Author Topic: New Linux Distro: SigIntOS  (Read 15634 times)

Offline NC Scout

• Prepper Apprentice
  • In Obre Terrum Non Visi
    • American Partisan
New Linux Distro: SigIntOS
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:03:24 AM »
https://www.sigintos.com/

As the name would imply, its a linux distro primed and ready for signals collection and intelligence. I was made aware of it during class last weekend and will be getting hands on this weekend as I've got time. Lots of good tools in there to set up operations in the SigCen.
In Obre Terrum Non Visi

www.brushbeater.wordpress.com

americanpartisan.org

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
Re: New Linux Distro: SigIntOS
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
I anxiously await your opinion. I am converting my laptop to linux and was gonna roll with linuxmint as suggested this past weekend at your class but if this OS is good I may roll with that distro since my laptop is being set up fot SIGCEN usage.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
Nice distro, didn't know about it.

@patriotman, you can download the image, burn it to a pendrive and try the distro by yourself to check if you like it and how compatible it is with your hardware

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
Yeah, but I am lazy :P

I planned on doing that but I won't get to it for a few weeks so I figured I would use Scouts experience as a first look.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Offline NC Scout

• Prepper Apprentice
  • In Obre Terrum Non Visi
    • American Partisan
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 01:42:23 PM »
I anxiously await your opinion. I am converting my laptop to linux and was gonna roll with linuxmint as suggested this past weekend at your class but if this OS is good I may roll with that distro since my laptop is being set up fot SIGCEN usage.

Mint is more of a general purpose-type deal. An alternative to Windows or Mac OS. SigInt looks pretty barebones as far as a general purpose machine goes, but I do plan on getting a pawn shop special or two to test it on.
In Obre Terrum Non Visi

www.brushbeater.wordpress.com

americanpartisan.org

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 02:51:57 PM »
There is a guy who always has a booth at ham fests. He sells reconditioned laptops and desk tops for cheap. Under $100-.

I want to buy one of his laptops and set it up for Linux. That laptop will be dedicated for ham radio functions, e.g. FLdigi.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 04:59:52 PM »
for those interested, SigintOS runs an Ubuntu backbone and kernel.

gadget99

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:16:17 AM »
Great stuff.....

I look forward to the review.

Might pull one of the toughbooks out of the Faraday storage and give it a run myself.

Need to refresh the stored computers soon anyway.

Cheers

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 05:45:07 AM »

Mint is more of a general purpose-type deal. An alternative to Windows or Mac OS. SigInt looks pretty barebones as far as a general purpose machine goes, but I do plan on getting a pawn shop special or two to test it on.

I figured as much. I could always roll with linuxmint and just run sigint in a VM...

gadget99

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »

I figured as much. I could always roll with linuxmint and just run sigint in a VM...

I have mint on a few in storage. A good solid distro.

I am looking to get another server to add to the cage for larger prep needs. Will probably have it to run multiple VM's so I can fulfil the majority of my wider plans. I have 20 WYSE terminals to set up for different requirements.

Here is a taste of what the end setup will be for.

1. A hospital record system.
2. A disaster management system (Sahana Eden)
3. A biometric registration system.

For the Biometric thing I have acquired a bunch of PIER 2.4 mobile Iris scanners. The PIER's have the capacity to hold the Iris identities of the whole population of the Island.

Cheers

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 01:22:23 PM »

I am looking to get another server to add to the cage for larger prep needs. Will probably have it to run multiple VM's so I can fulfil the majority of my wider plans. I have 20 WYSE terminals to set up for different requirements.

For the Biometric thing I have acquired a bunch of PIER 2.4 mobile Iris scanners. The PIER's have the capacity to hold the Iris identities of the whole population of the Island.

Cheers

:faint:

Damn you are setting up to be a command and control spot.

gadget99

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »

Cheers

:faint:

Damn you are setting up to be a command and control spot.

Yep working on it a bit.......

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »

Maybe that won't work because the SDR software will need to talk with the hardware directly and the VM is going to be in the middle, you'll need to test that approach.
Booting from a USB stick probably is a better option, although you can't modify the installation.

On a different note, I'm seeing some of you guys have been thinking about good software to keep at hand.
Another good option is to have a wiki software that helps you to keep track of different kind of info about your OA.

Some years ago I had created the INTDB portable wiki that you can run out of a USB stick or detachable drive, probably is really outdated but you can take a look at it and maybe get an idea or two, here is the link: http://apx808.blogspot.com/p/intdb-intelligence-database.html

Apostle

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »
Tip for the group. Don't try Linux on Dell laptops with Broadcom Wifi! I tried Skywave Linux (ham radio build). Worked great except I could never get wifi to work!

gadget99

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 03:51:04 AM »
Good discussion this one.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »
Tip for the group. Don't try Linux on Dell laptops with Broadcom Wifi! I tried Skywave Linux (ham radio build). Worked great except I could never get wifi to work!

i don't know what your wifi specs are but look for a tar in ubuntu - 16.04 works with most dells.  There is also a kernel update for that - it fixes a bridge problem.

gadget99

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 08:03:25 AM »
Sounds like the nightmare of getting the 3g and GPS card working in some Toughbooks in Linux

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
This is such a good discussion that I am going to "sticky" it.  :bravo:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »

Maybe that won't work because the SDR software will need to talk with the hardware directly and the VM is going to be in the middle, you'll need to test that approach.
Booting from a USB stick probably is a better option, although you can't modify the installation.

On a different note, I'm seeing some of you guys have been thinking about good software to keep at hand.
Another good option is to have a wiki software that helps you to keep track of different kind of info about your OA.

Some years ago I had created the INTDB portable wiki that you can run out of a USB stick or detachable drive, probably is really outdated but you can take a look at it and maybe get an idea or two, here is the link: http://apx808.blogspot.com/p/intdb-intelligence-database.html

Never thought of that. I will definitely test it out. Thanks :cheers:

More fun things to play with on a Friday night :)