Author Topic: Zello Instructions  (Read 1295 times)

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
Zello Instructions
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
To be clear, the Zello channel should NOT be considered secure comms. Rather, it can be used for both voice nets and also during HF nets to see if others are reading your signal in real time.

You will need a password to join the channel. Once you create your account, send me a pm and tell me your username and I will give the channel password.

Desktop

https://zello.com/personal/download/

Click on Zello for PC. Save the file (ZelloSetup.exe). Navigate to the file and double click it. Proceed with installation.

If you do not have a Zello Account, click "Create new Zello Account". Choose Username, Password, and Enter Email. Then, use that information to log-in.

When you log in, go to Tools on the top. Find "Add Channel". Search for "ERIN/UnchainedPreppers". Select it and click Next. Then, click Next Again. It should be added to your contacts.

To transmit on the channel, click once on the channel to select it. then, Click and  Hold the mic symbol at the bottom of the screen. Talk into your microphone and when you are done, unclick the mouse.

To see the messages being transmitted and to play them, either double click the channel or click the channel once and then click the ">" you see on the right hand side.

Phone App

Search for Zello in your app store and install in. Sign up just as in the desktop instructions. The search feature is the blue circle with the outline of three people in the lower righthand part of your screen. Click on that and click "find a channel". Search just like in the desktop instructions.

Once you add the channel, you can select it and enter the channel. To transmit, press and hold the big circle with the microphone in it. When you are done, release it. In the upper right, the microphone symbol is your transmit page, the two people are your group members, and the "talk box" symbol is where both text and audio messages will appear.

Notes

I highly recommend you go into options (the three vertical dots in the far upper right hand corner) and set your notification preferences.

It is also important to be aware of your status (also found under those three vertical dots). If you are set to available, the messages sent to the channel will play in real time. This could be inopportune if you are in church, in a meeting, etc. You can also mute the channel by pressing and holding on the channel and selecting mute.

Any questions?

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Re: Zello Instructions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »
Is this a new enigma code method of us communicating?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
Is this a new enigma code method of us communicating?

Nemo

These should not be considered any level of secure. This is mostly for net usage, but people are free to have conversations on it as well. If we get a lot of chatter going, I will make a second channel for casual conversations and leave the original for net usage only. We shall see how it plays out.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Offline mechmedic

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
Cajun navy used it for dispatching comms during their Florence Response all over. It’s a cool app but is by no means a replacement for real radios as it is dependent on an internet connection.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
How or where do you put the password? I keep getting Wrong Channel Password.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
Cajun navy used it for dispatching comms during their Florence Response all over. It’s a cool app but is by no means a replacement for real radios as it is dependent on an internet connection.

100% this. Not a replacement. A supplement for when the interwebs still exist. Excellent thing to point out brother.