Author Topic: Relatives  (Read 440 times)

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Relatives
« on: January 17, 2021, 08:17:24 PM »
I don't know if we have had any discussions about Relatives but here goes. My relatives are very aware that the wife and I are Preppers. Yes, I've heard the old "Well, I'm just coming to your house" Bullshit. I've told them to prepare for themselves and I have given them some things to get them started. Some are oblivious and think that nothing is going to happen or if it does the Government will help them. Well, they going to be totally screwed. Others in the family are minimally preparing and that's better than nothing. Still others, and that number is small, are actively but very slowly preparing themselves. The one's that aren't doing anything can't seem to grasp the notion that if nothing happens, so what, they still have all that stuff and it can still be used. I don't think they are stupid, I just think they lack Wisdom. I wonder how many others on the forum have discussed or encouraged prepping with their family members? :what:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Relatives
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 10:03:09 PM »
     I've discussed it my son and step-sons.  They prep in their own ways.  However, I do try to store sufficient stock to cover them in the event they do show up on my doorstep.  They understand that if they do come here, they will be working.   Some of my cousins and siblings may suspect that we prep, but no one has ever asked me directly about it.  I have been asked about why we homestead, and we reply, "because it's healthier, and we know where our food comes from."

The other thing about family, is that I expect them to do things that I wouldn't ask of neighbors or friends, and to keep silent.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 10:15:37 PM »
I have had friends visit and when they say, "Oh I know where to go when the SHTF" I tell them to not even think about it.

I do not know what is going on with my brother. At one time we were very close and he to was a prepper too. Hopefully he has continued and comes fully stocked. I will leave that up to the good Lord.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
I regularly get the " I coming to you if SHTF" from extended family /friends.  My standard reply is DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. Sometimes followed by a reminder that my rifles are zeroed and my property is ranged so it may not be healthy to just show up.

My two kids and their significant others are the only ones other than my small group who have made specific plans that I have made accommodations for.  My kids are in their mid 20s and are not preppers themselves (my daughter and fer fiance are at least starting somewhat) but do help me around here. I base all of my preps around them being here as well.  I only plan or work with a small grou that understand about each person contributing.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »
Good discussion.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 02:11:43 PM »
All my family is 5000 miles away
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
I am right now 225 miles away from a functional rifle.  Lets hope everything holds off till Monday.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:26:29 AM »
Nemo, sounds like a personal problem.  :lmfao:  :cheers:

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »
A daughter, who lives in the Phoenix metro area, now always carries concealed and has food stored beyond the average.   I encouraged her to think about how she and family would evacuate to Flagstaff area.   Traveling the obvious/easy routes would certainly invite continual conflict with desperate people if conditions were such that evacuation was warranted in the first place.   As the crow flies, we're talking @ 140+ miles?   But in rugged terrain, gaining over 5,000 ft in altitude, I doubt many humans will be able to sprout crow's wings.  And _IF_ they can average 20 miles/day on foot... well... better have extra socks and some good backpacks (I suggested and she did buy a Katadyn water pump/filter).
The wife-person OTOH (she who must be obeyed - just ask her) insists on marinating on network TV for her news.   Which amounts to nothing less, nothing more than normalcy bias confirmation propaganda.   Fear and superstition.
So there it is.  One who is willing to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.
And one who refuses to believe "the worst" could ever happen.  And takes her assurances that the "government" will keep making things OK.
THAT is why many refuse to prep and THAT is why preppers are targeted with ridicule.   Fear and superstition.   To name the bad man... to even hint at preparing against the bad man... is to acknowledge that a bad man might even exist.   Refuse to think about or recognize his name and presto, you are safe from any visits from him.   Easy peasy.  My theory and I'm sticking to it until modified or blown up by compelling evidence.
OK, now I'll take my degree in pop-psychology from the Prepper University if peer review warrants it.   :-)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:18 AM »
Great words of wisdom Professor.  :cheers:

Ahhh yes Flagstaff. The home of some serious leftist's.....Northern AZ. U. LOL

I know the area well as my father retired from Oak Harbor, WA. to Williams AZ. Made that jog from PHX to Williams a few times in my life. Great drive going from the low desert to the high desert.

Not to high jack this thread...

MrsMac and I were making our way home last night from a ham radio club meeting I just joined last night. It was an hour drive to and then back home over partially snow covered country roads. Deer darted on our journeys back and forth across the road from one farmers field to another. Blah, blah, blah, oh, and it was all up hill too. Anyway....

On the way home, we had Sean Hannity on the radio and MrsMac started to cry. I immediately thought, okay, "what did I do wrong at the meeting to embarrass her." Not that has ever happened before mind you.

I cautiously asked her, "is everything ok?"

Well she said, "no" and went into a short diatribe about how the future looked so bleak for the country under the helm of Biden, McConnell, Schumer, and Pelosi.

Once she was done and had taken a deep breath, I reminded her that, at least for the short haul, we were ready for what ever was thrown at us. We had each other and some really good friends and neighbors. Yes  some a couple hours away, but good folks we could count on and visa versa. We also have a deep belief that the good Lord is looking out for America.

At which time three undisciplined deer decided to scamper across the road in front of us. I pumped the breaks and swerved just enough not to have to wash the blood off the grill of my vehicle.

I started to laugh and MrsMac asked, "what is so funny? You scared the crap out of me?" Please notice no thank you for avoiding bambi mind you. "Well hun, I just thought, you are concerned about the end of the world and heck we may not make it home alive this evening."

I guess she saw the humor in the situation and she too started to giggle under her breath. Then said, "well slow down anyway, you always drive like a maniac."  :troutSlap: :suicide:

Sometimes you just can't win for losing.  :violin:

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »
... and some really good friends and neighbors. Yes  some a couple hours away, but good folks we could count on and visa versa. We also have a deep belief that the good Lord is looking out for America.

Damn straight you do! Ready to rock and roll at the redoubt at a moment's notice

At which time three undisciplined deer decided to scamper across the road in front of us. I pumped the breaks and swerved just enough not to have to wash the blood off the grill of my vehicle.

......Then said, "well slow down anyway, you always drive like a maniac."  :troutSlap: :suicide:

For starts, glad you are okay. As for your driving, there have been a few times you made me grip the seat on a back road curve at night  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
    Yeah, Johny does roll along quickly.  But I've also heard the "you drive like a maniac" refrain from my spouse. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:00:55 AM by Jackalope »

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »
    Yeah, Johny does roll along quickly.  But I've also heard the "you drive like a maniac" refrain from my spouse.

lol touche  :trolling:
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »
You drive a PA State Trooper look-a-like vehicle, a black Explorer with antennas all over it, ya' have to drive like a Statie.

A good friend and retired Binghamton Police Department LEO once told me, "with the way you have that Explorer set up and you driving with a ball cap and wraparound sunglasses, you look like a damn state CSI big wig. NO TROOPER is going to take the chance to pull YOU over and risk getting their hand smacked". LOL....

Maybe that is why Statie's sitting on the Turnpike looking for a traffic ticket collar, often wave or blink their lights as I blast pass them.  :dance:

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 04:34:45 PM »
You drive a PA State Trooper look-a-like vehicle, a black Explorer with antennas all over it, ya' have to drive like a Statie.

A good friend and retired Binghamton Police Department LEO once told me, "with the way you have that Explorer set up and you driving with a ball cap and wraparound sunglasses, you look like a damn state CSI big wig. NO TROOPER is going to take the chance to pull YOU over and risk getting their hand smacked". LOL....

Maybe that is why Statie's sitting on the Turnpike looking for a traffic ticket collar, often wave or blink their lights as I blast pass them.  :dance:

Bwahahaha.... I drive a Silver Ford Expedition with 3 antennas on top. I always wear CAMO. The local boys think its an unmarked State vehicle. Sometimes they even wave. :lmfao:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 04:45:49 PM »
Absolutely PKv. The unmarked police cars go to the Brass every time.  :cheers: