General Category > News & Politics

Tyson foods?

<< < (4/4)

Felix:
Does neighbor Mark or anyone here have knowledge/opinion on one-time canning lids versus reusable lids/seals?

grizz:

--- Quote from: JohnyMac on March 23, 2024, 08:00:15 PM ---My neighbor buys 30+ meat chickens as chicks each year. At the 8-week mark butchers them. I forget the ratio, however,he keeps a certain size range to roast, and the rest he cuts up. He roasts the backs on a grill and when cool simmers them. Once that is done he bottles the broth in 16 and 32 ounce jars. He then process the chicken broth in a pressure caner as per instructions.

When he simmers the grilled bones he uses several veggies in the process. Celery and carrots I think. When he pours the broth into jars, he strains the liquid using cheese cloth.

--- End quote ---

We (a buddy and myself) get a dozen chicks, raise them for a couple of years taking advantage of their prime laying years, and then butcher when the laying drops off. We also replace the butchered ones with new chicks so we are never out of eggs. Extra eggs are gifted to family and friends all the time, we cant eat them all

Chicken bone broth, I absolutely love the fresh home made stuff and it does wonders for my joints and over all health. I would like to hear your canning process for it. I've tried water bath and canning but freezing seems to work the best. Unfortunately freezing takes up a lot of space in the freezer which is why I was trying the other methods

grizz:

--- Quote from: Felix on March 24, 2024, 09:43:16 AM ---Does neighbor Mark or anyone here have knowledge/opinion on one-time canning lids versus reusable lids/seals?

--- End quote ---

I've been re-using lids for many many years. Every now and then I get a jar that didnt seal so I toss it in the fridge and eat it first. If I notice any lids that have been damaged I just throw them away

Nemo:
I am trying to get my wife to try some chickens.  How big a perch would a 200lb man need?

That would be necessary before the first bird went in the henhouse.

Nemo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version