Site Suggestions/ Questions/ Comments/Debugging > Help a brother prepper out

Good (for today's measure of good) ammo prices with free shipping 12/27/2021

<< < (2/3) > >>

RB in GA:
While I agree with the comments made, especially about spreading the allocation of resources around, I also see the value in the concept of "arm your neighbor when the SHTF".  Like Johnny said, at my age I'm auxillary with the implied limitations.  However, (and with judicial screening, of course) those young bucks without means to an end might need a helping hand...

As a side note, in a true SHTF situation, I fully expect game to be rapidly depleted anywhere near any urban centers, and spreading along travel routes from there when the population finally decides to boogie.  Just the sheer numbers of people will do an extintion level event of anything handy to eat.  That's when those young bucks mentioned above might come in handy.

And on that note Midway has free shipping with 49.00 purchase again, so if you looking for some of Johnny's force multipliers it might help some.

Felix:
Ayup, replacement of practice rounds is (or should be) a consideration.   Like ALL skills, even those with "muscle memory", a little "brush up" is required now and then.   For me that translates into maybe twice a year, under 60 rounds per weapon - enough to know that I haven't slipped too badly and most of all to reaffirm confidence that groupings are where they are supposed to be, that nothings been knocked out of intended zero.   Taking a few squirrels every year (22 shp/head shots only) helps keep the "Aim small, miss small" frame of mind.
Totally agree about "extinction level" event where everybody and their surviving dog will be hitting up poor Bambi for pure survival.  But edible game's steep decline would mirror the precipitous decline of humans too, no?   Granted, perhaps many "lean years" before numbers recover, but they have in the past.   OK, so mastodons and cave bears didn't, I get that.   Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.   Keep a full file of vegan recipes, just in case.  :-)
Those good warriors over at American Partisan are more than willing to share their hard-earned knowledge and there are courses I'd like to sign up for.    But two things: bad money year, 1) my purchase of a thermal scope remains on hold and 2) this still leaves me time to fill with prepping as an auxiliary.   At age 70 (next week) I am past the Operator/Recon stage of life.   But fully embrace the truth and necessity of being part of any resistance where support of trigger pullers comes into play - see Irish Troubles - guerillas require a deep and wide pool to swim and operate in long term.
I too bought a few radios to share with neighbors, have volumes 1 and 2 of Jack Lawson's Civil Defense Manual (along with a Ranger Handbook) and try to understand who's who in my neighborhood, that a coherent cooperative force might be organized.   
So yes to more ammo.   But always in a context of multiple challenges/requirements that can't/won't be completely known until they are already upon us.

FeedingFreedom:
Back in the days long ago, when ammo was affordable, I used to fire at least 500 rounds a week to stay in practice. I bought a laser dry-fire system and now I "fire" 150 rounds minimum a day, 6 days a week. Cut my training ammo use by 90% and I get some training every day, at least in draw, presentation, and first shot. I use my limited range time to practice things that take more space, or that I want to do at longer ranges. The dry-fire takes a few minutes and really makes a difference in my shooting, as well as reloads and weapon manipulation.

I have a minimum number of rounds that I keep for each firearm, and some people would say it's really high but once the supply chain really breaks down or hyperinflation starts, what you have is what you're going to have. Always new people that need live-fire training or to distribute your stock to several locations in case of a catastrophic loss at any one place. Plus they do make decent barter coin, but I would be cautious of indications that I had a lot of anything to trade, and I wouldn't want to contribute to the armament of a potential adversary.

Judging by what happened here during the Great Depression, the deer population will be gone long before anyone's supply of "hunting caliber" ammo is exhausted. Deer, turkey, and other edible critters will be almost if not totally extinct in very short order if large numbers of people are going hungry.

As for having "too much" ammunition, there's no such thing. Basic combat load is all the ammunition you can possibly carry, plus a couple extra boxes in your pack. No matter how much you bring, the first gunfight will make you wish you brought more.

JohnyMac:
Felix...Happy pre Birthday wishes  :cheers:

grizz:
5.56 is also great for hunting

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version