Author Topic: The Guerrilla Gunfighter: Clandestine Carry Pistol by John Mosby  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
    I've been meaning to write this review for some time. "The Guerrilla Gunfighter" by John Mosby is a different kind of handgun text.  The format is in the form of a university term paper, double spaced, and lots of footnotes.  Mosby is the nom de plume of an ex-special forces soldier.  He's obviously well read.  The book emphasizes the rationale of why a handgun would be used, and then how to use said gun.  In fact, about a third of the 300 page work focuses on concepts about your tribe, ethical values, etc.

Mosby then transitions to the OODA loop, and how it applies to clandestine pistol carrying.  He does a decent job teaching the intracies of situational awareness.  He spends only 33 pages on actual firearms, optics, holsters and ammunition.  Remember, these are double-spaced pages.   Anyways, he finally gets to the mechanics of drawing and firing a pistol, and he does a good job, with photos providing some additional reference.  Mosby stresses the fundamentals of shooting, and he breaks down the different actions into "micro-actions".  With an emphasis on consistency, Mosby looks at proper grip, natural point of aim, etc.  Throughout this last section of the book, Mosby outlines different drills which should improve your performance.  He also emphasizes the need for a shot timer, in order to factually determine performance improvements. 

Overall, the book doesn't really cover any new ground.   The author has some unconventional viewpoints.  He advocates carrying all the time, and  I agree with him.  I think most instructors would advise you to follow the law, even if the law is stupid.  But he also seems to be willing to go beyond the law, if he feels his family is in jeopardy.  He mentions a road rage incident that outlines his ethical guidelines.  I don't know if he's typical, but his "special forces" attitude of him being the meanest, baddest MF'er gets old.  I get it, he's a tough dude, but I don't need to read about it every 20 pages or so.

I give the book 3 out of 5 stars.  I question whether the book is worth the current price of $55.00, plus shipping.  There are better technical books out there, like "The Modern Gunslinger" or "How to Shoot Like a Navy SEAL".  If you can find a used copy, it might be worth the read.  I'll be keeping the book mostly to refer to the different drills that he describes, otherwise I'll refer to other books.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:24:30 PM by Jackalope »

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Re: The Guerrilla Gunfighter: Clandestine Carry Pistol by John Mosby
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
Quality review.
I like that its also critical..
Often folks have fun reading a book since they dont do it often and like the subject so they automatically give it 5 stars.
Glad it didnt happen this way here.
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
I just received my copy. I ordered the preorder back in August when I ordered his other 3 books. But 4 months and 2-3 follow up emails later I finally got my copy the other day. :facepalm:

VikingPreparedness was very vocal in endorsing it.

Edited to include video
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:28:41 PM by Deathstyle »
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »
   I ordered mine back in August too, with a supposed ship date in September.  I think I received it in November or December.  He had lots of excuses about shipping the books.  But if the author says it'll be shipping in September, then ship it in September, don't whine about being too busy.

Mosby does a good job of self-promotion.  And it seems that those within the SF community watch each others back.  The book isn't bad, but it's not outstanding either.  I guess I expected more for my money, than I received.  If I wanted to read someone's college term paper, I'd play professor for a while.  The good thing is that there's lots of good references out there, you just have to weed through them.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
I haven't had a chance to read it yet despite receiving my copy a while back, but I am glad I read your review first. I appreciate the pros and cons given. As someone who has never read a book like that, I will give my feedback once I read it.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:08:25 PM »
Thx for your review Jackalope.  :thumbsUp:

I have read several books by him and like you Jackalope, the tough-guy persona is tiring. The toughest guys I have met seemed to be quite and did not draw attention to themselves. Why would they...They are tough guys and know it. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 04:03:33 PM »
....The toughest guys I have met seemed to be quite and did not draw attention to themselves. Why would they...They are tough guys and know it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »
Its really sad that he overprices his books and doesn't offer digital copies for international readers.
Never could read one of his books, although I enjoyed much of what he wrote in his blog.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »
OMG! He Lives!!

I agree with ya' APX808.  :thumbsUp:  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.