Communications > Comm Discussion

Communication with board members in WROL

(1/12) > >>

EJR914:
A few of us were talking one night and we all agreed it would be nice to try and keep in touch with members here in WROL, and I guess we mean not by mail or rider.  Something like that may be impossible, but I'm willing to get that answer as well. 

Is there any really long distance way to keep in touch, say, CB radio, or Short-wave radio, long distance, so we could check up on each other, if only once a week, month, or year?  I'm also fully aware that that might just as well be impossible as well, and I know that people are going to have so many crazy things going on in WROL that they might not make a meeting to get on the radio or whatever the reason, you don't link up, but I"m just talking about the rare chance of maybe being able to link up somehow.

I know some of us are planning to have some electricity through batteries, solar panels, or maybe even other ways, maybe generators.  I know we won't have a lot or endless amounts of electricity by any means.

Do any of ya'll have a lot of experience with commo, maybe military or civilian?

If we wanted to try and keep in touch during WROL, what would we need?  How would we do it?

Any experience or ideas on this?  Any suggestion is welcome.

I also know some of you will say you won't have time, or why would you want to do that, but its really just an exercise in long-range commo.  Never mind if we would actually do it.

Now if something like this is literally impossible, as in there is actually no way to do it, even in a perfect WROL scenario, with certain good things going for us, then that is fine too.  Let me know that is well.

Is something like long-distance vocal commo even possible in WROL?

Thank you for your replies and suggestions ahead of time.  They are much appreciated.

WhiskeyJack:
The old ham radio systems were used to communicat around the world long before the internet. I havnt looked into it yet but it would be a viable source of comms. Perhaps someone is still producing newer models of this classic radio.
And if ur really desperate you can bounce a morse code signal of the atmosphere with nothing but a 9volt battery. lol
But i sure as hell dont know how to do it, nor do i know morse code.
We could potentially try a community project to get a preppers radio network put together. This would be a good chance to try our hands at some real logistical cooperation. This system could also be used in conjunction with CB systems. The first weather services in america used ham radio to track and report weather systems. this system would provide hours if not a day of more of early warrning about bad weather. Just my .02 cents

EJR914:

--- Quote from: WhiskeyJack on September 09, 2011, 10:58:27 AM ---The old ham radio systems were used to communicat around the world long before the internet. I havnt looked into it yet but it would be a viable source of comms. Perhaps someone is still producing newer models of this classic radio.
And if ur really desperate you can bounce a morse code signal of the atmosphere with nothing but a 9volt battery. lol
But i sure as hell dont know how to do it, nor do i know morse code.
We could potentially try a community project to get a preppers radio network put together. This would be a good chance to try our hands at some real logistical cooperation. This system could also be used in conjunction with CB systems. The first weather services in america used ham radio to track and report weather systems. this system would provide hours if not a day of more of early warrning about bad weather. Just my .02 cents

--- End quote ---

Awesome man!  Thanks so much for the information.  Also, I remember hearing about bouncing signals off the atmosphere with a 9V battery, pretty cool man.   [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

STRAITJACKET:
 Sounds like a great idea too me , a network of sorts, just being able to make contact with others would be a huge moral boost. Not to mention you would be able to get the low down of whats happening in other parts of the country. One might be able to avoid hot spots/danger areas if they were going to try to move out or had to travel for any reason.

WhiskeyJack:
I would like to say to anyone who is thinking of any kind of traveling radio system. A TM on feild expediant antennas is a must. I cant stress this enough. They are actually simple systems that can add a rediculous amount of range to a decent radio system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version