excimer Laser treats the inner surface of the cornea, the protective flap of the cornea is gently replaced. The cornea heals naturally without stitches or shots. Most patients notice a dramatic visual improvement within 24 hours of their LASIK procedure.  Since only topical numbing drops are used, patients remain awake during the procedure. A mild sedative in the form of Valium is available. The entire procedure takes only a few minutes.

The average price for wavefront-guided LASIK using a laser-created flap on the eye was $2,170/ per eye in 2010.

If you get it, let me know how it goes!!  My eye sight is not that bad... just a little near sighted.  But glasses and contacts are a pain.

I knew it!

kindredspirit

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »

I knew it!

I dont need glasses or contacts to see how freaking sexy you are!

southern patriot

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:57:53 AM »
 :-X

kindredspirit

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:03:23 AM »
oops...did I say that out loud? 

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »
One solution for many issues... BCGs!

Fix eyesight and prevent unwanted pregnancy post-SHTF!  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
i'm with reaver, you ain't cuting my fucking eyeballs!

luckily i got good eyes
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Ghost

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
Yeah I'm looking at getting LASIK done as well. Fuck these glasses and contacts.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
I have also had this surgery done, though it was a different version of Lasik because my eyes didn't have enough workable material for the regular operation. They took skin from my back... :o...just kidding. I went from not being able to see clearly farther than 18" in front of my face to having approximately 20/20 vision, all in a few weeks. It takes your vision a while to completely heal, and they allow a year for full healing plus any unforeseen aftereffects, but it's great.

The only drawbacks, I was told, are poorer night vision and drier eyes. I had horrible night vision to begin with, so that doesn't affect me. However, the dry eye (especially when you wake suddenly) is so bad that you literally cannot open your eyes. You have to sit and wait a minute for your eyeball to moisturize. That worries me, since if I awake suddenly and need to act within a matter of seconds, I may be SOL. However, since the tradeoff is having excellent vision without outside help, I think it's worth it.

Please note that some customers' eyes have reverted back to a worse condition after a few years. Many have remained permanent, however, and all (I think) improved overall. For someone like me, even if I only kept have my current vision it still would be a Godsend.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
I have also had this surgery done, though it was a different version of Lasik because my eyes didn't have enough workable material for the regular operation. They took skin from my back... :o...just kidding. I went from not being able to see clearly farther than 18" in front of my face to having approximately 20/20 vision, all in a few weeks. It takes your vision a while to completely heal, and they allow a year for full healing plus any unforeseen aftereffects, but it's great.

The only drawbacks, I was told, are poorer night vision and drier eyes. I had horrible night vision to begin with, so that doesn't affect me. However, the dry eye (especially when you wake suddenly) is so bad that you literally cannot open your eyes. You have to sit and wait a minute for your eyeball to moisturize. That worries me, since if I awake suddenly and need to act within a matter of seconds, I may be SOL. However, since the tradeoff is having excellent vision without outside help, I think it's worth it.

Please note that some customers' eyes have reverted back to a worse condition after a few years. Many have remained permanent, however, and all (I think) improved overall. For someone like me, even if I only kept have my current vision it still would be a Godsend.

note to self attack rah's house in the middle of the night.....
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »

I knew it!

I dont need glasses or contacts to see how freaking sexy you are!

oh jeez.... was there a hair-tie on that doorknob?
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

southern patriot

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
 ;D

Offline Skippy00004

• Committed prepper
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »

Great info! Thanks kindred!
Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain...

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence." --Mahatma Ghandi

kindredspirit

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:09 AM »

Great info! Thanks kindred!

Glad I could help.   :)

GoddamnUncleSam

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »
and what about an astigmatism and nearsightedness will the laser fix both of those because i have been thinking about it as well just haven't looked to far into it. also would it also cost more?

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »
and what about an astigmatism and nearsightedness will the laser fix both of those because i have been thinking about it as well just haven't looked to far into it. also would it also cost more?

I don't know about astigmatism, but it fixed my nearsightedness completely. I have roughly 20/20 vision now, and before (without aid) I could not see farther than 1' clearly. I would have been royally fucked if I'd been born in any other era besides the one where glasses are readily available in civilized cultures.

militaryman84

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »

Depends on the level off astigmatism. My doc say I can't have the surgery because mines to bad. On I side note I am still rocking Bcg's 3 years after retirement haha wow I need help! But at least I have like 5 pairs laying around.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »
I got a lasik surgery a few months ago and I can tell you is awesome to start seeing again, I would do it again.

I have the right eye with some dryness issues, but let me tell you, the contact lenses were a lot worse, I needed to use eye drops and sparring I lost them a few times.

The doc told me that the eye/mind take a few months to learn to use the "new cameras" and that the process heals completely in a year.
but you go out of the operating room seeing, and the other day you can start appreciating the difference.

GoddamnUncleSam, as the previous guys said, it depends on every case, there are a lot of factors, but lasik can fix nearsightedness and astigmatism if the astigmatism isn't too bad, you should consult your doc.