Author Topic: Communication solutions  (Read 11172 times)

Offline Rail Driver

• Novice Prepper
  • Initial Success or Total Failure
Communication solutions
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »
So I've been thinking about this CISPA bill that is in the house right now, and it's got me wondering...

What kinds of communications solutions are there that don't rely on infrastructure or the internet? IE, SHTF coms - two-way, shortwave, etc... Something that can be bought, salvaged, or assembled from bits and pieces? I'm interested in long range and short range applications, separately, but not necessarily mutually exclusive.
█████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is█████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.██ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██. ███ ███ This update has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed.

Offline Skippy00004

• Committed prepper
Re: Communication solutions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
https://www.torproject.org/ <-- Anonymously browse the internet

https://www.torproject.org/docs/android.html.en <-- Anonymously Browse internet on Android phones, plus anonymous messaging application.

Just some quick ideas.
Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain...

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence." --Mahatma Ghandi

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
Hey Skippy, TOR works over Internet and RailDriver is looking for something independent of internet.

RailDriver, what you are looking for is called FreeNetwork, basically its a group of wireless nodes that provide free data transit, you should check http://www.freenetworks.org/ for more info.

A friend of mine runs a node of BuenosAiresLibre, that is one of those networks.
The problem is that you need many people being member of the network for it to be interesting and being able to route packages using different routes, and the people on it are total nerds.

You need to have big antennas because the frequency used in wi-fi needs line of sight and forget about all those electronics surviving an EMP.

A few years ago there was something called packet radio, that were extremely slow modems running over HAM radios, I think no one uses that anymore as it was extremely slow.

Offline Rail Driver

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of shortwave radio nodes ( I know enough people that would be interested that with enough range I could cover communications from Pensacola to Gainesville, to Tampa) or relay type coms. Voice coms primarily, though some form of text messaging support would be nice.

The lower the technical skill threshold required, the better. I'm working on building a local prepping group and I'm looking for ways to maintain coms outside of telephone or internet.

CB radio is going to likely be the base of our coms network if I can find enough gear simply because it's the easiest thing I can think of, but budget is a concern. We will probably look into bartering for most of it and buying what we can't barter for.
█████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is█████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.██ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██. ███ ███ This update has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
So I've been thinking about this CISPA bill that is in the house right now, and it's got me wondering...

What kinds of communications solutions are there that don't rely on infrastructure or the internet? IE, SHTF coms - two-way, shortwave, etc... Something that can be bought, salvaged, or assembled from bits and pieces? I'm interested in long range and short range applications, separately, but not necessarily mutually exclusive.
For long-range and medium-range communications, a amateur shortwave set-up will work great. For short-range, CB radio or a VHF set-up would be your solution. Lots of equipment out there, some cheap, some not so cheap. Befriend a local ham guy and soak up as much information as possible. Unfortunately there is no prepper-ready-no-experience-necessary-everything-in-one-box solution. That said, there should be, don't you think?

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »
I would LOVE to get into HAM but haven't had the money. currently, all I've got outside the commercial cellphone/internet market is a pretty decent set of Cobra two-ways, and a cheap Cobra CB. The unit is more than enough but I have a "less than sufficient" antenna so once I rig up a decent antenna I should be able to reach out several miles further than the 5-6 miles I'm currently getting.

I know there's nothing secure about CB and two-way but it's all I got for right now.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

1000meterstare

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
Are you kidding me?  That's the ONLY thing I look forward to in WROL.  Not being bothered... [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Offline Rail Driver

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
You know, the more I think about it, a couple decent CB base stations and a portable unit or two might be just the ticket... Anyone know where I should start looking aside from digging around the internet? (ie, a confirmed source or someone you know that has some stuff they'd happily swap or sell?)

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
You know, the more I think about it, a couple decent CB base stations and a portable unit or two might be just the ticket... Anyone know where I should start looking aside from digging around the internet? (ie, a confirmed source or someone you know that has some stuff they'd happily swap or sell?)

looking for what? if you're looking for CB equipment I know most truck stops carry everything you need.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline moga

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of shortwave radio nodes ( I know enough people that would be interested that with enough range I could cover communications from Pensacola to Gainesville, to Tampa) or relay type coms. Voice coms primarily, though some form of text messaging support would be nice.

The lower the technical skill threshold required, the better. I'm working on building a local prepping group and I'm looking for ways to maintain coms outside of telephone or internet.

CB radio is going to likely be the base of our coms network if I can find enough gear simply because it's the easiest thing I can think of, but budget is a concern. We will probably look into bartering for most of it and buying what we can't barter for.

Look into HF digital modes for text messaging without an Internet connection. There are several varieties of keyboard to keyboard protocols that are viable for impressive distances on surprisingly low power. Aside from the required license, digimode requires a computer on each end connected to a SW transceiver (HAM radio) and a software application running on the PC to format the incoming and outgoing messages. The system can be powered by external battery and will facilitate inter- or intra-state comms, even international. The downside is that becoming licensed and setting up a digital station isn't exactly a low tech endeavor and the antenna setup can be rather involved for the newly initiated.

Outside of HF, I think VHF simplex (point to point) will be your best bet. I imagine the 2 meter simplex airwaves will be much less congested than the channels on 11m and transmission/reception range is greatly superior on VHF. Although, without a sophisticated setup on both ends, I don't know about Pensacola to Gainesville to Tampa voice traffic on simplex. You're definitely going to need shortwave HAM radio for that, forget citizens band.

I'm in the process of building a SW station for e-comms that can be setup on a temporary basis to fill the same need that you have. About 50% there.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" -- Thomas Jefferson
------------------------------
Forewarned is forearmed.

Proud GCO & SAF supporter

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Moga, thanks for the info and welcome to the forum. We got alot of folks in your neck of the woods. Drop by your state's forum and post and introduction.

http://straightprep.com/forum/index.php?board=25.0

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »

Look into HF digital modes for text messaging without an Internet connection. There are several varieties of keyboard to keyboard protocols that are viable for impressive distances on surprisingly low power. Aside from the required license, digimode requires a computer on each end connected to a SW transceiver (HAM radio) and a software application running on the PC to format the incoming and outgoing messages. The system can be powered by external battery and will facilitate inter- or intra-state comms, even international. The downside is that becoming licensed and setting up a digital station isn't exactly a low tech endeavor and the antenna setup can be rather involved for the newly initiated.

Outside of HF, I think VHF simplex (point to point) will be your best bet. I imagine the 2 meter simplex airwaves will be much less congested than the channels on 11m and transmission/reception range is greatly superior on VHF. Although, without a sophisticated setup on both ends, I don't know about Pensacola to Gainesville to Tampa voice traffic on simplex. You're definitely going to need shortwave HAM radio for that, forget citizens band.

I'm in the process of building a SW station for e-comms that can be setup on a temporary basis to fill the same need that you have. About 50% there.

OOOOOHHHHH SHIT!  MOGA IS HERE!   haha.  Ya'll give my boy, Moga a warm and hearty welcome.  I'm really glad to see you joined and you're posting up good material.

We need a lot more knowledge and good material on this forum in the prepper related category.  I'm really glad you decided to join up and can't wait to see what good knowledge you bring to the forum.  Moga is the real deal on the prepping.   [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Welcome, bro!

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
Dude, seriously, this tells you all you need to know about Comms.  The truth is that you can keep in touch with everyone, no matter what, even with no infrastructure, internet, phone lines, whatever, but its going to cost you a good bit, and you're going to have to create a lot of your own electricity if you don't have it running from the tap like we do now.  You're also probably going to have to look into certain times and days that you communicate before hand.

Seriously, just go read this entire article on the Lizard Farmer blog spot about WROL or SHTF communication.

Rural Defense Comms: The Hardware

We?re going to take a little break from terrain and touch on another topic ? Communications or Comms.  I?ll say it right up front ? I know I?m going to catch a ton of shit over this little gem.  Comms is about as hot a topic as different shades of Multicam and there?s as many arguments over the merits of what is and isn?t best in comms gear.  But remember what the focus of this blog is:  Rural Defense when SHTF.  That SHTF could be in any number of forms ? economic collapse, widespread civil unrest, Insurrection, a Zombie Apocalypse (I got an email asking why I don?t use that scenario since it?s such a ?great catch-all surrogate? ? Are you happy now?).  This article isn?t geared for the Militia Unit in a tactical environment ? there are better options for those folks.  If you?ve read The Farmer at War you?ll remember the mention of their radio system: The Agric-Alert Radio system.  This system allowed farms and ranches not only to alert security forces of attacks, but also to call for assistance from their neighbors.  And just like those Marxist thugs that attacked those farmers you can bet that if you?re going to get hit the threat is going to take your phone and power out if it?s still on (those little green telecom boxes up and down the roadside don?t hold up to being run over ? and please don?t ask me how I know this).   In this entry we?ll look at some examples of comms solutions.

Read much more here:  http://thelizardfarmer.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/rural-defense-comms-the-hardware/

Then, when you're done with that, just go read the entire blog here:  http://thelizardfarmer.wordpress.com/

I mean literally, have you seen the B.A.N.A.N.A.S shit that is coming off of his blog, not to mention the few latest pieces?

I'll be honest, its been freaking hard to catch up with all the new reading, bro, but I can't stop reading it.  The stuff is just too good! 

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.co