Author Topic: will the American Redoubt become the New Byzantium?  (Read 633 times)

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
will the American Redoubt become the New Byzantium?
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
Found a new blog

http://guerrillamerica.com/2012/12/the-american-redoubt-new-byzantium/

For several years, astute Patriots have pondered the likenesses between the late Roman Empire and America?s future  ? or should I say, present.  There are striking similarities between the two but to say that our courses are parallel would be far from accurate.  More interesting to me than any parallel is what happened immediately after the collapse of the Roman Empire: continental Europe descended into the Dark/Middle Ages; while the Byzantine Empire experienced relative safety, a succession of Christian emperors, and an economic revival up until the Crusades.  As the American Empire falls, will the American Redoubt become the New Byzantium?

1. Currency Manipulation and Monetary Crisis.

The year is 211 AD and Caracalla, Co-Emperor of the Roman Empire, has just murdered his brother to assume sole command of Rome.  In order to purchase the loyalty of the Roman army, Caracalla doubles their wages.  With the Roman treasury already strained, Caracalla further reduces the silver content of the denarius to finance the increased military wages.

For hundreds of years, the Roman Empire operated on a bi-metallic standard, using both gold and silver coins as currency.  The denarius, the silver coin used as the standard of trade throughout the Empire, was the day-to-day currency.  The Bible even references the denarius as being a day?s wage for laborers.  During the preceding 200 years before Caracalla, the denarius had been continuously debased.  When introduced, the denarius was a 4.5 gram silver coin, in today?s terms roughly $5.00; and it remained more than 90% silver throughout the first century.  By Caracalla?s time, it had been reduced to 56% silver; and by the late third century, the once-pure silver denarius had been replaced altogether with a nearly worthless copper coin in a thin silver coating.  For the entire course of the late Roman Empire, its emperors routinely traded short term benefits at the expense of the interests of the Roman people over the long term.  They insulated themselves against those consequences, much like American leadership does today.

2. Mass Citizenship.

In 212 AD, Caracallus issued an edict making citizens of all freeborn residents of the Roman Empire.  Historians agree that this action was largely to increase the tax base, raising revenues for the state.  Being a Roman citizen had privileges of honor and pride in addition to legal protection.  Even in the Biblical book of Acts, we see Paul claiming citizenship in regards to punishment under Roman law.  The Edict of Caracalla cheapened the pride Romans felt as citizens.  Something looked upon as earned had been given away.

For the rest of the Third Century the Roman Empire suffered crisis after crisis: rise of neighboring empires, barbarian invasions, a succession of short-lived emperors, numerous civil wars, and the division of the Roman Empire ? not to mention the mass persecution of Roman Christians.

The Fourth Century was no easier.  In 376, a massive Visigoth invasion destroyed entire Roman armies, and in 410 the Visigoths sacked Rome for three days.  By 476, the Western Roman Empire had collapsed under the burden of barbarian invasion and the formation of their kingdoms.  The fall of the Western Empire ushered in a ?dark? period we?ve come to know as the Dark Ages.

Meanwhile: Glory in Byzantium

The Eastern Roman Empire, more commonly known as the Byzantine Empire, was largely spared the turmoil continental Europe faced during the Dark Ages.  The infamous Attila the Hun, who rampaged through the Balkans, reportedly captured over 100 cities in the Byzantine Empire but did not make an attempt to conquer the Byzantine capital of Constantinople as he considered the walls of the city to be virtually impervious.  Those walls took nine years to build, hurried by Attila?s threatening presence in the Balkans.

In addition to the Empire surviving the onslaught of the Huns, Emperor Justinian I was able to re-conquer much of what the Roman Empire had lost.  In all, the Byzantine Empire thrived for another thousand years after the collapse of the Roman Empire and remained the most significant power in Europe.

Of course, we?ve just glossed over five hundred years of history but I find it extremely interesting that, while the Western Roman Empire plunged into chaos, the Byzantine Empire continued to grow and prosper.  My opinion is going to be utterly unscientific and contain absolutely no historical context whatsoever ? but could it be that the Byzantine Empire returned to prominence because a) it was heavily defensible, and b) Emperor Constantine and others were devout Christians?

Fiscal collapse, brought on by bad fiscal and monetary policy, is the modern day barbarian threat and it will end up affecting the landscape of America, both culturally and geographically.  I can?t help but conclude that, if given the choice, I would have rather lived in Byzantium than in the European Dark Ages.  In closing, I would submit to you that the American Redoubt can become the contemporary Byzantine Empire if we prepare the conditions first.  I?m staking my future on it and so should you.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: will the American Redoubt become the New Byzantium?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Good find DeathStyle!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
Perhaps it will. But this so-called redoubt is usually slated as a collection of western states, correct? Would they have enough natural resources to sustain themselves?

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
If by resources, you mean enough timber to keep their woodstoves going then yes. As far as oil production well... thats still in the R&D phase.  :pirateThumbUp:
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

CrystalHunter1989

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
If by resources, you mean enough timber to keep their woodstoves going then yes. As far as oil production well... thats still in the R&D phase.  :pirateThumbUp:

It's also a densely populated area. They'd need a mass influx to have enough people to fend off attacks.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »

It's also a densely populated area. They'd need a mass influx to have enough people to fend off attacks.

This was a good read.  I've often thought about the concept of the American Redoubt.  I think they will have issues in those states that I hope that those people have planned for.  Depending on how bad a situation becomes, people leaving Commiefornia will most likely head north and east.  Rather than just heading off east through the desert.  I would think that this would mean those in the American Redoubt states will have unwelcome visitors.  And not just a few, more like hoards.  I don't know.  Maybe Ken could tell us.  If you had to leave California on foot which way would you go?  Considering all of the options, if I were in CA and had to leave under those circumstances I'd probably commandeer an "umwanted" boat. (Yes, Umwanted is spelled as intended.)   :cowboy:   

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
If I was near the coast I would steal a sailboat. I would probably head for the Pacific Northwest because Mexico is so corrupt and will get worst post TEOTWAWKI.

In the PNW you have Canada and north of there is Alaska!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking JM.  Or maybe Canada's shoreline.  I was thinking after I wrote that post about the gun laws California has been passing.  At least the hordes traveling across the American Redoubt would only have 10 round magazines.  I was reading today where they are trying to make shooters get a license to be able to buy ammo too, and then they are going to charge additional tax on top of that. 

If that's the case then maybe those hordes traveling through Montana on their way to God knows where will only have sticks and rocks to threaten people with.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »
Welcome Sledge!

In Massachusetts, you have to have a license to buy ammo. It's called a "blue card." Its a pain in my arse as I live in east RI and have to drive for 30 minutes, through MA. to get to western RI to buy ammo. Where 5 minutes across the boarder into MA. is a Mom & Pop gun store.

I tried to get a non-resident blue card but was denied because I was arrested back in 1976 due to a bar room brawl I was involved in while living in SE PA. Apparently even though it is a misdemeanor arrest it was an arrest of violence so I am excluded from buying ammo in MA.  :facepalm:

Offline swampfox

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
Kind of going back to the hords of people from Kalifornia  a lot of them will most likely not be americans but kind of like out of Brackons second book these will be the highly motivated and dangerous Visigoths of our time along with other elements who will have actual military weapons  if things ever got bad
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:29:07 PM by swampfox »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »
 :thumbsUp: Swampfox!