Off Topic/ B.S. > General Off Topic

New YT Vid Thread.

<< < (2/30) > >>

Reaver:

--- Quote from: wildturkey on March 04, 2012, 05:54:19 PM ---Maybe a separate section just for the videos, then just go in post the title and video up. That was we arent dumping alot of videos on top of one another and if someone new wants to see if we have a video on a certain subject they can look in the video section. Just a thought.

--- End quote ---
Fuck yeah I like it.

Kentactic:
I gotcha reaver

and yes a thread with no posts other then the video posts would be good.

JohnyMac:
Ken, I think your suggestion concerning using the bench is right on concerning sighting in your rifle.

I sighted in a 42" .54 cal. BP rifle using a bench. I was getting nice clover leaf at 50 yards. Then I started shooting the rifle sitting, prone and off hand. I got different groups with each position. Not much but different.

I was getting frustrated and one of the range officers at the club told me that where you place the bag or your hand on the barrel can affect "harmonics."

His position was that I had nice groups at each position so just take that in mind when shooting at one of those positions. 

Now with that said, I  can bench sight in a .22 and she will hit right where I point her at any position. Mmmmmmm?

Kentactic:

--- Quote from: JohnyMac on March 04, 2012, 09:09:22 PM ---Ken, I think your suggestion concerning using the bench is right on concerning sighting in your rifle.

I sighted in a 42" .54 cal. BP rifle using a bench. I was getting nice clover leaf at 50 yards. Then I started shooting the rifle sitting, prone and off hand. I got different groups with each position. Not much but different.

I was getting frustrated and one of the range officers at the club told me that where you place the bag or your hand on the barrel can affect "harmonics."

His position was that I had nice groups at each position so just take that in mind when shooting at one of those positions. 

Now with that said, I  can bench sight in a .22 and she will hit right where I point her at any position. Mmmmmmm?

--- End quote ---

yep that sounds about right. the reason is the muzzle is able to flip up more when in one position compared to another... off hand the group will likely land higher then it would in the prone position (not always but it will be moving somewhere cmore then likely) because the guns able to push the shooter backwards more when shooting off hand. this is why i dont think zeroing a rifle off a bench is such a good idea if your looking for fine precision. your shooting from a position you may never actually shoot from in the real world.

but like you experienced with the .22 theres not enough recoil there to make any significant change from one position to another.

same thing happens when shooting prone, if you load the bipod on one shot and then dont load the bipod on the next shot. the second shot will likely fly high. and the same maybso with a bag under the front of the rifle to act as a bipod... where it is under the rifle will affect the shot aswell.

With harmonics you deffinatly dont want anything touching the barrel, Stock, Hand etc should all stay clear of the barrel. the only thing the barrel should be touching is the action its threaded into if optimal precision is the goal.

JohnyMac:
Thanks Ken.  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version