Author Topic: Covert vhf/uhf and scanner options  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Romeo Foxtrot

• Prepper Apprentice
Covert vhf/uhf and scanner options
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
One of the issues facing folks who live in non permissive environments, is getting various antennas up, like vhf/uhf and scanner, not to mention hf.

this post will cover my solution to vhf/uhf and scanner antennas in such a setting.

My commo toc is basically my office, with my kenwood tm-v71 dual bander under desk, alinco rig on desk, and uniden home patrol ii on top of that.

My comms plan is local, local, local, then regional for hf and various sw/lw/mw and scanner options to listen.

i'm a big proponent in RX being 2x more important than TX....

Living in a non permissive setting has require my being creative to accomplish said goals.

to that end, enter a front porch flag pole mounting kit, 4' 1" wooden dowels, and an arrow antenna j-pole for vhf/uhf for 2 way comms and radio shack wide band discone antenna for receiving traffic via uniden or sdr sharp...

my home is a ranch with a high peak roof, attic access in office via pull down stairs.

I simply connected j pole and discone to wooden dowels, one for each antenna, and raised to the point where it was the highest in attic, marked that on rater and screwed in the mounting bracket.

attached feedline, snaked into closet desk area, connected to radios/scanner and viola, covert comms.

so, i don't have to worry about weather issues and and am totally covert.

i can and do, listen in to all manner of traffic, all from the comfort of my office chair whilst enjoying a wee dram of my favorite Scotch, Jura 10yr old Single Malt.

73's...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Covert vhf/uhf and scanner options
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:50:57 PM »
Great suggestions based on practical experience.  :cheers:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
...my favorite Scotch, Jura 10yr old Single Malt.

:cheers:

Don't want to derail the antenna talk, but couldn't help myself when you said "Jura".

I remember when Jura made a 16 year that cost ~$45 for 750ml.  The last time I saw it years ago, it had increased to $70.  Now they no longer produce it...and the prices on their other Scotch significantly increased.  I have limited experience on mid/top shelf Scotch...but to date, it is the best I've ever had.  The taste was primarily leathery, followed by buttery, then ended with a hint of citrus (maybe bergamot?)...with no burn or soapiness... it was quite unique.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:59:56 PM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Romeo Foxtrot

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »
^^^yup.....the best scotch in scotland according to a bar keep in glasgow, when i asked the question....so good my wife likes it....

ps...Royal Mile Whiskies ships.... https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/scotch/whiskies/single-malt/10/

jus sayin...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:46:28 PM by Romeo Foxtrot »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 12:09:14 AM »
I have not tried many, but do have a taste for Glenlivet.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline zeerf

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
Awesome setup Romeo Foxtrot!

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »
I would like to put a few antennas in my attic for various reasons but I have a metal roof. I live in the woods and can string wire antennas in trees and have a 72 foot tower so stealth is not an issue. surrounded by woods and cant see my neighbors.
for stealth antennas there is also a wolf river coils antenna someone can stick in their backyard that would not be seen from the road. As well as the vent pipe antenna from company http://www.ventenna.com that looks promising for hoa stuck people. Also the flagpole antenna with radials seems popular for those as well.
mid Georgia area here

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »
Covert antennas are a two edged sword. They are usually needed in locations where there are covenants restricting you. If you live where there are covenants, I'm sorry, but you're an idiot for buying in a restricted location. Now, as to the two edged sword. On one hand, covert antennas will not signal others that you have a radio system. On the other hand, obvious radio towers and antennas will make it obvious to others that you can call for help and they may bypass you in favor of weaker prey. I personally have a tower and lots of antennas and don't give a crap.

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »
tower with wire antennas here as well and would never live in a coveted neighborhood or restrictions.
I live in the center of my property on 37 acres of woods so you can see my house from the road and cant see my next door neighbors house from mine either.  Cant spot my tower from the road so im good. 72 foot tilt over.
mid Georgia area here