Communications > Comm Discussion

so this is likely a kind of dumb question on packet radio -

(1/5) > >>

mfitzy111:
a few years ago I signed up and joined Amrron ( I even paid a little and bought their PDF SOI -seems this would be an easy setup to sell an SOI (digital PDF document via etsy)) -I like what they were doing and still do. I made a few check ins on their digital nets- downloaded AIBs a few times, and since my system is dated I actually accidently disrupted their nets also. My ongoing issue is I have an old junker laptop from 2012, and I could get FLdigi to run, but when I ran that app and Js8Call the system would basically flip out and transmit until I killed the radio. With out knowing what they are saying via Js8 call because I never could get that app to function on windows 7/ I sent requests over requests not realizing I was crushing them trying to TX while I was stepping all over them...I know it sounds as bad as it was. I don't really have funds to replace a laptop for this one issue, and it works on most other apps - (like APRSIS- tx/rx APRS packets using a TNCX.) lesson learned on digital tx, and only talking when it's your turn.

so moving along about packet radio ...I'm moving in to packet radio and even ordered cables and should have at least one 2 m rig on packet this week (goal is having two TNCs/radios/one PI and one PC/ BBS and email on both units...- I'm taking my ARPS radio out of service and jumping over to packet radio, I have HF on a signal link/or USB sound modem and can get on HF packet on the 14.105 network.  so here comes my question - since I don't have a lot of people to actually contact I'm wondering would there be any people out there willing to get AIBs or any automated systems that I can get them via packet radio -over the packet network???

-that is if I am able to get on the packet networks (the nearest one I can hit and get on BBS is about 93 miles away - I'm located at Elk mtn, and that station is the MRN node near Danville, Pa. I can talk to other stations as I was able to hear them using the TNCX and software, but I had issues making connections.

I want to setup BBS, and email on the kentronics KPC+3 and I'm slowly researching videos on how-to get on other BBS systems. my end goal is finding info like those amrron AIBs, weather or some other info that I couldn't get locally -using the packet radio network. I can already just bring up message in APRS - type: wxbot - weather...and it will take your location info, and spit out today's weather...I doubt packet radio can do the same. so I'm questioning if it's really going to be useful in finding useful information.

I've seen some clubs online using packet, I've seen some online videos of preppers using packet radio at retreats on solar power backup systems, I think that EOCs sending text messages during an emergency would be smarter then going to voice -since lists of info would be easy to read vs hoping you heard it right as you copied down items for the list...so it makes sense.

I guess I need to get back on winlink, get updated versions of software for HF, outpost ect...and figure out how to config it once I've got all cables to get the kentronics KPC+3 hooked up and setup. I got derailed back in 2019 when my little brother passed so things like winlink need to be setup again.

Mfitzy111 - (Mike)

Jackalope:
It seems like packet is popular only in limited areas.  Packet radio was very active 20-25 years ago, but it seems like APRS has supplemented and/or replaced packet radio on VHF/UHF frequencies.  The long time hams up in your neck of the woods will hopefully chime in to let you know what's available.

JohnyMac:
I hear ya' mfitzy, money is tight at times in our lives. Here are two suggestions for FLdigie computers.

ebay - Evolve III Maestro Ebook 11G Notebook $99-

https://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-Display-Quad-Core-Processor-Storage/dp/B08SZD2RGF/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 - $60-

I know two folks that have the Evolve exclusively for digital comms. They love it for that application.

I have another friend that is working on getting the tablet up and running for digital comms. I will post what he develops for that medium.

Sir John Honeybucket:
Packet is rather fragile on HF.  I used it for about a decade in the early years (1990's).  On VHF / UHF it's fine, but you need to ask who you're planning to communicate with, because they require a compatible hardware set-up, instead of the FREEWARE FLdigi program.

I use an old Toughbook.  It's slow, but is SO well made and tough, that I could probably use to to fight my way out of a riot down town.  The Windows in it was so unstable that I replaced it with Linux Mint and that solved the instability problem for me.  I am NOT a computer guy, so if my computer does not 'compute' as desired, I am not going to sit a try to troubleshoot the operating system.

I do NOT run multiple communications programs at the same time - the processor in my laptop locks-up when I try that kind of heavy tasking on my old laptop. When it's AIB time, I use FLdigi, FLamp and FLmsg - that's it.  For JS8call I run ONLY JS8call. That's what I do, for me personally, and of course your mileage may vary. 

- Sir John Honeybucket

Obh:
I just upgraded my laptop in January. I typically run radio multiple programs at once. Fldigi, vARIM, js8call. The trick for getting fldigi and js8call to run nice together is to use flrig for rig control. vARIM is another PITA, but after getting additional tips from some of the amrron guys, I have that running with FLrig as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version