Author Topic: So I'm thinking of getting a Deuce and a Half..  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
So I'm thinking of getting a Deuce and a Half..
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
Hello preppers. I've been looking into and researching about Deuce and a Half military transport trucks. They have multi fuel engines that will reportedly run on any oil based fuel. My question is, does anyone know any good places to get lots of oil based fuel for cheap or free? I'm thinking used motor oil, vegetable oil waste, etc.

I'm no car person. But the Deuce and a Half seems like a simple machine.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: So I'm thinking of getting a Deuce and a Half..
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
You could try those oil changes places and see what they do with their waste oil. Same with any mechanics.

1000meterstare

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »
Biodiesel, baby!!!  You can make that shiznit at home, and I can teach you.  PM me if you are interested.  BTW - I loved my deuce in the army.  Reliable as hell, no matter what the conditions. :thumbsUp:

1000meterstare

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
Don't use raw waste oil-change oil unless you have a lifetime supply of filters... :facepalm:

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »
Yes I am interested. Why not share with the community? I'm more interested in knowing can you make biodiesel in shtf with supply lines cut off.

Like I said I am no mechanic. Would using reusable oil filters work?

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:27 PM »
1K: I wasn't suggesting that one just dump raw waste oil into a fuel tank. There are ways to filter it before use, that is all.

Colombo

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »
You didn't hear this from me but.....

On the off chance you come across any abandoned power transformers there's up to 15 gallons of clean mineral oil in the residential sized ones >:D  (not counting the possible very nasty PCB content in older models)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_transformer

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:11 AM »
Well damn that just made my day. A ready supply of fuel almost anywhere there is a road. Thanks forthe intel guys. Thoughts are free.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »
There is no quick oil change shop that will give you drained / used oil for free.

The shops in the north use their used oil for heating oil in the fall/winter/spring. The rest of the time they sell the oil for $1.25 - $1.50 a gallon. This generates an additional $1,500- revenue per shop a month.

Lets see....The average quick lube place does 30 cars a day at 5 qts of oil per day or 150 qts (38 gallons). 38 gallons x 30 days = 1,125 gallons a month x $1.35 = $1,519- a month.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

1000meterstare

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »
Biodiesel ingredients:

- Waste vegetable oil 4% ffa (free fatty acid)or under (synthetic or mineral oils won't work, neither will petro oils)
 - 20% methanol by weight, not volume
 - around 1.5% by weight 30% sodium methylate solution (more may be required for a higher ffa oil)

Heat oil by itself to 135 degrees farenheit while mixing.  Put in your methox (the other two ingredients combined) while mixing.  Keep mixing for 15 minutes and maintain heat between 130 to 140.  Turn off mixing and heat, let glycerol settle to the bottom.  (There is no way to speed up the settling process.  Gravity and time, baby!)  After 24 hours, get some biodiesel off the top and put 20 parts methanol to 1 part biodiesel to test it.  If no raw oil bubbles settles to the bottom you have a complete reaction.  If not, "bump" the batch with a little more methox after heating.  Drain glycerol thoroughly.  Strain biodiesel thru a 50 micron mesh.  You are done.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
There is no quick oil change shop that will give you drained / used oil for free.

The shops in the north use their used oil for heating oil in the fall/winter/spring. The rest of the time they sell the oil for $1.25 - $1.50 a gallon. This generates an additional $1,500- revenue per shop a month.

Lets see....The average quick lube place does 30 cars a day at 5 qts of oil per day or 150 qts (38 gallons). 38 gallons x 30 days = 1,125 gallons a month x $1.35 = $1,519- a month.

I like the north less and less by the minute, bunch of pocket gouging yankees!  All our buddies with auto shops have to pay to have the used oil hauled off-- I'm sure they'd be happy to have someone take it for free (although that may be illegal?).  That said, 1k's post should be a better route, just get your vegetable oil from the fast food restaurants you like, cause your deuce is gonna smell like french fries :thumbsUp:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »
The local fish & chips drive-in Evelyns, has a VW Bug that runs on deep fry oil. Check it out...
http://www.evelynsdrivein.com/Welcome.html

BTW, Evelyns, IMO has the best fish & chips I have ever had! My wife likes their smoked fish chowda with claim cakes.

Sorry I digress. 

There are plenty of companies thatGirl that will buy used "gas propelled", engine oil. Maybe start up a business collecting that used oil for free in NM.

What the companies do here who buy used oil - They run it through filters and add a few ingredients and sell it back to the quick lube places as reprocessed car oil. That is why I always specify what Oil I want in my truck. Think about it...The oil that would have been burned off is recycled and used again.   :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.