Author Topic: Radio Transmissions Affected  (Read 154 times)

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
Radio Transmissions Affected
« on: May 14, 2024, 08:58:33 AM »
https://spaceweather.com/
Is anyone having difficulty?

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Radio Transmissions Affected
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 10:42:47 AM »
If you are, and are wondering why-- click below and you will see why.

Nemo

https://unchainedpreppers.com/forum/general-discussion/northern-lights-visible-from-central-virginia/new/#new
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 05:26:52 PM »
We'll find out later this evening when the ERIN net is scheduled.  There was another X-class flare this morning.  Stay tuned!

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 07:56:41 PM »
The flares aren't effecting propagation too bad on 40 meters, as I can copy the NCS station on the ERIN net and he's about 1000 miles away.

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 09:47:18 PM »
The last few days, yes, the solar-terrestrial storms have cause HF blackouts.  Nets on higher bands which I ordinarily take part in were either not readable at all, or mostly weak with deeeeep fades.  The plus side is that many friend got to see the aurora borealis and posted pics of the multi-colour sky glow, , so, that's part is enjoyable.

73 de Ray  ..._ ._
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 09:33:56 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of my propagation at my AO for last nights net. There was basically NO noise level. It was eerily quiet. With that written, folks to the west or east of me about 30 miles, they were having a tough time hearing me and I could barely hear them.

For the past week, I have been disconnecting the antennas from my radios.  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 02:24:16 PM »

For the past week, I have been disconnecting the antennas from my radios.  :thumbsUp:

Most of my exterior antennas are disconnected, except when they're actually being used.  The only exception are my scanners, and they use an attached collapsible antenna.  I use quick disconnect PL-259/SO-239 adapters, which makes the disconnect process easy, especially when I need to daily reconnect an antenna for various nets.

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 07:33:46 PM »
Sir John and I had our weekly cw sked on Tuesday.  I was pushing 5W on the 30m band into an inverted V.  Our signal reports were lower than last week.  There was notable fading as well as some static crashes from t-storms between us, but we got it done. 
I'm curious, was there any difference in signal quality between the digital and phone parts of the net?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 08:05:29 PM »
Great question Cooter.

I do the ERIN Digital net on 75 meters. Well last night propagation was weak and their was a lot of static crashes. Part of the issue is we should move the digital net to 40-meters for the summer. We will do that starting June.

Cooter, always great getting your reports from Sir John. Thx for taking the time to send them  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline cooter

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 11:24:48 AM »

Cooter, always great getting your reports from Sir John. Thx for taking the time to send them  :thumbsUp:

That's all down to Sir John.  He volunteered to hold weekly skeds, and puts up with my limited skills.  I really do need to work harder at improving my copying skills.