Communications > Comm Discussion

MAG Radio Standardization

(1/2) > >>

Jackalope:
   A relatively large MAG(50+) has no direction regarding communications.  Their executive committee knows enough about radios to be dangerous, so I've been asked to give them some assistance.  A large part of the group do have their amateur radio licenses, but most of those have their technician licenses, and they have limited practical experience.  The group is promoting GMRS equipment, and many have obtained their GMRS licenses.

I'm thinking of a layered communications system, using GMRS and CB's for neighborhood communications, and ham radio to tie it all together due to the size and topography of the area.  My thinking is to come up with some sort of standardization of the radios and the radio programming.  In my experience, standardization helps with troubleshooting, and it makes life easier for those that are not tech oriented.  Radios could be programmed for use on the ham bands and to receive on the GMRS frequencies.  I'm thinking of coming up with four model suggestions, two budget radios and two in the mid range price, so two portables and two mobile/base radios in different price brackets.  What have other groups done?  What models work for your group?

In another MAG that I'm involved with, we have been using Yaesu System Fusion portables, and TYT DMR portables, but both of these models are in the mid to upper price range, though they have some interesting capabilities.  I will not be suggesting UV-5R's, as I consider those particular models to be disposable radios.  However, I do like the Baofeng UV-9R Pro's and the Baofeng AR-152 models, because they seem more durable and weather resistant.  So, what are your groups using, and how well do they work?

JohnyMac:
Standardization is important. It is a necessity for training and actual field exercises. This is what MY MAG has agreed to and are using.

HF Xiego G90

VHF/UHF AnyTone AT-778UV

10/11m AnyTone AT-6666 11m = CB

Jackalope:
     Thanks, Johny, for the feedback.  Gee, I already have two out of the three radios.  Went with a Stryker SR-94HPC for 10/11 meters.

JohnyMac:
 :thumbsUp: :cheers:

Great minds think alike.  ;)

Trail Ninja:

--- Quote from: Jackalope on October 05, 2023, 10:13:21 AM ---   A relatively large MAG(50+) has no direction regarding communications.  Their executive committee knows enough about radios to be dangerous, so I've been asked to give them some assistance.  A large part of the group do have their amateur radio licenses, but most of those have their technician licenses, and they have limited practical experience.  The group is promoting GMRS equipment, and many have obtained their GMRS licenses.

I'm thinking of a layered communications system, using GMRS and CB's for neighborhood communications, and ham radio to tie it all together due to the size and topography of the area.  My thinking is to come up with some sort of standardization of the radios and the radio programming.  In my experience, standardization helps with troubleshooting, and it makes life easier for those that are not tech oriented.  Radios could be programmed for use on the ham bands and to receive on the GMRS frequencies.  I'm thinking of coming up with four model suggestions, two budget radios and two in the mid range price, so two portables and two mobile/base radios in different price brackets.  What have other groups done?  What models work for your group?

In another MAG that I'm involved with, we have been using Yaesu System Fusion portables, and TYT DMR portables, but both of these models are in the mid to upper price range, though they have some interesting capabilities.  I will not be suggesting UV-5R's, as I consider those particular models to be disposable radios.  However, I do like the Baofeng UV-9R Pro's and the Baofeng AR-152 models, because they seem more durable and weather resistant.  So, what are your groups using, and how well do they work?

--- End quote ---

This is a helpful topic Jackalope.  I've been using my spare time to take another look at licensing; getting my general class.  I've also taken a deep dive into GMRS and will be going that route as a quick solution to a no cell service scenario.  I have several BF-A58 radios, one Wouxun KG-UV6D and one BF-UV5R.  But, the BF-UV9R looks like a decent radio.  My main unit is the Yaesu FT-891, and I use it to tune into the net, but my antenna set is for portable operation and my current living situation lacks trees; I need another antenna config. 

I'm looking for direction on fast tracking the acquisition of my general license.  I know the Technicians comes first and I believe I can take the test on-line.  I have the ARRL General Class License Manual, Ninth Edition (yup, been procrastinating that long), and will be ordering the Technicians Class Manual 2-day.  Until then, what about GMRS and the use of repeaters?  I see that there are 8  GMRS channels (R15-R22) that can be used with repeaters.  Those same frequencies (467...MHz TX and 462...MHz RX) can transmit at 50 watts.  But, I could use some guidance with my handhelds because they only transmit at 5 watts max output.  I have been programming my radios manually, so I think I can add both TX an RX frequencies, but I'm not sure (yet) what "tones" are all about.

Thoughts?

TN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version