Author Topic: Escaping Home by A. American  (Read 3888 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Escaping Home by A. American
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »
Well I just completed A. Americans (Angery American and yes that is how he spells angry) new book, Escaping Home. I bought it used from Amazon for around $6.00 + shipping and it is a signed copy.

In short AA's books are becoming reading for teenagers and mall Ninja's. If you can get a copy for nothing and have no other books to read then go for it, otherwise hang onto your money. 

Last, I found out that AA has a site now: www.angeryamerican.net I lurked for a bit and it was weak too.  :facepalm:

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
Re: Escaping Home by A. American
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
I thought it was fun for the rush and entertainment, but books like this, where the character has all these outlandish things happen to them, I take with a grain of salt. Even Lights Out was too farfetched in many areas, and it's considered a pretty decent novel. The only one I've seen thus far that seems closest to reality (and was good enough to reach mainstream readers) is One Second After.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
I really liked Patriots by James Rawles. I know the grammar was average but to me, the story line was believable. Let the  :shitStorm: begin...

I also liked Unintended Consequences by John Ross. I think it is back in print as of this year. The book was banned in Canada and the UK.

Of course my favorite book of this genera was Steven King's, The Stand.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
Patriots wasn't that great to me. Instead of Lights Out, where you have a really lucky two guys who are "given" thousands of dollars worth of coins and Federal IOUs, you have Patriots, where a group of people with elite skill sets and like minds all come together and prepare starting a decade beforehand. Then, based only on a decade or less of preparation, they have literally everything they could need, at just the right time, and for the most part (in terms of preparedness), nothing really goes wrong. Or, if it does, they soon find a replacement. There are no kids, despite the fact that half of them are in serious relationships and in their mid-thirties or later, so for me and many other thousands upon thousands of preppers who have infants, toddlers, or small children, there are a lot of things that would probably need to be different that aren't addressed. I treat the book as just a "wish list" of stuff you could have, not as a truly achievable thing.

It would be much more believable if their preparations had not been worth so much (tons of equipment, guns, ammo - literally, probably a couple of tons of it), and if just one couple had some kids. That's one thing I don't see addressed very often except in the slightest fashion regarding preparedness - topics targeting families with children, or at least discussing all the various topics with children in mind. You want to have enough food to last you ten years, and by then grow your own if the system isn't up? How old are you going to be? Going to be in perfect condition? Going to patrol, grow/forage for food, repair things, all the chores ten years from now? Kids are people and I love mine, but they're also an insurance policy. You're going to need that younger, stronger back, that fresher mind and reflexes, that gung-ho attitude that youth brings.

Now, I'm not saying everyone should have kids.  :lmfao: I know some people who would probably strangle them in their sleep from pure annoyance. However, enough people have children, need children, will have children, that it should be a much bigger topic than I've seen over the past few years.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
Patriots is extremely bad, not only because of the poor language but also because of the unbelievable group of prepper millionaires without lives except prepping, who also happen to be catholic extremists with vigilante tendencies.

The only thing I can complain about Morgan's books is that is extremely trigger happy.
I also wouldn't like to see the series becoming the next "299 days" where the author starts mass producing a shit load of extremely short novels just to sell you a lot of books.

I didn't read "Escaping Home" yet, but is the next book after I finish "Metro 2033", then I'll do my review.

BTW, John why you didn't buy a kindle yet? Its only 90 bucks, and you get Amazon immediate delivery via whispernet and also you can read "evaluation copies" from other sources.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
You don't need to buy a Kindle to read its E-Books.

Just download it for PC.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
Yup, but reading from a screen sucks.

The kindle feels like a book and you can read it while drinking adult beverages on the deck :D

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
Oh, it's definitely preferable. I used to read constantly when my Android was alive and well. I just read on the computer now...but at least I can access my books!  :)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »
I have a kindle program on my PC. I actually do download ebooks but only ones I know my wife will not want to read. She has been reading the A.American series along with me.

She reads the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) everyday - Print edition. When up at the cabin it is delivered via US Postal Service as there is no carrier near the cabin.  :facepalm:

I bought her a desk top PC for Christmas in 1998. She used it several times but only when I pushed her to do so.

MrsMac has a cell phone but only uses it as a phone - No texting or email.  :facepalm: The bad thing is she misses a lot. Good thing, she is practically none existent when you google her name.

Through-out my copy of Patriots, I have highlighted 100's of things that I then did research on. It gave me a starting point over the years for my preps.

When I read a book, I have a adult beverage and a highlighter on the end table next to me. One of the criteria that I use to judge a book is what info I can get from it. I only got two things from Escaping Home. The first book, Going Home, was a treasure trove of things for me.

I use my laptop on the deck drinking an adult beverage and my ever present high lighter.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:21 PM »
Have any of you read the Life As We Knew It series by Susan Beth Pfeffer?  I really loved the first book - the others have been good, but not as gripping as the first one.  It's one of the best "realistic" series for post-apocalyptic stuff, IMHO.  No preppers, though.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
Thanks Wellie, I will have to read them!  :thumbsUp:

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »
Did you know that A.American edited just another book in the series called "Forsaking Home"?

http://amzn.com/B00H87S3BG

EDIT: Sorry isn't edited yet, is just for pre-order, release date seems to be June 24, 2014
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:49:18 PM by APX808 »