Author Topic: Teach my own pistol course?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Teach my own pistol course?
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
I'm considering offering my own pistol course. I keep taking courses and they never cut it. I know what I think a basic pistol class should have in it and so far no ones offering it around here. I took a course yesterday. Great guy, iraq vet etc.. just some stuff didn't make sense to me. The lessons were all over the place. One minute I'm clearing my house the next I'm combat gliding with a whole squad.

I'm looking for any advice you guys have good or bad. If I do it I will only offer a beginner class for now. The course will be called something like "Fighting Pistol Manipulation" it will cover all aspects of running the gun itself and no scenario driven exercises. Reloads, Draw, Stance, Clearing malfunctions, Marksmanship Fundamentals etc. This will leave the student the ability to employ these skills in their own ways.

Thoughts?
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
Re: Teach my own pistol course?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
Hey Ken I think you'll need to research the legal stuff first

Do you need some gov certification in California to give weapon manipulation classes?
Where would you run the classes?
Do you have a legal obligation to have insurance for the class?

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
Hey Ken I think you'll need to research the legal stuff first

Do you need some gov certification in California to give weapon manipulation classes?
Where would you run the classes?
Do you have a legal obligation to have insurance for the class?

All good questions I dont have certain answers for. The way I see it is if I teach you to fish and you set the hook in your jugular and kill yourself that's on you.

A waiver may be in order.

As far as location I've got a few options. The guys class I took yesterday was at a public range we all paid for range time and went at it. Hes NRA instructor certified. Dont see that legally holding anything. Its just one private business giving another approval. He deffinatly has no insurance lol.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »
Ken, when the last business that I worked for closed I did pretty much what you are talking about.  Only I teach armed and unarmed self defense.  Your analogy of teaching a guy to fish might be a problem if his attorney brings up the fact that you were a paid instructor and were negligent in mentioning one of a million things that he claims would have prevented his client from hurting himself or someone else .

I would suggest opening an LLC as well as obtaining liability insurance.  Your NRA instructor could have purchased his for $300 per year from that organization for $500,000 in protection.  I'm not sure about CA, but in Florida the LLC costs about $300per year to set up as well.  Then you have the local permits and state taxes to contend with.

Plan it out with a business plan.  You'll be miles ahead.

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco