Author Topic: Unemployment Insurance: Extend for 13 weeks or Not  (Read 812 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Unemployment Insurance: Extend for 13 weeks or Not
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
With the newest "drama du jour" raising it's ugly head in the form of extending unemployment insurance benefits for 13 weeks to unemployed Americans, do we extend those benefits to 1.6M folks.

My question to Congress and our President is: If our economy is improving, as is reported daily in the main stream media; why do we need to extend unemployment benefits - For 13 weeks? Once that 13 weeks is over; do we kick the can down the road and extend it another 13 weeks? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

Here is an interesting article I ran across that outlines what the unemployment numbers will look like at the end of 2014.

Here’s the kicker. By the end of 2014 the number of Americans who will lose access to long-term unemployment benefits will be five times higher:

By July, another 1.9 million people will get the boot from extended benefits. By the end of 2014, 1.6 million more will be kicked off, totaling about 5 million Americans.
    Bloomberg

When does it all end?  :facepalm:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: Unemployment Insurance: Extend for 13 weeks or Not
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
Extend them until Congress actually passes job legislation that helps and is effective. Cut Congress' pay until that time too.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
To be specific Crudos, what king of job legislation are you hoping that Congress passes?

Here are some of my thoughts:

> Open up more land for oil and gas exploration. Just look at the unemployment rate in states that
   this kind of industry is booming. ND 2.6%, SD 3.6%, WY 4.4%, OK 5.4%, TX 6.1%...
> Reduce corporate federal tax from 35% down to what it is in Canada, 15%
> Re-write the ACA so employers are not penalized for having more than 50 full time people. Charging
   3.5% tax (as of 2013) on income from a house sale or 2.3% excise tax on medical equipment.
   MrsMac's insulin pump supplies along with the purchase of a new pump get taxed, etc

Those are my top three.

Unchainedpreppers, what job generating legislation would you like to see?

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
To be specific Crudos, what king of job legislation are you hoping that Congress passes?
At this point just about anything, since nothing of real substance or help has passed for the President's signature up to this point, as far as I remember. Of course, that is more than a bit factious solution because I expect neither party to jeopardize it's future in order to help the citizens of this nation. Career first, party second, actually representing your constituents somewhere about at number ninety nine, give or take.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
I agree with your comments 100%!  :thumbsUp: "Career first, party second, actually representing your constituents somewhere about at number ninety nine, give or take."

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »
I just want government to do nothing.... just simply stop trying to help.

Today I got the new start date. Jan. 20th we'll be hitting it hard. Thats a minimum of 6 months of guaranteed work. Were framing a 6 story apartment complex. I have been out of work since I quit in July for Wyoming.  I only started needing financial help from family in November. I did not apply for unemployment. I went to my family for help. Every penny I've barrowed is written down and gets paid back ASAP. There is really not a need for unemployment if a solid community is established.  I had several guys from my old job call me after they heard I was back in CA and unemployed to tell me if I needed anything they would gladly help. My answer was always "Ya you got a job for me?" But it is good to know that I had a safety net for my safety net. And I have and will continue to be other peoples safety too. Screw unemployment. Our community should ensure we can all pick one another up when we fall. Even if you cant help others financially you can help in many other ways. You can physically do work. You can drive the unemployed guy to an interview on your day off. Consider it an investment in your own unemployment insurance. I dont need the government telling me when I've received enough unemployment benefits.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:27:59 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »
WOW Ken...Well written.

You can also invite the unemployed guy/gal/family over for dinner once a week. You can help them write a resume. You can help with your eyes and ears keeping a lookout for a job for them.

There are hundreds of ways to help out unemployed family and neighbors.  :thumbsUp:

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »
You can help with your eyes and ears keeping a lookout for a job for them.

Thats probably the most helpful thing of all. Call in that favor to a buddy, Hit up that neighbor you know is always looking for help, give a stranger you meet in a bar who owns his own business your unemployed persons info.. etc

Good stuff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:45:35 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...