Communications > Comm Discussion

Communication solutions

(1/3) > >>

Rail Driver:
So I've been thinking about this CISPA bill that is in the house right now, and it's got me wondering...

What kinds of communications solutions are there that don't rely on infrastructure or the internet? IE, SHTF coms - two-way, shortwave, etc... Something that can be bought, salvaged, or assembled from bits and pieces? I'm interested in long range and short range applications, separately, but not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Skippy00004:
https://www.torproject.org/ <-- Anonymously browse the internet

https://www.torproject.org/docs/android.html.en <-- Anonymously Browse internet on Android phones, plus anonymous messaging application.

Just some quick ideas.

APX808:
Hey Skippy, TOR works over Internet and RailDriver is looking for something independent of internet.

RailDriver, what you are looking for is called FreeNetwork, basically its a group of wireless nodes that provide free data transit, you should check http://www.freenetworks.org/ for more info.

A friend of mine runs a node of BuenosAiresLibre, that is one of those networks.
The problem is that you need many people being member of the network for it to be interesting and being able to route packages using different routes, and the people on it are total nerds.

You need to have big antennas because the frequency used in wi-fi needs line of sight and forget about all those electronics surviving an EMP.

A few years ago there was something called packet radio, that were extremely slow modems running over HAM radios, I think no one uses that anymore as it was extremely slow.

Rail Driver:
I was thinking more along the lines of shortwave radio nodes ( I know enough people that would be interested that with enough range I could cover communications from Pensacola to Gainesville, to Tampa) or relay type coms. Voice coms primarily, though some form of text messaging support would be nice.

The lower the technical skill threshold required, the better. I'm working on building a local prepping group and I'm looking for ways to maintain coms outside of telephone or internet.

CB radio is going to likely be the base of our coms network if I can find enough gear simply because it's the easiest thing I can think of, but budget is a concern. We will probably look into bartering for most of it and buying what we can't barter for.

crudos:

--- Quote from: Rail Driver on April 20, 2012, 02:44:30 PM ---So I've been thinking about this CISPA bill that is in the house right now, and it's got me wondering...

What kinds of communications solutions are there that don't rely on infrastructure or the internet? IE, SHTF coms - two-way, shortwave, etc... Something that can be bought, salvaged, or assembled from bits and pieces? I'm interested in long range and short range applications, separately, but not necessarily mutually exclusive.

--- End quote ---
For long-range and medium-range communications, a amateur shortwave set-up will work great. For short-range, CB radio or a VHF set-up would be your solution. Lots of equipment out there, some cheap, some not so cheap. Befriend a local ham guy and soak up as much information as possible. Unfortunately there is no prepper-ready-no-experience-necessary-everything-in-one-box solution. That said, there should be, don't you think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version