Author Topic: What have you done to prep today?  (Read 107410 times)

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
Re: What have you done to prep today?
« Reply #1025 on: June 17, 2023, 05:09:45 PM »
I've had a very rainy late spring and summer, which has led to some truly huge tomato plants. Today I picked the first of what looks to be a bumper crop from my kitchen garden. My sole remaining stawberry plant literally tripled in size and is loaded with blooms. Parsley, dill, basil all on track, but my peppers and cucumbers just ain't doing well this year (I spite of babying the damn things).  I used grow bags for them this year and it "might" have something to do with it, as they were old ones reused from several years ago. One thing about gardening, you learn to take the good with the bad. Looks like I'll be trading tomatoes for other things this year.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #1026 on: August 06, 2023, 11:41:10 PM »
Hiked local mtn range to a place known as the GROTTO. There was still some water flowing due to spring rains so it wasn?t too dry.

Also modded a 6L MSR Dromdary w MSR hydrate kit? Atacs FG tube cover, and Source Tactical mouthpiece to become my new ruck/ assault pack hydration bladder. I?ve run dry twice just before summit a mtn and it is not a fun experience
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #1027 on: August 07, 2023, 01:27:55 AM »
Hmmmm...... Today? Absolutely nothing. But recently, I fixed a few broken things like a light switch out in my shed. What a piece of crap. It only lasted 28 years. Bwahaha... Our wonderful government has outlawed the sale of incandescent bulbs. Hah, too late, I stocked up on a ton of them many years ago and have enough to last the rest of my life. When I first started prepping, I thought about power outages but then I thought about, "What if the power doesn't go out but my light bulbs burn out" what then. That's when I loaded up on bulbs because me and my MAG might need them. What about LED's? Yep, got a bunch of them also. Recently, I thought about, "What if I need light but only have a low power source". So I loaded up on a bunch of those 7 watt night light bulbs. If I plug a night light into every socket in the house I won't be stumbling around in the dark or walking around holding a candle.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #1028 on: September 24, 2023, 02:05:56 AM »
Went to the brushbeater store and bought a AR152 radio w gooseneck antenna and Guerilla guide to baofeng radio book.

Bought an ITS tactical land nav kit to get out there and frolic in the woods with.

Both issues of the light fighter manifesto that have been reissued

Completed my motorcycle class to get the license upgrade

And been going to the gym. Not consistently but still going 💪

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #1029 on: September 24, 2023, 12:14:32 PM »
Good going Deathstyle!  :fuckYeah:

My gym is still processing firewood for this year. Oct-Feb done! Now this coming week, I will do Mar & Apr. Then bow season opens. I have my eye on a big ass fat doe that I caught in my garden a few times.

Over the winter, I use venison instead of veal in some of my Italian & French recipes like Bolognese sauce or  blanquette de veau.

So we are stocked up on pork, beef, chicken, and soon to be venison.   
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #1030 on: September 24, 2023, 02:03:27 PM »
Gonna close up the garden this week. Pull taters, cabbage, carrots, onions, cauliflower, and send 12 old laying chickens to the great stew pot for a little while before they get canned and shelved  ;D

Also gonna plant next years garlic
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #1031 on: September 24, 2023, 08:07:27 PM »
   Picked a bunch of peppers and made some Louisiana style hot sauce, enough for the coming year.  There are enough peppers in the garden for another picking in a couple of weeks.  I'll probably dehydrate the next batch.

Getting ready for a strenuous 4+ mile hike tomorrow.

I'll probably start getting ready for winter next weekend, temperatures are still in the 70's here, though it's getting cool during the night.

This week, we'll be visiting a local apple orchard to obtain enough apples to dehydrate for the coming year.  We still have one bag left from last year's crop.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #1032 on: September 30, 2023, 10:31:42 AM »
UPS lost my package from Brushbeater store and delivered elsewhere. Just filed a claim. Let?s see how both parties handle this debacle.  :facepalm:

Also someone in my neighborhood now has my address and that I ordered such specific items has definitely put me on the radar with strangers. They know where I am but I don?t know who they are.  :bravo:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:33:37 AM by Deathstyle »

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #1033 on: September 30, 2023, 11:00:25 AM »
Improve outer defense works or move.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline grizz

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Lets Go Brandon
« Reply #1034 on: September 30, 2023, 12:57:06 PM »
As I was processing garlic and onions I had a thought that they would make great trade items and and in an EOTW scenario simple things would be desired although not necessarily needed

BTW, by "processing" I mean dehydrating and making into powder for long term storage and use
.:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.
[IMG]http://vpnavy01.c

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #1035 on: September 30, 2023, 01:25:28 PM »
    Went for a quick hike this morning.  I'm dehydrating apples this afternoon. 

Offline Felix

• Committed prepper
  • Hunter, grower, brewer, distiller.
« Reply #1036 on: September 30, 2023, 01:50:09 PM »
Bad business with the "lost" "specialty item", Deathstyle.  Sorry to his has happened to you. Please do let us know how this shakes out.

For my part, I am going to cash in a Krugerand next week, turning it into a "useful" item ordered/paid-for with _cash_ and physically picked up by me.    I don't even think they have to know my name.    Nobody needs to have records or know capabilities, not the bank, not dot.gov, not the neighbors, not nobody.   Right?   The exercise will involve a total of 7+/- hours driving with commensurate fuel bill - opsec coming with a price tag.
At this point, paranoids are the only ones truly up to  speed on some areas.

Today, continuing garden harvest.   All of the squashes/pumpkins are in the "cellar", most of the beets are in and already canned or will be today.   Rhubarb picked and going into jam with strawberries.   Tomatoes stopped in their tracks by early frost slated for  Ball recipe of "Green Tomato-Hot Pepper Pickles.   Oh... and I have over 8 pounds of cukes sliced and brining overnight for to make Dill Pickles tomorrow (with garlic and dill also from garden).
Seems like "Prepping" or "Homesteading" involves a wee bit of work.   But "depending", I believe/know the rewards are there.   Either bigly or very, very hugely.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #1037 on: September 30, 2023, 03:16:47 PM »
Deathstyle, OMG! Sorry to read that but not surprised. UPS has become woke about anything having to do with firearms. That is why MidwayUSA and my NY FFL friend stopped using UPS.

Jackalope...Nice.

Felix...You rock!
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #1038 on: September 30, 2023, 10:04:26 PM »
So I filed a claim and a complaint. Slept since just got off Night Shift and working another tonight. Woke up to find all delivery info ?erased? and new ETA established. Headed off to work and found a pretty beat up box w a brushbeater address.

So I don?t know if they told driver to go retrieve package he lost or lose his job or what but I got my package and all items ordered intact.  :dancingBanana:

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #1039 on: September 30, 2023, 10:28:53 PM »
I love a happy ending!

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #1040 on: October 01, 2023, 12:18:19 PM »
Great Deathstyle  :thumbsUp: :cheers:

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #1041 on: October 19, 2023, 06:46:43 AM »
Reorganization & Planning!  The clutter is getting ridiculous.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #1042 on: October 19, 2023, 08:44:16 AM »
TN,  :lmfao: :cheers:

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #1043 on: October 21, 2023, 05:17:05 AM »
Acquired a new to me STOMP medical pack. Looks brand new although medical inserts pouches are missing. Medical is my primary survival skill for the troubles ahead and excited to turn this into a well stocked hospital bag

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #1044 on: October 21, 2023, 09:34:18 AM »
@ Deathstyle...AWESOME!  :cheers:

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
« Reply #1045 on: October 21, 2023, 04:09:13 PM »
Ordered a couple of holsters off of Dvor.com.  If you haven't checked that site out, you can get some good deals there from time to time.

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #1046 on: October 23, 2023, 01:36:34 PM »
Update:
The Clutter is clearing. I didn't trip once yesterday.
It's amazing how visible and attainable things are when they're separated and organized  :dance:

I've decided to make Vacuum packed Food Kits for folks down on their luck; free food offerings have never gone unappreciated. I thought rice, canned chicken, canned corn, and canned pees would be a good, easy to put together meal. I think more and more people are gonna need kits like this.

"Whoever cares for the poor lends to the Lord, who will pay back the sum in full" (Prov. 19:17).

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #1047 on: October 23, 2023, 03:05:25 PM »
Amen to that TN.

I use to make an emergency meal that contained,

1 C rice,
1 Tsp chicken or beef broth
1/4 C Chopped up beef jerkey,
1/4 C freeze dried Broccoli or carrots.

This was put into a vacuum bag and vacuum sealed. 

To make,

Boil 3 C water and add contents. Simmer covered for about 25-minutes. Stir half way through cooking time.

This is about 90 carbs and 600 calories.

Adjust measurements accordingly to desired size, carbs & calories.

An active grown male needs about 250 carbs a day to maintain current weight level. A women about 180 carbs.

Just in case you were wondering, there is about 12 C of rice in a 5 lb. bag. 12 C = about 4-days worth if you eat 3 times a day using the above recipe.

Sorry, if you ask me what time it is, I will tell you how to make a clock.  :dancingBanana:

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #1048 on: October 23, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »
Sorry, if you ask me what time it is, I will tell you how to make a clock.  :dancingBanana:

And you do it so dayum well.

Nemo   :baconDance:
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
« Reply #1049 on: October 25, 2023, 06:56:19 AM »
JohnyMac

Good recipe, I'll copy and paste.

And thanks for the heads-up, my sun dial broke so I may take you up on that  :cheers: