Author Topic: Looking for a New Vehicle for Mrs Mac  (Read 1038 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Looking for a New Vehicle for Mrs Mac
« on: August 18, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
It's time for me to do my research on a new car for the wife.

The requirements are:
1) Must have a manual transmission (my wife only will drive a manual transmission  :facepalm:),
2) Must have "on demand" not "all of the time" 4WD, and
3) Reasonable ground clearance but not have to climb up into.

She currently has a 2005 Mini Cooper S with 75,000 miles or so on it.

We have looked at the Toyota FJ, Subaru Forester and Nissan Xterra and of course not one vehicle has all of the requirements listed above. 

THOUGHTS/SUGGESTIONS?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: Looking for a New Vehicle for Mrs Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
From what I remember, the FJ and Xterra might be a bit of a climb to get into. Subaru might be her best bet, and they hold value better than most vehicles. I have a Ford Escape, and that might be something to consider too.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »
One thing about the Xterra... It's looks can be deceiving!  It looks like a decent sized vehicle from the outside, but the interior is extremely cramped... at least in the front seats.  I come from big & tall stock and found that the puny Honda element actually has more room that an Xterra.
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »
If the Escape came with a manual trany it would be the one we would get.  :thumbsUp:

MrsMac is dead set on a manual transmission which is the biggest problem.

So far the Subaru is in the lead but I hate all the time 4WD. Still looking for other vehicle suggestions that meet our needs.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
The Xterra came with the option of a blower, solid front axle with a 5 speed... but like SK is saying they are not the most comfortable in front or in back. I rode to Utah in the back seat of one and almost bought a bus ticket for the ride home. It was that bad.

From personal experience I can tell you that the 60/40 split on Subaru's 4x4 makes it feel more like a front wheel drive car but with the predictability of a rear wheel drive.

I think that Mrs.K would enjoy the 'ride' of a Subaru Baja and find that the ride height makes for easy in and out. The sash-less windows in the door would also help.

Offline polecat

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
We rented a Jeep Compass to go to the prepper expo in Bakersfield. Nice car. Nothing spectacular, but it did 80 on highway 58 with no problems through Tehachapi. I'm on the 'big & tall' side at 6'2" and 260, and I had no problems getting comfortable for a 6 hour drive. Plenty of power, turns on a dime, decent mileage along with surprising cargo room. My Silverado has more leg room, but the compass achieved waaaaay better mileage.

Comes standard with a 5 speed, manual 4wd and the layout is good without noticeable blind spots.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:45 PM »
Thx Polecat...I didn't know that the Jeep Compass came with a manual trany!

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
I don't know about the 4WD - I don't think that's an option - but I'm lusting after the Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI.  My husband has the Golf and gets 40+ mpg. 
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
Right on!

How long have you and your Hubie live where you do? If you haven't been through a winter there you will wish you have 4WD  or a horse & sleigh ;-)

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
We've been here a year and a half.  Last winter was No. Fun.  Normally the commute to my previous job was about an hour.  It took me three hours to get home and I finally got stuck IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY!  *pant, pant*  Not that that was frustrating at all. :D  To be fair, we have a 700' driveway and it slopes UP to the house.  I currently have a little Hyundai Elantra.  Great car for when we were living in town and my commute was one exit off the highway, not so much for rural living.  However, now that I work from home I really don't have any reason to replace it until the wheels fall off.  My husband still commutes over an hour, though he's much more comfortable driving in icky conditions.  We were talking about instead of getting me the Sportswagen when the time comes, getting a pick up.  He could borrow it when weather is bad.  We'll see. As much as I would love a new car, I would NOT love a new car payment.
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com