Author Topic: Two Log Morning  (Read 433 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Two Log Morning
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
Well the weather has changed from 80 degree days to mid-sixties and high-thirties in the wee hours of the morning. When I got up at 0600 hrs today (Try to get up before the alarm radio and NPR blare out fake news) and it was 64 degrees inside.

Several weeks ago I had the making's of a fire already to go so I struck a match - Half an hour later, it was 68 degrees in the cabin. Only used two logs.

How is the fall coming about in your neck of the woods???
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Two Log Morning
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »
   Well, the weather service says the temperature at the nearby airport was 28 F this morning.  We definitely had frost, as I had to run the defroster a bit before I went in to work.  Supposedly we're going to get frost again Saturday night too.  I still have a fair bit of outside chores to do before it really gets cold.  Saturday I plan on rototilling the gardens and plant our garlic for next year.  I also have some antenna projects that I'd like to do before the really cold weather too.  There's never a dull moment in the country.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:10:12 AM »
That's true Jackalope...Never a dull moment.

Finishing the first floor tiling later today. Once the grout dries I can reinstall the toilet. That will make MrsMac happy as she will not have to go upstairs then.  ;D

Once that is done, I can start on the outside stuff like splitting the wood I cut to stove length in August, rototilling the garden, etc.

In November, when the leaves are down, I will put up my full wave 160 meter antenna.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
I just got back from the Elmira Ham Fest (AKA Horseheads Ham Fest) and it was terrible.

Because this is an outside event only and it was raining off & on, cats & dogs, only ~ 10% of the sellers showed up and actually had things on tables. Normally there is ~200 tables and folks selling things out the back of their pick-ups.

The temp was 48 degrees too. So it was cold and wet.

Since MrsMac wasn't with me, I had pancakes & sausages with LOTS & LOTS of syrup. Met many old ham friends and made a few. Once couple was from Hamilton, ON. They were a hoot as they hated Mr. Obama.

Oh well now I have to put grout down on the new tile in the bathroom. 

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
   Darn, I knew the Elmira hamfest was around this time of year, just didn't know it was today :-(  The Nearfest is next weekend.  It was a decent day up here in the North Country, sunny, but cool, a high of maybe 55 degrees.  There will definitely be frost tonight.  We had a fire in the woodstove this morning.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
About 1600 hrs I was cleaning up from the grout chore and turned to MrsMac and said, "hey, its cold in here...Aren't you cold?"

She said that she was freezing. So I walked over to the Davis Weather Station and it was 64 degrees inside. Why didn't she say anything???

Anyway we went to a restaurant for dinner and upon getting home I started the wood stove. We have had it running since then.

No frost last night but it did get down to 35 degrees. The weather man predicts high 30's/low 40's for tonight. Then the rest of the week in the 40's at night, mid 60's during the day.

I need to put the garden to bed for the winter and plant my garlic.

We still need to harvest, turnips, potatoes, onions, and the last of the bush beans, PLUS all of the winter squash.