Author Topic: Communication with board members in WROL  (Read 7941 times)

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
Re: Communication with board members in WROL
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
G'day, @ Special-K, would this work for those models in Australia or am I looking at having to research further into this myself? My intent is not only being able to communicate within Australia but also with you guys in the states and anyone else around the world. My last question, have you considered doing instructional videos on youtube with the advice on setting up this type of gear?
You will not be able to achieve reliable or predictable communication with the U.S. from Australia on the 11 meter band.  For more predictable and reliable world wide communication you will need to use a much lower frequency.  FYI, lower frequency = higher meter band, it's an inverse relationship.  The lower the frequency the longer the distance from wave peak to wave peak.  Get it?  I have no knowledge of government frequency allocation in Australia or whether or not any "free band(s)" are available down there.  You will need to consult the web and/or an amateur (HAM) operator down there.  I'm pretty sure these lower (worldwide) frequencies will require a license but you still may find a free band to communicate with the locals. 

As for instructional videos on YT, to make a long story short, my Sony Handicam is not compatible with my Mac.  There is a program to make the two work together, but it cost money, and since I spent my time learning about radios instead of computers, I'm not sure exactly how to obtain said program, for free, without getting caught or catching a virus or mal-ware.  So, I do have a YT channel, but with no uploads of my own. 
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline disposable

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »
G'day, @ Special-K, would this work for those models in Australia or am I looking at having to research further into this myself? My intent is not only being able to communicate within Australia but also with you guys in the states and anyone else around the world. My last question, have you considered doing instructional videos on youtube with the advice on setting up this type of gear?
You will not be able to achieve reliable or predictable communication with the U.S. from Australia on the 11 meter band.  For more predictable and reliable world wide communication you will need to use a much lower frequency.  FYI, lower frequency = higher meter band, it's an inverse relationship.  The lower the frequency the longer the distance from wave peak to wave peak.  Get it?  I have no knowledge of government frequency allocation in Australia or whether or not any "free band(s)" are available down there.  You will need to consult the web and/or an amateur (HAM) operator down there.  I'm pretty sure these lower (worldwide) frequencies will require a license but you still may find a free band to communicate with the locals. 

As for instructional videos on YT, to make a long story short, my Sony Handicam is not compatible with my Mac.  There is a program to make the two work together, but it cost money, and since I spent my time learning about radios instead of computers, I'm not sure exactly how to obtain said program, for free, without getting caught or catching a virus or mal-ware.  So, I do have a YT channel, but with no uploads of my own.

What program is it? i can probably find it for you for free, no virus or anything. if you have a dropbox account i can get it to you that way or we can set something else up. pm me or post here and let me know.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
What program is it? i can probably find it for you for free, no virus or anything. if you have a dropbox account i can get it to you that way or we can set something else up. pm me or post here and let me know.

It's Apple's "MPEG-2 Playback component."
I got my info from this page:
http://markpknowles.com/connecting-a-sony-handycam-to-a-mac-computer/

"Dropbox account?"  I don't know what that is.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline disposable

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »

It's Apple's "MPEG-2 Playback component."
I got my info from this page:
http://markpknowles.com/connecting-a-sony-handycam-to-a-mac-computer/

"Dropbox account?"  I don't know what that is.

pm sent, dont want to get off topic :)

Offline Skippy00004

• Committed prepper
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »
I would like to bump the shit out of this topic.  I think it'll be really beneficial and it is definitely doable.

So let's keep this ball rolling.
Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain...

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence." --Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Rebelac7

• Prepper Apprentice
  • ZOMBIE SLAYER
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »
Here is NE GA there are several of us preppers in my city that use channel 16 on our cbs.
2 COINS. TOGETHER EQUAL 35 CENTS. ONE OF THEM IS    NOT     A QUARTER. WHAT ARE THE 2 COINS?

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »
Some really good info presented in this thread. At the very least a good all-band shortwave receiver and antenna system should be part of everyone's prep.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »

Here's a general chart of radio frequencies. AM radio would be in the Medium Frequency. Shortwave in the HF band, and FM radio in the VHF band. Ideally, you want to get a radio that has as few gaps as possible from band to band and within each band.

Here's some decently good explanations of each of the more practical used radio bands from Wikipedia....

Longwave
Medium wave
Shortwave
VHF
UHF

In my eyes, it would be most practical to get a radio receiver that has continuous coverage from longwave through shortwave. I have very little experience (other than listening to FM radio stations) with VHF as a usable and practical band as far as buying and using receivers and transmitters. Certain segments of the band are restricted to certain uses, and radios that offer continuous coverage in that band are quite pricey.

Hope some of this helps folks.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
you guys just tell me what to buy and how to use it and im in.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline tominphx

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »
Like this.
Cletus The Slack-Jawed Yokel

I would be down for ham radio radio though, I have no experience for it, but I know lots of people who do. Did you guys know you can also use it to transmit data? They call it the hinternet.
It's better to have it and not need it ...

Offline Skippy00004

• Committed prepper
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
I think HAM would be the way to go.

I'm not very keen on the subject, but depending on the range of those things, we could bounce radio waves clear across the country.

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence." --Mahatma Ghandi

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
I have been trying to find an "Elmer" (Mentor to a newbee). As mentioned in an earlier post the gunsmith I use is a ham guy. He gave me three names of other hams who live in my area. I have contacted (Left messages) at the three folks homes- No responce as yet. I whined to my wife and she said, "Well John it is the holidays you know." Yeah, yeah, what ever.

There is a Ham meeting next month near me that I am going to try and attend. I am going to my favorite used book store when I get home and see what I can round up too.

Although not at the top of my "to do list" it is in the top five items though. Hopefully I will have more info for you shortly.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
I have been trying to find an "Elmer" (Mentor to a newbee). As mentioned in an earlier post the gunsmith I use is a ham guy. He gave me three names of other hams who live in my area. I have contacted (Left messages) at the three folks homes- No responce as yet. I whined to my wife and she said, "Well John it is the holidays you know." Yeah, yeah, what ever.

There is a Ham meeting next month near me that I am going to try and attend. I am going to my favorite used book store when I get home and see what I can round up too.

Although not at the top of my "to do list" it is in the top five items though. Hopefully I will have more info for you shortly.

JM, I assume you've tried the ARRL website (http://www.arrl.org/)? You can learn a hella lot with just the publications they put out and their website. Finding a Hamfest or club in your area is a good idea too, as you mentioned.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Yup, that's how I found out about the local club meeting in January.

I am sorry to admit this but...well...I want someone to hold my hand and direct me to the correct books and units.

When I was employed I use to buy what ever intrigued me and then learn about the hobby that way. You know the old way to swim by throwing the kid in the deep end of the pool. Since I am unemployed and money is tight I don't want to take that route.

Sorry to have to admit that but it is what it is.  :))
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Skippy00004

• Committed prepper
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
So what happened with this?  Follow up?  Follow Thru?   

I am interested in one of those Bao Feng thingamajigs.

Worthwhile?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
Well, the Bao Feng handheld radios will not communicate very far in the grand scheme of things. It's limited to your immediate AO, maybe your county depending on what antennae you're using. That's what I gather from reading, anyway. For higher than county level, you'd need a dedicated HAM setup. That gets expensive.

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
The 2m handhelds like the B5 will get you outside your AO if you can use repeaters which requires a HAM license and know how.

Taking my tech test for this reason now
---
"Do nothing which is of no use."  - Miyamoto Musashi
Gal 5:19-21 -God

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »
The 2m handhelds like the B5 will get you outside your AO if you can use repeaters which requires a HAM license and know how.

Taking my tech test for this reason now

The problem with repeaters is that everyone will be trying to use them or will monitor them.
And besides that they are composed of very interesting parts, like batteries, solar panels and radios.

I wouldn't count on them working for long after a real SHTF situation.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
I wonder if the old crystal radios will make a comeback?  no batteries and can be made from junk laying around.
if you use an actual crystal rather than a varactor diode, it is EMP proof.  the capacitor (condenser for the Eurocentric members) can be made with cardboard, tape and aluminum foil.  with some simple math you can tweak the frequency range and RF gain.  it has two major drawbacks, it only works with AM (amplitude modulation).  so, CB, commercial AM and several 'older' bands would work.  It can't transmit - receive only.
--
the easiest plan I know of is in the Cub Scout Bear manual - it is one of the projects.  http://bizarrelabs.com/crystal.htm - this is the one from my childhood.
here is a fun one - http://www.midnightscience.com/_pdffiles/Oatmeal%20box%20radio.pdf

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »
APX,
Could you expand on this?  I know nothing of HAM, but won't all forms of comm on the HAM bandwidth fail under the same circumstances?  I thought there were a lot of repeaters setup on solar? 

TEOTWAWKI, I can see it not working, but for up to 1year without power, would there not be a few that survive if they make it through a CME/EMP?

What's the alternative?

My personal use is to comm with my buddy that is on the other side of the hill and we have a 3 repeaters between us that will allow that if I have a HAM license to use them.  That's why we finally jumped at the chance to get the license (I found out you can use a POB instead of physical) when the local club posted a 6 week class for free last week.

One solution I've seen is to use a GMRS repeater of your own as GurrilaComm did. 
---

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
As a side note: I started a phone/text tree awhile back. There was little interest so I dropped it. It is low tech and can help out a bunch during the beginning of a threat.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
APX,
Could you expand on this?  I know nothing of HAM, but won't all forms of comm on the HAM bandwidth fail under the same circumstances?  I thought there were a lot of repeaters setup on solar? 

TEOTWAWKI, I can see it not working, but for up to 1year without power, would there not be a few that survive if they make it through a CME/EMP?

What's the alternative?

My personal use is to comm with my buddy that is on the other side of the hill and we have a 3 repeaters between us that will allow that if I have a HAM license to use them.  That's why we finally jumped at the chance to get the license (I found out you can use a POB instead of physical) when the local club posted a 6 week class for free last week.

One solution I've seen is to use a GMRS repeater of your own as GurrilaComm did.

Sorry, after re reading my comment I can see I didn't explained myself well.

Repeaters may continue working for years by themselves unless something hits them like an EMP or a tornado or whatever.
The problem I see for repeaters in a SHTF scenario is that they have a lot of interesting components like batteries, solar panels and radios and looters will raid them very soon.

The workaround is to have hidden repeaters whose location/operating frequency/access codes are not known to the public or participating in a HAM network to relay your messages.

For people interested in SHTF HAM communications I strongly suggest you to visit www.amrron.com, get their manual and participate in their network now that you can to start learning.

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
I'm heading over to read now... are there "pirate" repeaters being readied for an "event" by this group?  Is the plan to put up mobile repeaters that are not FCC approved after an event or are they working and testing an infrastructure for such now?

Wouldn't it be easier to protect the existing hardware from looters, or am I missing the point here?
---

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
I'm heading over to read now... are there "pirate" repeaters being readied for an "event" by this group?  Is the plan to put up mobile repeaters that are not FCC approved after an event or are they working and testing an infrastructure for such now?

Wouldn't it be easier to protect the existing hardware from looters, or am I missing the point here?

I cannot speak for that group, I just got their manual and seen they are doing a great work organizing a HAM network and helping newbies with easy to follow tutorials.
Probably they have a lot of ideas they can't implement/speak openly because of FCC regulations.

Don't forget repeaters usually are deployed on top of hills/mountains to use them to jump over them.
I dunno it would be easy to protect repeaters as that would require to have an armed guard deployed 24/7 on a mountain top, most of those guys probably will feel more comfortable defending their homes than a few batteries and solar panels.