Author Topic: Can someone school me on commercially available encrypted radio sets?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Thanks!
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
   What would you like to know?  Harris makes a decent portable radio with encryption capabilities, and Motorola has their APX line, with encryption available as an add-on.  What frequencies were you planning on using the radios?  Some encryption is better than others.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Here is something to read about this subject to educate the group before we get started on this subject. http://www.tacticalrepeater.com/radio-encryption/

The best encryption when TXing on a radio is using a Brevity Code.

NC Scout facilitates a great class on this subject called RTO. Patriotman and many others here at UP, have taken this class along with the Adv. RTO class.

A agreed upon code words and phrases are developed before each mission. Each mission has different code words and phrases.

Here is an example of a SALUTE report/exchange with a TOC (Size, Activity, Location, Uniform, Time, Equipment)

"Tango Tango.. Bingo Bingo"

"This is Tango... go ahead Bingo"

"Line one"..."Hog, Eagle -Break"                              (2, enemy)
"Line two"..."Dancing with wolves - Break"               (Enemy patrol)
"Line three..."GD/BD - Break"                                 (Grid BB/30)
"Line four...Chair, table - Break"                              (Russian Camo)
"Line five...TG/XX - Break"                                      (1200 hrs)
"Line Six...Cake, spoon, cup - Break"                       (AK, RPG, Night vision)

"How copy Tango?"

"Good. Tango clear"

That is a 30-second burst of information from the patrol to the TOC. Some times the TOC will say, "repeat line X." as the transmission was garbled. The patrol would reread that line and say again, "how copy?"

Typically a directional UHF or VHF antenna would be used which was aimed towards the TOC. Once the transmission was done, the patrol would move at least one kilometer away from the TXing location.

This description is simplistic and to really get the drift you need to go to NC Scouts class to learn it. Then practice, practice, practice. 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Hytera or kenwood with DES.

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
   What would you like to know?  Harris makes a decent portable radio with encryption capabilities, and Motorola has their APX line, with encryption available as an add-on.  What frequencies were you planning on using the radios?  Some encryption is better than others.

Something thats affordable enough to buy 3,4 or even 5 for the group.
That encryptis from each unit.
Easy to use.

Encryption does not need to be extremely high end.. if its gets broken by OPFOR eventually I dont care I just want to deny real time intel to any hypothetical enemy

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
I second the BREVMAT. Also, commo windows.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Loved the BREVMAT idea, here is a nice article about it http://quietsurvivalist.com/the-brevity-matrix/

Also I wouldn't trust on commercial encryption hardware, specially if you plan on hiding from gov, and for encryption to work you need to talk with other devices that are compatible with the encryption.

A key factor in comm security is that they don't know you're there, long comms can be triangulated and your presence in the area revealed, if the OPFOR catches you they will be able to know you're the one who were transmitting in code.

My suggestion would be, regular radios using short comms, for instance with BREVMAT and using directional antennas with the minimal required transmission power.

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
Re: Can someone school me on commercially available encrypted radio sets?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »
Something thats affordable enough to buy 3,4 or even 5 for the group.
That encryptis from each unit.
Easy to use.

Encryption does not need to be extremely high end.. if its gets broken by OPFOR eventually I dont care I just want to deny real time intel to any hypothetical enemy

Most radios that do encryption well are not affordable. Think 1,000 dollars or more. This is average. Yes you can buy cheaper radios or used radios cheaper.
Easy to use is relative. law enforcement and some military guys still forget to use encryption when need be.
Yep brevity matrix as others have stated is best as no one will no the codes except for your people. be sure to rotate the codes occasionally as well so it would be more confusing for those listening to figure out.   One time pads is another good option.
mid Georgia area here

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 03:36:02 PM »
CHEAP and encrypted don't go well together. Just find some Handi-talkies that have a SCRAMBLER function on them. The opposing side most likely won't have radios with reverse scramble audio features and then all will be right with the world.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 08:10:45 PM »
    Or just purchase any one of the amateur VHF/UHF radios with digital modes, i.e., DMR, DSTAR, or Yaesu Fusion.  The typical scanner listener isn't going to be able to realize what's being transmitted in digital mode, unless they have a similar radio.  Sometimes there's something good when there's no set standard.

Offline Romeo Foxtrot

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 08:19:18 AM »
As several have said, brevity codes, tight and varying comms windows, directional antennas are key..

I'd also consider using fldigi with yagis and such.

you can also obtain a crypto set or go old school and use a book cipher, dictionaries make good ones..

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. yes at 1000 a pop is beyond what I would want to pay to equip a group

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
CHEAP and encrypted don't go well together. Just find some Handi-talkies that have a SCRAMBLER function on them. The opposing side most likely won't have radios with reverse scramble audio features and then all will be right with the world.

Can you link me with some good examples commercially available?

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
I will be doing some attention paying to that info also.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 06:24:25 PM »

Can you link me with some good examples commercially available?

I suggest you go to AMAZON and look at all the Chinese stuff they offer. Some of them will have Scramble functions. I see it in the menus of most of the Chinese mobile rigs and those are pretty cheap.

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
mid Georgia area here

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5N1S14/?coliid=I3MIT07PHHPUUC&colid=20EMGRGZQNX99&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

75 dollars gets you cheap encryption

Any chance this radio is FCC approved?

I searched the FCC database, and it doesn't appear to be compliant.  I also checked in the Retivis' RT87 manual, and it's not noted there either.  Scrambling/encryption isn't permitted on amateur frequencies, so it wouldn't be legally permitted on the ham bands.  It looks like an interesting radio, though users note that the manual sucks.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 11:01:31 PM »
Hmmmmmm……. I looked at that radio by way of the link and it appears to be about as good as it gets as far as price and encryption. To stay legal, I'd not use the encryption unless you were in a World Without Rule Of Law situation (ie. SHTF). Don't let the words, "Type Accepted" concern you. Type Accepted is the FCC's control over SALES of radios, not USE of radios. The Rules control the use. A Ham can build a radio from scratch and it will not be a Type Accepted radio and they can use it as long as it meets the operating rules requirements.

Now, for some advice: Using Encryption will mask the message but it won't mask direction finders. As soon as the carrier comes up, BAM!!! The direction finder computer can pinpoint the source in less than one second. I wouldn't bother with encryption.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »
to add to what Pkveazey said - the encryption looks like voice inversion.
it will discourage casual eaves dropping.  a typical ham could fix that in a flash with a typical base station.
encryption needs $ in today's market - the more bits the better. :) just like a wireless router.
if you are looking for an out of the box solution it would work in a chaotic environment - too many signals flying too fast for easy parsing.
as discussed below - low power and OTP - might work for you.

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 01:41:13 PM »
I highly doubt its FCC compliant. Its a cheap Chinese radio and most aren't. The ability to do "encryption" on ham bands would disqualify it from being FCC compliant right there.
If you want legal encryption buy a Motorola and an encryption license and use it on business frequencies. so a thousand dollar radio with 400-800 dollars for the encryption board and programming.  and the 1,000 dollars for a business license frequency.
mid Georgia area here

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2020, 01:58:56 PM »
Recon and Kbop are right on the money. If you are determined to go encrypted, spend the big bucks and license it. If you don't want the world listening in or direction finders to pinpoint you, then run as low power as possible and still be able to communicate. You may want to consider running on the 440 Mhz band because 440 Mhz sucks when it comes to distance. Start off running on 1 watt and if that's not enough then go to 3 watts. If that's not enough to get to the other party then try 1 watt on 2 meters. If that doesn't do it, then go to 5 watts on two meters. If you fire up 65 watts on a base station antenna on two meters, you better be prepared for someone 20 miles out to pick up the signal.

I suggest that you operate in the clear and use confusing messages. My method is reverse meanings. If I tell you to meet me at the South end of Jones' Bridge at 9AM. It would mean to meet me at the North end of Jones' bridge at 9PM. Anyone who thinks they are going to be waiting for you are going to be at the wrong end at the wrong time.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 02:10:57 PM »
Sending any encrypted comms is against FCC rules. That includes using a brevity type coding via voice, digital or CW. With that written, if the SHTF I wouldn't worry about the FCC trying RDF you. \"/

On the other hand, if you were to send digital brevity messages using lets say Fldigi, using a yagi antenna and the lowest power setting to get out there; although illegal, nobody would catch ya'. If you did this, I would also use a pirated out of the USofA call sign like one from Cuba, Mexico, Canada to name a few.  ;)

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 03:45:56 PM »
FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum).  Look into it as an alternative to encryption and/or scrambling. Obviously not legal on ham bands.

P.S.  Don't waste money on the affordable, but undependable "TriSquare" brand hand helds.  They're notorious for loosing sync.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »
Sending any encrypted comms is against FCC rules ON HAM BANDS Perfectly legal on business bands I worked for Motorola for many years and we would sell businesses encrypted radios all the time.

That includes using a brevity type coding via voice, digital or CWBrevity codes are completely legal as long as they are publicly posted ARES as well as many clubs use brevity codes to save time on the repeater so we can transfer information faster. ARES uses it for hospital nets, and local weather spotter emergencies our local brevity codes are on our websites as well as printed and handed out at club meetings.. With that written, if the SHTF I wouldn't worry about the FCC trying RDF you. \"/

On the other hand, if you were to send digital brevity messages using lets say Fldigi, using a yagi antenna and the lowest power setting to get out there; although illegal, nobody would catch ya'. If you did this, I would also use a pirated out of the USofA call sign like one from Cuba, Mexico, Canada to name a few.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:51:01 PM by reconprepper »
mid Georgia area here