Author Topic: Windows 10: July 29, 2015  (Read 3167 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Windows 10: July 29, 2015
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Hey, I was talking to a Microsoft rep last week and he told me that Windows 10 was coming out on July 29th. It is free IF you have Win 8.0 or 8.1 and you pre register for it.

Go here to preregister.

I told the Rep. that I hope Win 10 was better than the piece of crap called 8.0 and 8.1. He laughed and told me that 10 was developed to do just that. We will see.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
Re: Windows 10: July 29, 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
I'm not a techie in the slightest. But Windows 8 is a piece of shit. Microsoft software in general has been a real nuisance for me. I've had to redownload it probably a dozen times in 3 years because of viruses. And god forbid you try to delete a file.

And thanks for the update.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:23 AM »
I thought Windows 7 users would also upgrade?

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
For free, I mean.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

I thought Windows 7 users would also upgrade?
Windows 7 too can upgrade for free.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »
APX and Special-K will warn folks against being the first one on the block to get it. The reason being why I never go to a new restaurant. We always wait a week or two after they open so the kinks will be worked out. ;D

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:49 PM »
Once you go Mac...you'll never go back!   :trolling:
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
My thoughts-- do a hard restore point on my laptop, which is the only computer I use and it has 8.  Right now it is always asking me and wanting me to go to 8.1.

Go directly to the 10 after setting the hard point.  If there is a problem go back to the 8, going back to the hard point.  I had to do that after going to 8.1 and it would not let me use my firefox and a couple other things. 

If it works ok or better, be happy with the 10. 

Geeks, thoughts please.

Nemo

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:00:54 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
Probably after you change you OS version there is no easy way to come back no matter if you create restore points or whatever.
I say probably and can't confirm it because it isn't available yet, but usually that's the way it worked.
I'm happy with my Win7 and plan to stick to it for some time until the new platform is well polished.

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
It took about a couple hours to get back to restore point from the 8.1 to the 8.0 but thats only a tenth of a point.  This upgrade would be  2 full points.  Up to you geeks out there to advise.

So . . .?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Shadow

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
The only difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10 is that Windows 10 is designed to look like the browser on your cell phone.

HTML protocol is different between Mozilla Firefox, Google, Internet Explorer etc.

When a person makes a web page manually - like I had to do two years ago at Penn State for my IST class, the web page has to be made in a certain way - else it will look different in each browser and might not even open in some browsers correctly.

When Microsoft is done, which this is going to be the last Windows program they offer, your web browser and home page and desktop will look exactly the same as if you had an Iphone or what ever they call those stupid things these days.

The only basic difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is the desktop - which features tiles and applications on the Windows 8 machine.
Windows 8 was designed to be used with a touch screen.  Much the same as the touch screen on a cell phone....
Windows 7 was made to look a lot more like Windows XP or Vista - which is where Microsoft should have stopped - because it worked!

If you do not like the idea of having Windows 10 - don't upload and install it, because it is not backwards comparable.
My Windows 8 machine did not come with a back up disc or a product key.
When it crashes, unless you know someone - you have to buy it again, or beg Microsoft to give you the product key!

Windows 10 will probably not be stable until at least December 2015...
Your machine will download it a little at a time, to keep from jamming up their server and your hard drive.  Windows 10 will upgrade by itself, a little at a time until it is done downloading.

No telling how much Microsoft will charge for applications to fix their own screw up's or to make it look like Windows 8 or 7?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »
Shadow brings up some good points.

I was talking with Microsoft about "10" and they told me that I will now be able to run some programs that are onlt runnable with a ipad, android etc., like using the internet to watch tv on my lap top using a log-in ap from my cable provider.

A case in point: I have COX cable in RI. If I am up at the cabin during football season and the Pat's are not on a local channel. I could sign into cox and watch the game using my RI cox account at the cabin in NE PA. Currently only Android and IPhone folks can do that using COX.

Offline Shadow

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
There is a down side to this.

Anything that you want will be available - for a fee.

Back in the day, Windows XP and previous, you could get downloads and programs for free, now they want to sell you applications to run the programs.
Microsoft Office - which was FREE, now costs around $150 - $200, as much as most computers are worth.
Kids likes the touch screen, it reminds them of being in a convenience store and ordering food from a computer terminal.  Older people doesn't like it because they realize, I am the person that has to pay the bill!

Kids don't care because their parents give them everything today and they don't have to work for what they get!

If I have to pay $500 for app's to get the programs I need and use on my Windows XP machine for free, this is going to drive me towards getting an iPhone - NOT!
Actually, in today's world, probably 90% of all computer use has gone to cell phones, and only us older folks and business users still uses computers and monitors.
I can only imagine that most of the people that visits this forum either uses a lap top or a cell phone...

The only difference between me and other people is that when they shut your cell phone off, or the cell tower goes down, my home computer still works.  I don't have to store my private information in the Cloud - because my computer has 2 Terrabytes of memory!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 06:46:37 AM »
Hear ya' Shadow.

Even though "they" keep asking me to use the cloud I refuse. Everything is either stored on my computer or a memory stick or two.

With that written half my Kindle books are stored on the cloud.

brat

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »

gadget99

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
I use Linux now. (Ubuntu)

Works better, more secure and you do not have to buy any programs.