Author Topic: The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey, M.D.  (Read 378 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey, M.D.
« on: December 18, 2021, 06:39:54 PM »
     The Prepper's Medical Handbookby William W. Forgey, M.D. is a good book to have in your medical library.  The book does cover a wide variety of medical subjects, from coping with radiation exposure to bioterrorism and infectious diseases.  Forgey gives solutions that work in an off-grid environment, and he has had extensive experience in wilderness and war situations, as he's also a Vietnam-era vet.

I met Dr. Forgey, some 30+ years ago, while attending a wilderness first-aid course.  Even back then he was well known, as he's also the author of multiple editions of Wilderness Medicine.  Forgey's Prepper's Medical Handbook gives brief solutions to many medical issues, giving just the essential information needed to treat the issue.  Forgey manages to explain medical concepts without using detailed medical jargon, which could confuse the reader.  Forgey also goes into what medical supplies should be stocked for a group, and what quantities are needed for a period of a year and over five years.  He also specifies what the dosages should be required, as well.  I haven't seen this type of specific information anywhere else.

This would not be my only medical book in a grid-down siituation, but it would definitely be used for supplemental information, especially for the medical supplies information.  I find the book is not well illustrated, which is necessary when dealing with medical issues. (The most comprehensive and well illustrated medical book that is currently in my library is Survival and Austere Medicine- An Introduction which is a massive tome).  The Prepper's Medical Handbook is a book that I might throw in my backpack, or have at an outpost, but it's not a must-have book.  It has a good index and it runs 312 pages.

Overall, I give Forgey's work a rating of 3.5 stars out of 5.

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
Re: The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey, M.D.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
Anybody can write about First Aid.
Lots of advice on what to do before victim is taken to a trauma center.
All good, hopefully adequate.   Just as we know "hope" is not a strategy.  "Hope" failing too many  end points where professional care no longer unavailable..
Think _no_ skilled surgeons and an OR available - period.
Think _no_ pharmacist handing over the needed script written by a physician.
Think _no_ dentist to cap a broken tooth or pull an infected one.
Anti-biotics.  Anti-inflammatory drugs.  anti-fungals.   Suture kits to close or not to close wounds?  Nitrile gloves, toothbrushes, soap, pain meds, sterile bandaging supplies, cheat sheets for guidance on efficacy, safety and dosage...  and pliers for pulling teeth???   Books and more books for reference.
Sanitation?  Quarantine?  Body disposal?
It gets real when phone calls and a quick transport are no longer possible.
And medical degrees hanging on office walls aren't being read by anyone.
About the time ammo and stored food become critical... that's when it gets as real as it can be.