Author Topic: Lend a helping hand  (Read 1261 times)

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
Lend a helping hand
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »
The link below is a good starting place for finding out how to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.  Our hearts go out to those of you on the forum who are currently in the wake of the hurricane. 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/us/iyw-how-to-help-after-sandy/index.html

In the aftermath of this terrible event, we can't forget our heroes that are fighting for our freedom in an unending storm, or their families who are waiting for them at home.  The following link is to a great organization that I recently became privy to, called operation gratitude.

http://www.operationgratitude.com/

Give blood, money, clothes, batteries, etc... and get a warm feeling inside that may or may not be heartburn  ;)

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: Lend a helping hand
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
I've always had a hard time making up my mind when it comes to making charitable donations, there are so many good charities out there how am I supposed to pick one or two?

You don't have worry about that with Operation Gratitude they send packages to everyone from guy on the front, wounded warriors, veterans and their families. If you are going to make one donation this year I would recommend them.

Atleast check out their webpage.

And rememeber the greatest nation in the world is DoNation.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
Welcome thatGirl to SP!

I second thatguy's endorsement of Operation Gratitude  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »
Welcome, That that that that that that girl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrLvC-m4uo

Offline Reaver

• Hardcore Prepper
  • I just want it to start already
    • ASTINvlogs
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:43:22 AM »
EJR. [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Thatgirl. Welcome but no. Ain't ganna happen. I'm barely helping myself in this life. Maybe in the next though.
Any station this is net, any station this is net. Monster One Alpha Radio check over.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
I am broke, I never have enough time to get shit done, I never get enough shit done, I'm hard on others and harder on myself.  Just like repenting in church, donation of any kind is an easy way to make it okay that I'm a miserable human being to be around.  Some of us are living paycheck to paycheck (myself included), some without a paycheck, some without a home in the wake of the hurricane, and in the case of our troops, some are away from their families while being shot at and bombed.  I'm always reminding myself that it may be bad, but it could always be worse. 

Donating doesn't always mean monetary, it can be blood, items you don't use, or a simple letter of appreciation to a veteran, wounded soldier, etc...  I watched a guy in line at the airport recently step aside and let a soldier go ahead of him.  He told his 3 yr old kid that letting the soldier check his bags first was the least they could do to show appreciation and told his son to say thank you to the soldier.  I am amazed that TSA didn't throw a bitch fit about people changing position in line, but it's simple gestures of respect and appreciation regardless of our lots in life that keep us civil as a society and make our country great.  If you can give in a conventional way, do- you'll feel better for it.  If you can't, there are plenty of things you can do that don't cost a dime and can help the common good. 

There are some really cool things that can come from the current state of the country, it's not all terrible.  We have the opportunity to form tighter knit communities, simplify our lives, become more self-sufficient, bring jobs back to America by producing more goods in-house, putting the mom-and-pop back in shop.  It's really cool that this forum is a place for people to share what they know and learn about what they don't, that's helping.  With all of that said, if you're in that bad of shape then donate to your own cause. 

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
Great post TG.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
I agree Crudos, just reading it now for the first time I am amazed at how cunning thatGirl is :o

I need to change the password on my laptop!

That said I agree 100% with what she wrote on my behalf. We need to start thinking about how we can make our own corner of the world a better place.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »
No TG, what you need to do is logout when you use my computer to surf the forum.  I unintentionally hijacked TG's account this time, sorry for the confusion.  Leave me logged in, it took me 8 tries to remember my damn password  >:(
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
LOL

Welcome ThatGirl!  This is the most entertaining this forum has been in a while!  [url=http://yoursmiles.org/p-m

That said I do agree with you that it takes all of us contributing to making our community, states and even nation better and not just monetarily.  I constantly volunteer and work for the good of the community and gladly suffer in ways that others don't just so they don't have to. 

However I do have to say that working for the good of the community is not always perceived as common good today as we have already seen people roaming the street PRE-disaster with hands out and open demanding they be sustained.  Why? Because they are entitled and won't work like the rest of us for whatever they can get even if that means lowering their standards of living.

And I will not be donating to the Red Cross or any large organization like that which has a track record of discrepancies when it comes to actually spending the money where it is needed when it is needed.  Not that they haven't done good, just that I trust them lol.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for welcoming onto your forum!  I commend your community outreach, Outonowhere, and I agree with your concerns and frustrations about the way the system works and how people take it for granted.  One of the biggest hurdles we have to face in this country at the moment is getting past this feeling of entitlement and our reliance upon the government to provide services that should never be placed under the jurisdiction of the feds.  I am outraged by the "gimme gimme" attitude that has become a standard here, as well as a general refusal of people to take personal responsibility for their welfare.  By accepting and abusing government handouts, which are actually handouts from the pockets of contributing members of society, we are handing over our civil liberties.  To top it, people want to bitch about the government being involved in their business.  Fuck yeah they are involved in your business when you rely on them to feed and cloth you, pay your subsidized rent, heat your house, and buy your drugs- that's a sugar daddy, not a political system. 

Good hard working people need extra help now and then, and we pay enough into the system to provide them that help as long as we aren't carrying a bunch of dead weight on the dole.  Ultimately, poor education, lack of discipline, and the loss of moral fiber in our diets is lending to this ever increasing problem of entitlement.  In big cities you don't know your neighbors, so no one is forced to where the scarlet A when they fuck up, and everyone's a swindler cause no one gets hanged.  You don't see these same problems by and large in small towns because you do have to look your neighbors in the eye each day.  That is why we need to find unconventional ways such as this forum to form communities where people can guide each other back to an understanding of right and wrong, not from the stand point of Johnny Law, but from a do unto others approach.  It's not the government's job to feed families in trouble, that's what local church groups and neighbors are for. 

Unfortunately it's hard to know in situations like Hurricane Sandy, who should be helped and who shouldn't.  I personally consider times like these to be of less concern in terms of how much the system is defrauded than what's happening in plain sight the rest of the time.  I'm not entirely convinced that denying the free-loaders help wouldn't punish honest Americans in the process, but if you have the ability to actively choose ways to help that you trust and feel good about, that's awesome.  One of the things I like about the CNN weblink I provided for helping hurricane victims, is that it directs you to some sites that will let you know if a charity is legit, although in the case of the Red Cross, that app wouldn't help.         

Feel free to tell me to get down off the cross if I seem to be too preachy, but I have to say it feels good to discuss these things...
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

STRAITJACKET

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
Preach on. [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 07:04:21 AM »
AMEN SISTER! TESTIFY!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:30:15 AM by hjmoosejaw »

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
You're doing great speaking your mind and putting out some good info and opinions.

Our biggest hurdle here in this situation, as in so many...  IS the Federal Gubernmant.

Walmart and Pepsi had tangible consumable supplies available for the victims MUCH quicker than FEMA.
http://www.examiner.com/article/new-york-pepsi-and-walmart-donated-food-beverages-and-other-supplies
FEMA, despite knowing that things could turn Katrina AGAIN (and they have) did not bolster its stocks or have stocks on the road prior to landfall.  In fact it was not till late last week that they ORDERED more water.  And this was after they FINED Walmart for not having bottled water in stock INSIDE the areas of devastation.

Donations of tangible goods and consumables across the nation are being turned away and money demanded citing inability to transport the goods across the country.  I suspect that there are truckers and companies willing to donate time and gas or at least be reimbursed later in order to get that stuff there.  Let alone the FED under the NDRP could commandeer said trucks for such uses.

Katrina 2.0 in progress...
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:44 AM »
Well, subjugating the masses does take a lot of time, money, and man-power these days.  When natural disaster strikes, letting folks sit'n'spin is an effortless way to knock the piss out of the populace every now then.  There are a lot of boots on the ground and people working very hard to provide aide, but the governments dropping the ball while we're waiting for the President's balls to drop.  I am shocked that Obama didn't over prepare for Sandy to avert the same fallout that befell Bush with Katrina .  Why was Gov. Christie the only one willing to tell people that evacuations needed to happen and that rescue workers lives would not be put at risk to save folks that chose not to evacuate?

That's why my vote goes to Gary Johnson for President.  He was the Governor of New Mexico for 8 yrs and we did not suffer a single hurricane casualty here in the southwest that entire time  :D
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
Cheesy but funny.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
It's true HJ, not so much as a window broken by a hurricane ;)

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
It's true HJ, not so much as a window broken by a hurricane ;)

You guys are lucky. Of course, I can't complain, the only thing I have to worry about here in Pa. is that volcano out back of the house rumbling once in awhile.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
Life after the Sandy storm continues, not as usual, but not all bad.  I have the feeling that some new life long friendships are going be formed this Thanksgiving as the more fortunate folks in Sandy's path host dinner for those less fortunate.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/11/20/after-sandy-celebrating-thanksgiving-any-way-they-can/

I know I rant and rave about people asking for handouts, but there are a lot of folks on the streets that can use a little TLC.  I ran across this feelgood story, I especially like the note the Turkey Fairy leaves along with warm gifts.  The homeless problem can partly be attributed to those human loving liberals that deemed institutionalization inhumane and sent tons of batshit crazy folks out onto the streets where no one makes sure that they are fed, clothed, or medicated.  You can't fix stupid, but you can wrap crazy in a blanket...

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_cuyahoga/Turkey-Fairy-strikes-again-leaving-blankets-scarves-in-Lyndhurst-bus-stop

I searched the internet for some feel good stories that come out of the damaged woodwork to remind myself and others to look for the silver lining while watching the storm moving in.  Unless it's a literal storm attached to another hurricane.  In that case move inside or evacuate to higher ground.  Have a safe, Tryptophan filled holiday!!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:46:03 PM by thatGirl »
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
You can't fix stupid, but you can wrap crazy in a blanket...

Well said!