Communications > Computer COMSEC Lessons

2 - Cryptography

<< < (2/2)

pkveazey:

--- Quote from: JoJo on April 17, 2018, 10:47:24 AM ---PK,  I am no wheres near a cryptographer but I love to do cryptograms and I use the system you mention exactly.  Also sometimes three letter words that are used multiple times in a paragraph are THE, AND and YOU

--- End quote ---

Yep... If you aren't creative and think about how to befuddle the enemy, you're screwed. The one thing that I constantly have to remind myself is that no matter how smart I am, somebody is probably stubborn enough to keep trying and will eventually break my codes.

bennington.camper:
And of course the intended application should dictate the complexity of the system.
For instance, if SHTF and all you are trying to do is limit comprehension of time sensitive information like, 'I'm going to the store now', the code used could be simple and easy to understand by the involved parties. It's purpose is limited in intent, as the time to decode may be longer than the information has value.

pkveazey:
Camper is absolutely right. Don't waste a good complex code on immediate actions. Use it on long term actions that might be next week or even next month.

pkveazey:
This post has quite a bit of age on it but I thought I might add a simple code that I call the "LIARS CODE". Let's say you radioed someone to meet you at the North end of Jones' bridge at 12 o'clock midnight and come alone. Then, your message would really mean for someone to meet you at the South end of Jones' bridge at 12 o'clock noon and not come alone. Then if the message is intercepted then they would end up at the wrong location, be 12 hours late, and expect just 2 people to show up. Then when nobody showed up at that time and place, they would start suspecting that they had a rat in their organization and they wouldn't trust their own people. Another good one would be something like this. We have plenty of Food, Water, Gasoline and Ammo. Do not bring any of those items. Obviously, it would mean that you need all those items.

JohnyMac:
This is a form of a Brevity code.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version