Author Topic: Why We Prepare: "be prepared." (moved from Priscella The Prepper section.)  (Read 1229 times)

kindredspirit

Note:

This topic has been moved by a moderator to the general discussion section because it contains exceptional content and insight into the preparedness mindset.  Thank you to kindredspirit who is doing exceptional work at our "Priscella the Prepper" section, and thanks to everyone for thier own contributions.

-505th.NM.Militia
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:15:20 PM by 505th.NM.Militia »

kindredspirit

go bags for kids (repost from Gear)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
I search thru every thread on here and can't find anything for prepping for kids. I dont know about you guys but when tshtf, I plan on taking my kids with me.   I want to make my kids BOBs and this is what I came up so far. (ages 12, 10, 7, 5)  I also want to keep them light weight so that the girls can carry them.  I was thinking of getting the backpacks with wheels on them, so in case they get tired of having them on their backs, they can pull them...if it's feasible. These BOBs are set up more for the need for a quick evacuation.  Anyone have any thoughts? Whats in your kids go bags?

My thoughts so far:

List with their names, our names, contact info, medical history, allergies, family contacts etc (maybe laminate this?)
hand sanitizer gel
small 1st aid kit (really nothing more than bandaids and some ointment)
lip balm
tooth brush and tooth paste
3 bottles of water
3 juice bags
gold fish crackers (in hard container)
trail mix in hard container
carnation instant breakfast mix
6 granola bars each
small jars of peanut butter and spoon (they love it and I fiqure some protien)
2 chocolate bars and some lolly pops
2 packages of ramen noodles each
some wet wipes
A towel (they are light weight and thin.)
extra pair of shoes (tied on to the outside of the BOB)
rain poncho
small bottle of sun screen /insect repellent)
ball cap (attached to the outside of the BOB)
small package of tissue
3 changes of clothing
roll of toilet paper
comb
small stuffed beanie baby in their favorite animals
copy of 1 of their favorite books each
Tablet of drawing paper and set of short colored pencils (for entertainment... nothing like a whiney bored kid who doesnt understand whats going on)
flash light (or head lamp with extra batteries)
those little light sticks - chem sticks?
whistle (in case of seperation)

Cool to help get the kids involved:

http://atv.disney.go.com/playhouse/media/safetypatrol/adults/pdf/LL-Emergency.pdf   (great print out from disney for your kids to help prepare a emergency kit

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: be prepared
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
I would scrap the chemlights because the last thing you want is for one of them to crack one while you are trying to lay low.

I also love the idea of packing peanut butter but I think there might be a better option than jars. http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/ Their products are of the finest quality and believe my you can't pop one of those pouches. Ask me how I know!

Depending on you climate you might want to skip the gold fish crackers. I know that here in the deserts of New Mexico the fat will leave the crackers on a hot day, so not ideal for grab and go.

Throw in a Poncho Liner in lue of a sleeping bag. When uses together with all your clothing on you would be suprised at how warm you will stay.

On the topic of cloths I wouldn't pack more than one solid set of outer wear and a good jacket. Extra socks and a spare pair of underwear sure but the weight of extra clothing that will just end up dirty isn't worth it. We have to be realistic about adjusting our standard of personal grooming in a bug out situation.

For the 12 and 10 year old I would look into getting them junior's external frame back packs. The junior models will be a little big on the older kids but can be adjusted to fit and will serve them well into adulthood, I still hike with my first backpack that was bought for me at the age of 11. Its smaller than a modern adult pack but that only helps keep the weight down. On that note get your kids into Scouting its great for them and awesome "straphanger" training for you and you would be amazed at the gear that gets passed around... always a deal!

Aside from those few points I think your list is rock solid and I love the thought.. I've never seen anyone mention a BOB for the kids!

kindredspirit

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »
White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter?  There goes my budget and my diet!!!  Thanks for the suggestions.... I see your points.  I think the older kids would appreciate a more "grown up" bag... especially one that grows with them.   

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
Check out the Kelty Jr. Tioga, its a little pricy but they say its good from 5 up.

http://www.kelty.com/p-434-jr-tioga-34.aspx?category=backpacks

kindredspirit

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Check out the Kelty Jr. Tioga, its a little pricy but they say its good from 5 up.

http://www.kelty.com/p-434-jr-tioga-34.aspx?category=backpacks

Will check it out tonight!!  Good quality is worth the extra $.  Thanks!!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:03:41 PM »
I wanted to share with you my rationale behind the chem lights in the go bag for kids.  My thought was that kids get afraid in the dark, in strange places.  The chem light, to me, was a night light.... a comfort measure.  Believe me, I understand the not being revealed when you are trying to lay low.... it was exactly that reasoning I thought of the chem light.  I ran across an article about a Jewish mother during the Holocaust that was hiding from the Nazis in the sewer.... no matter what she did she could not get the baby to stop crying.  In fear that the group would be discovered, she smothered the baby.  The mother in the story did survive the Holocaust... but I cant imagine the pain she endured for the loss of that child.  Infants and older children are different.  I know that I should be teaching my kids now the skill sets they may need in a time of crisis.  I was just thinking about my 5 year crying when she has to go to bed and how her voice can be heard for 20 city blocks.... and that maybe that glowing stick would make her feel a little safer, a little more in control of this strange new enviroment. 

I do appreciate your feed back because I never thought about the light giving us away.  I am glad that you brought this up.... because now I see that I have to think about each thing from outside the box.  Step outside of being just a mom and into being a survivor and protector for my family.    I can't tell you how much I am learning from being here.  Crazy how a chem light can so clearly demonstrate the different roles men and women take on.  You ---- the protector and Me--- the nuturer..... and why we benefit from working together.

Anyways..... thanks again.

This is a bit of the private conversation that KindredSpirt and I were having on this topic. I asked her if it was ok to post it before I did.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
I wanted to share with you my rationale behind the chem lights in the go bag for kids.  My thought was that kids get afraid in the dark, in strange places.  The chem light, to me, was a night light.... a comfort measure.  Believe me, I understand the not being revealed when you are trying to lay low.... it was exactly that reasoning I thought of the chem light.  I ran across an article about a Jewish mother during the Holocaust that was hiding from the Nazis in the sewer.... no matter what she did she could not get the baby to stop crying.  In fear that the group would be discovered, she smothered the baby.  The mother in the story did survive the Holocaust... but I cant imagine the pain she endured for the loss of that child.  Infants and older children are different.  I know that I should be teaching my kids now the skill sets they may need in a time of crisis.  I was just thinking about my 5 year crying when she has to go to bed and how her voice can be heard for 20 city blocks.... and that maybe that glowing stick would make her feel a little safer, a little more in control of this strange new enviroment. 

I do appreciate your feed back because I never thought about the light giving us away.  I am glad that you brought this up.... because now I see that I have to think about each thing from outside the box.  Step outside of being just a mom and into being a survivor and protector for my family.    I can't tell you how much I am learning from being here.  Crazy how a chem light can so clearly demonstrate the different roles men and women take on.  You ---- the protector and Me--- the nuturer..... and why we benefit from working together.

This is a bit of the private conversation that KindredSpirt and I were having on this topic. I asked her if it was ok to post it before I did.

On the chem light issue, it might be good to for the comfort of the child use a Sylvania Lite-Stick! http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-DOT-it-Lite-Stick-5-Pack/dp/B001JY4F7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314996785&sr=8-1  This things is waterproof, has a steady and a flashing function and takes 3 button cell batteries.  These batteries can be had 50 for 5 bucks on there too so its not expensive to stock up on.  I have several of these and like them as a reusable alternative to chem lights.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

kindredspirit

Re: Why We Prepare: "be prepared." (moved from Priscella The Prepper section.)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »

On the chem light issue, it might be good to for the comfort of the child use a Sylvania Lite-Stick! http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-DOT-it-Lite-Stick-5-Pack/dp/B001JY4F7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314996785&sr=8-1  This things is waterproof, has a steady and a flashing function and takes 3 button cell batteries.  These batteries can be had 50 for 5 bucks on there too so its not expensive to stock up on.  I have several of these and like them as a reusable alternative to chem lights.

Thanks for that link... I do like this better than the chem lights as they can be turned off and on.... and have batteries so they will last more than just a few hours!