Author Topic: Hmmmmm....... Something sneaky is happening.  (Read 1534 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Hmmmmm....... Something sneaky is happening.
« on: December 07, 2019, 07:19:27 PM »
Do I trust the Government. Well, yes, I did when I was a kid. Now, not so much. I have a computer hot spot and it shows me how much data I've used up. For some reason, if I leave it turned on, my data level changes even when I'm not using the internet. Gee.... I wonder if big brother is down loading what's on my hard drive? I don't give a rat if they look because I don't put things on my computer that I don't want others to see. The problem is that somebody is using up my data and when it gets up to 15 gigs, my unlimited plan slows down to a crawl. If Big Brother is looking at my data, I wish they would hurry up and finish because its really pissing me off to have my computer reach its high speed limit and then slow down to a snail's pace. I'm not sure how many people actually are aware that every keystroke made while using the internet is saved somewhere out there in the ether and its not saved on your computer unless you tell it to. Even when you type something and then delete it and retype something else as a correction or afterthought, it all gets saved. Years ago there was a word for a keystroke. It was called an INKEY STRING. The obvious reason was that it was an INput KEYstroke STRING of characters. Damn!!! I probably be dead and gone before Big Brother finishes downloading all my crap. There must be 200 Gigs of stuff on my hard drive. Since I'm a musician, I've got all the songs that I've written and recorded on there and each one of those muti-track recordings is about 36 gigs each. Anybody else happen to notice data usage that they can't account for?

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Hmmmmm....... Something sneaky is happening.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:18:53 PM »
Our interwebs does strange things too.  :hiding:
I use wireshark to monitor  my own home network data flow.
i was impressed at how much data my echo was sent - so much it now sits in my work shop and i only turn it on when actually needed. 
https://www.wireshark.org/

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
The issue is PK, there are programs you have on purpose or not given permission to look at your computer when it is idle. Windows is notorious for doing this. It is programmed into Win 10 or maybe even earlier versions. I am sue Google does it too but do not know for sure.

The only way to stop it is to turn off your computer like Kbop mentioned.

I have heard you can do other things like splitting your computer ala, Microsoft is on half of your computer and Linux is on the other half. You can turn off or on which ever side you are using.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Americana

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
I am running Windows xp, Windows 10, and linux Lubuntu on my laptop.  This is called Dual Booting.

You install a Grub menu that boots up after bios but before the operating system.  The hard drive is partitioned and generally the Linux os can see into the windows side, but not the other way.   This means while in linux you have access to all your files and you will have more control over whats being sent/received.  Software is free, just have to download and put onto thumb drive or burn on a dvd as an iso.  This entire operating system can run off a thumb drive.   Some of the minimalist linux versions can be installed on very old computers because its not a Ram hog like windows.

I have been using Ubuntu for many years.  The install disk even has a disk partitioning tool in it. 

Also the cf30 toughbook, which is very inexpensive on ebay, has a physical switch to control the wifi.   My win Xp has never seen the internet, and Win 10 is tightly controlled.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
Americana,
thank you! If you were standing here, I would kiss ya' squarely on the lips!  :dance:

Exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a try on my old Toughbooks CH-19.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
Americana, could you translate that to basic conversational english?  Not 2001 Space Odyssey HAL 9000 computer talk?

I am completely computer illiterate and have absolutely no idea what you said.  Remember me if the world goes completely digital.

Nemo   :faint:
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
Americana - please let me know if i get anything wrong below.

@Nemo, some definitions:
you can load a computer with more than one type of operating system (OS) at a time.  in general it can only run one at a time. So, for instance, your laptop will always boot up into WIN 10.

Grub - is a program that lets you decide which OS to load when you boot up.

BIOS - basic input output system - is a short and simple set of instructions onboard the CPU that gets the boot up started when you turn the computer on.  You will need to update this.

Ubuntu is a Linux OS like windows but not from a huge company like MicroSoft.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu

a solution that could work for you is a minor edit to the BIOS and use a thumb drive in your laptop when you want to boot into a different OS - pretty fool proof and IMHO a bit easier to load from the start.

if privacy is a concern, try TaiLs linux.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system)

if ease of use is a concern, try Ubuntu.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »
Remember that flu shot?  Or blood work draw your doc set up?

The chip is in you now.  It also reads keystrokes.  Software onboard your computer is outdated. 

Nemo

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Americana

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
JM Old toughbooks and linux are perfect.   Look at Lubuntu instead of Ubuntu, its lighter version.

Nemo If your nerd skills are lacking, find a tame nerd and have them put linux on a thumbdrive and set it up to boot.  Partitioning drives, burning iso, grub menus can get out of hand and wipe your hard drive.

Kbop Right on👍

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »
JM Old toughbooks and linux are perfect.   Look at Lubuntu instead of Ubuntu, its lighter version.

Nemo If your nerd skills are lacking, find a tame nerd and have them put linux on a thumbdrive and set it up to boot.  Partitioning drives, burning iso, grub menus can get out of hand and wipe your hard drive.

Kbop Right on👍

I need to do this also.. WIll start with a new computer that way
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
Ubuntu on a thumb drive is available on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ubuntu-USB-Bootable-Latest-Desktop-Version-18-04-2-LTS-for-Install-or-Live-Use/133241025506   Price is $11.90, and there may be even cheaper ones available.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Remember that flu shot?  Or blood work draw your doc set up?

The chip is in you now.  It also reads keystrokes.  Software onboard your computer is outdated. 

Nemo

I don't get flu shots, which are intramuscular, and they can't install the chip in a vein because it would cause a blockage and or a blood clot. My Doctor is a family friend and a Semi-Prepper and would never install that crap in me because he knows that I know how to find it if he did. All it takes to find a chip is a metal detector and I have one. Chips are inserted just below the skin and you can feel them. I can feel the one in my dog's neck. If I had a chip installed in me and I knew it or found it, I don't think I would have any trouble cutting the skin and removing it. If you suspect that you have a chip and you know its in your arm, just wrap a 6" wide band of aluminum foil around your arm.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »
Those are the ones you know about.  What about the ones you don't know the govt has developed.  The ones so small they will go lodge in a lung so when they want it to happen you will drown from an internal explosion.

The govt does not always tell everyone about everything.

Remember the X-ray machines that would do a full body view when you walked down the sidewalk and the truck drove down the street.  They got you and the whole crowd.

The truth is out there.  And the govt ain't tell you all of it.

Nemo

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
Those are the ones you know about.  What about the ones you don't know the govt has developed.  The ones so small they will go lodge in a lung so when they want it to happen you will drown from an internal explosion.

The govt does not always tell everyone about everything.

Remember the X-ray machines that would do a full body view when you walked down the sidewalk and the truck drove down the street.  They got you and the whole crowd.

The truth is out there.  And the govt ain't tell you all of it.

Nemo

I'm not big on conspiracy theories but I'm pretty sure the government never tells the public the truth or all the facts on any matter. Trusting the government is like trusting your pet Cobra.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
Is this what I am looking for? I will load it onto my Toughbooks Ch-19. If not other suggestions?

Win 7.0 is what is on it right now.

Thanks

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
I'd be careful with that one Johny, due to all the one star reviews.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
Yes, I agree. Suggestions from Amazon? The Ebay one you posted I got a error 404 page.

Thanks ;D

Offline Americana

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
Make sure your toughbook is 64 bit.

Make sure that in Bios you can set it to boot from Usb.  Some older Tb’s didnt have this option.

Doing it this way will not make any changes to your hard drive,the entire OS is on the usb drive.  You can also use this usb linux tool in almost any computer you have access to.

You can also download the Lubuntu/ubuntu for free and then burn it as an iso to a dvd. 

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
Thank you Americana and Jackalope.  ;D