Communications > Comm Discussion

New Linux Distro: SigIntOS

<< < (2/4) > >>

JohnyMac:
There is a guy who always has a booth at ham fests. He sells reconditioned laptops and desk tops for cheap. Under $100-.

I want to buy one of his laptops and set it up for Linux. That laptop will be dedicated for ham radio functions, e.g. FLdigi.

Kbop:
for those interested, SigintOS runs an Ubuntu backbone and kernel.

gadget99:
Great stuff.....

I look forward to the review.

Might pull one of the toughbooks out of the Faraday storage and give it a run myself.

Need to refresh the stored computers soon anyway.

Cheers

patriotman:

--- Quote from: NC Scout on May 08, 2019, 01:42:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: patriotman on May 08, 2019, 07:51:37 AM ---I anxiously await your opinion. I am converting my laptop to linux and was gonna roll with linuxmint as suggested this past weekend at your class but if this OS is good I may roll with that distro since my laptop is being set up fot SIGCEN usage.

--- End quote ---

Mint is more of a general purpose-type deal. An alternative to Windows or Mac OS. SigInt looks pretty barebones as far as a general purpose machine goes, but I do plan on getting a pawn shop special or two to test it on.

--- End quote ---

I figured as much. I could always roll with linuxmint and just run sigint in a VM...

gadget99:

--- Quote from: patriotman on May 09, 2019, 05:45:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: NC Scout on May 08, 2019, 01:42:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: patriotman on May 08, 2019, 07:51:37 AM ---I anxiously await your opinion. I am converting my laptop to linux and was gonna roll with linuxmint as suggested this past weekend at your class but if this OS is good I may roll with that distro since my laptop is being set up fot SIGCEN usage.

--- End quote ---

Mint is more of a general purpose-type deal. An alternative to Windows or Mac OS. SigInt looks pretty barebones as far as a general purpose machine goes, but I do plan on getting a pawn shop special or two to test it on.

--- End quote ---

I figured as much. I could always roll with linuxmint and just run sigint in a VM...

--- End quote ---

I have mint on a few in storage. A good solid distro.

I am looking to get another server to add to the cage for larger prep needs. Will probably have it to run multiple VM's so I can fulfil the majority of my wider plans. I have 20 WYSE terminals to set up for different requirements.

Here is a taste of what the end setup will be for.

1. A hospital record system.
2. A disaster management system (Sahana Eden)
3. A biometric registration system.

For the Biometric thing I have acquired a bunch of PIER 2.4 mobile Iris scanners. The PIER's have the capacity to hold the Iris identities of the whole population of the Island.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version