Author Topic: Good day, from South Africa  (Read 2776 times)

BoerBoet

Good day, from South Africa
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:59:56 AM »
I am from South Africa. Here to learn and perhaps share some of my knowledge and experience. I am in my 30's, fish and hunt, married. Grew up in the country side, living in the city for the past few years. I am preparing to survive civil unrest / civil war.   

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Good day, from South Africa
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
welcome!
be sure to take advantage of the archived posts and i look forward to your post's.

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 08:23:48 AM »
I think the number of Saffers we have rolling into UP lately is a good indication of the general feeling down here. We are in the midst of the most wide spread unrest in years and I believe it's only the beginning.

Welcome boet.
I'd rather be crazy than dead.

The imperial system is a tool of the devil.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/measurement-conversions.htm

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

BoerBoet

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
Thank you / dankie.

BoerBoet

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
They may take our lives but they will never take our freedom!!

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »
Would you care to share some of the preps that you have put in place or plan to? Always interesting to see what other people find important, been listening to the same old dogs barking on about their efforts   :hiding:  for so long that's it's nice when there's new blood around. You mentioned that you moved to the city, would you plan to bug out back to the county side when shtf or simply bunker down and hope for the best?

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
With the recent election results I got a bit of a suspicion something might get going up here.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
Welcome BoerBoet to UnchainedPreppers!  :pirateThumbUp:

Good group of men & women here and I can see you already met thedigininja who is a good bloke.

Things are heating up all over the globe however, I am glad for the time being here and not where you are.

I have a friend from California who attended the 505 Worlds in Cape Town a while back. He loved the people where he stayed however went out one night with a few friends to hit a local bar or two. Apparently things didn't go well and were chased by a rough black crowd back to their hotel.

Where they were given a rather nasty talking too by the security of the hotel. This same security told them not to wander to far from the hotel earlier in the evening.

Welcome!  :cheers:   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:02:02 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

BoerBoet

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »
@Johny –   In CT you might begin the night chasing skirt until you are chased by not so friendly characters. Rather have a braai/bbq at home I always I say.

@thedigininja – Thank you for the welcome. Ninja, I am definitely getting out the city. It is a simple matter of demographics (density) and proximity of their townships. Without law and order they loot what they can (Will kill if you try to stop them), in principle a house is no different. It is impossible to survive a siege of that nature without a relief force.
I will leave early and often, in other words, I will leave early and come back many times rather than being stuck here. I will, like you guessed, definitely bug out back to the country side. Daar waar die Boere bly. 
Where I come from everybody are preppers, even if they have never heard the term. I do ok here, but I miss the country, city life is not for me. They have different shoes for every day of the week, I have been wearing my Jim Green leather boots every day for donkey years. 
As for preps, I focus mainly on protection, maps and food. I have 200kg white rice, and a lot of canned food (Beans, sardines and bully beef mostly, some mixed veg and mixed fruit), 25kg salt. Still, it will only support us for about 8-9 months, but that is about as much as my trailer can handle along with fuel, water and other general stuff.
I don’t keep much fancy stuff, although I do plan to get a drone.   
Ninja, are you up in the Highveld?

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »
Would guess you also have a father/uncles who were in the border war like many of our generation do? It's always interesting to me how many people raise their eyebrow when one brings up prepping until you enquire about how their families expenses for ammo and canned food etc increased in '94.

Drones are fantastic tools, we built a few back when I was doing farm patrols. They were incredibly primitive compared to the ones that you can buy nowadays but even so, it made our lives indescribably easier.

Highveld born and bred but made the decision to trek to outside CT a number of years ago, it made the most sense in the long run. Far enough from the city, coast and nuclear power plant to avoid immediate danger. Close enough to the wine lands and mountains to disappear if it becomes absolutely necessary.  Jhb is and absolute death trap.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:42 PM »
FYI:  I don't know if you South Africans are aware or not that most Americans have no clue about what really happened in SA in '94...or what really led up to it.  The U.S. news media was/is biased to an obscene degree about the situation in SA.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:32:07 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 07:29:38 AM »
SK, to be honest with you I'm not even sure how much of the truth we who live here know but '94 was really just another step in another wrong direction for us.
The S.A. government was under a lot of pressure from the rest of the world to end segregation (called apartheid here), with the USA being probably the most vocal about it.  And although it was the right thing to do, we went about it all wrong.

The Border War was actually an extension of the cold war where our soldiers were pitted against the "rooi gevaarte" (red terror), being the communists. Now our current ruling party, the ANC, was part of those communist forces and of our last 4 presidents, 3 were active in the military wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party.

So basically overnight we went from political and religious leaders on both sides telling us that it was our duty to kill each other to having those same people tell us that we're brothers and need to share everything, with the vast majority of the population still under generations worth of indoctrination against one another.

There was no transition period to allow for adjustment and pre-emptive development.

Between 93 and 95 there was this immense fear that once these people who had been oppressed for decades gained control of the entire country it would become open season on the white population so basically every household and business in the country started stockpiling. When I still worked in broadcasting we were converting an old security office into a studio and actually found part of a cache still hidden under the floor.
(you'll be surprised how quickly 15 year old riot gas can clear out a building if it accidentally goes off next to an aircon duct)

That all out attack still hasn't come (although it's not looking impossible at the moment) but there is a definite genocide in effect. Over the last 20 years more white farmers and (mostly elderly) civilians have been massacred in their homes than we had casualties on both sides during the entire conflict and as much as I try to scour international media I can barely find a mention of it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:34:57 AM by thedigininja »

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
Thanks for that short but concise explanation thedigininja   :pirateThumbUp:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:47:27 AM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
 :-[

BoerBoet

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 04:37:33 AM »
@Ninja - My old man was an officer in the navy. His younger brothers were career army, fought extensively in Angola and took part in special operations in various other countries.

I also want to move out the city like you, to the rural Cape, WC or NC (including the very western EC). In effect, you have already, as Americans call it, bugged-out. You are very smart to have done that.

I own a business that depends on me operating it. I am working on a plan that allows the business to run itself without my presence, not easy. This may take too much time, as such I have made extensive preparations to leave here at a moments notice. I have invested extensively on map and route planning. I have also joined other individuals and groups of like minded (in some cases I do not agree with their every belief, nonetheless, our like-mindedness far out ways our differences).

We will face many hardships on the way, but I am confident that we will make it. Once there we can fortify our general position.   

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
Whoops thedigininja I clicked on the wrong emoticon. Fixed it though.

I found your short and concise outline GREAT.  :pirateThumbUp:

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
Ah, I see what I did there. No, unfortunately, we're not rural yet.  I did plaaswag for the experience and training.  Lost a lot of good people, almost every week we would get news that one of our contacts were victims of a farm attack. Still on the fringe of suburbs and rural but we are looking at small holdings and aiming to move within the year.

I know your pain, I'm in the same boat with the business but I can run mine from anywhere in WC so I'm a little less restricted.

NC would be nice (secluded and land is dirt cheap) but I would be hard pressed to leave WC.

Strength in numbers is good. It is a much debated subject on the forum but I believe the majority of us are under agreement that trying to survive as a lone wolf is ill advised (unless you're graynomad, anyone know where he is nowadays?).

Aaah, Jmac. No stress :thumbsUp:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
I googled plaaswag and it came up with one monster size dog.  Nearly large enough to saddle up. 

I presume that is not what you refer to.  I suspect something like National Guard or ROTC in the U.S.  Details please.

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
@ Nemo - probably, "farm watch".

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
Local minutemen across the lower end of the pond.

Nemo  :bravo:

Offline thedigininja

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 04:15:12 AM »
HAHA!  Nemo, I know the dog you mean, we call it a boerboel (not actually sure how it translates. Some have told me it means Big Farmer others have told me it means Farmers Love. I honestly have no idea) it's breed of mastiff, my uncle raised one that was over 100kg. Quite amusing since he drove a classic Mini and removed the passenger seat so that the dog could fit in the car with him.

Yes. Sorry.  My default setting kicked in there. Kbop is right, it translates to farm watch.  After the South African Commando System, which was a volunteer military wing aimed at safe guarding rural areas, was disbanded it was kept alive as "clubs" where people could hone their skills and was more of a social group.  In some areas where policing is near non existent some of these clubs joined up with Community Policing and neighbourhood watches and unofficially started   the "plaaswag" as far as I know it has different names depending on the area but basically the same thing, a number of civilians (usually assisted by ex military and police) who take it upon themselves to try and protect the rural areas. 

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
I suggest a very good translation would be just plain Big Dog.  Because that is one mighty big dog.  220 pounds is about the biggest one I have ever seen.  That would make excellent perimeter watch/defense as well as cargo transport.  Problem is you would have to take a zebra every other day to feed them.

But I hear zebra steaks fried in monkey fat is excellent.  After feeding the hound there might be enough left to feed a person or 2.

Nemo
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:12:43 AM by Nemo »

BoerBoet

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
Ninja, you still in the right geographic Meneer. 

They forced all our Kommando’s to disband. Said it will be replaced by “area policing” and many other plans, schemes and promises. Nothing of the sort has ever materialised. Private security firms and volunteer organisations now do what the Kommando has done for 300 years.

Farms are far from each other thus isolated so that when we arrive it is often too late. 4 000 have been killed, only 30 000 left.

The ANC regime has done Nothing and doing nothing is doing something. They are, in fact, implicit in the murder of my people.

They even deny the farm killings. They call it normal crime. I have come upon scenes, some were family. I can assure you that these were not normal crimes, Extreme torture.
I come from a family of farmers, I was meant to take over my grandfather’s farm.
Now I live in the city, a strange life.

But may I assure you of this, the last Boer battle has not yet been fought.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 10:28:44 PM »
FYI:  I don't know if you South Africans are aware or not that most Americans have no clue about what really happened in SA in '94...or what really led up to it.  The U.S. news media was/is biased to an obscene degree about the situation in SA.

I tried to read as much boots on the ground information on it as I could get my hands on a few years back.  It was very bad.