Author Topic: Night time prepping?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: Night time prepping?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
That is amazing TG! Reminds me of the scene in one of the Predator movies where they hunting for the alien in a freezer facility.

cornkiller1

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Been busy for the past couple days. I've really taken into consideration of putting up IR flood lights around my house. It's as simple putting an IR filter over the lights. I already have some IR light coming from my Security Camera system. I have 8 cameras all NV compatible that emit their own IR Light.

For my Bug out Vehicle I'm planning on installing some IR Lights so I can drive in complete darkness and the normal sheep couldn't see me coming.   

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »

For my Bug out Vehicle I'm planning on installing some IR Lights so I can drive in complete darkness and the normal sheep couldn't see me coming.   

That's what I am talking about!

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »
Hey guys, I was looking for cheap NV equipment, and when I say cheap I truly mean cheap, I'm talking under 200 bucks, and I found the Bushnell Nightwatch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-NightWatch-2-0x-Night-Vision-Monocular-260224-/310529166657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484cfb0d41

It would be nice to use it with the awesome idea ThatGuy suggested of planting IR illuminators in your property, you can buy security camera illuminators on dx.com really cheap, around 4 bucks each.

But in a review I read that the bushnell's IR Led is visible to the human eye, and that it looks like a red led, do you know why is that?
At which distance do you think someone would notice the red led? And finally, has any of you seen one of those monoculars before?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
Dana Carvey - George Bush

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
I went looking for a "poorman's" NV solution last year and found that most Gen1 monoculars were very poor, almost unusable without a 1/2-full moon.

I was trying out a Gen1 Yukon against a PVS14 to see the separation between the two and if some NV was better then none.  Most will tell you that it's Gen2+ - Gen3 or nothing.

I disagree.

There is no doubt that the PVS14 is very nice and auto-gating is the way to go, but $3000+ is a steep price tag unless you have tons of money and all your preps are set already.

The Gen1 monoculars I tried were barely better than adjusted eyes and without an IR source, worthless unless there is 3/4-full moon out.

I ended up going with a NV scope that had gotten good reviews online (the Yukon NVRS Tactical 2.5 x 50 Generation 1 Night Vision Riflescope) and am pleased with it.  The ability to focus is HUGE on a scope and most Gen1 models do not allow this, or do not do so as easily as this model.  It gathers light well and the IR is a good beam.

Wanting something I could wear on a helmet, I saw the Armasight SPARK monocular come out and the initial video from it looked like Gen2 (which it has specs for even though it's Gen1) and so I purchased it and a helmet setup, only to learn that without an IR laser using it to shoot while mounted to a helmet is NOT going to happen.

The SPARK is a great unit for the price though and at 1/2 the cost of a low end Gen2 monocular, it fits the prepper's niche well.  You can't go wrong buying top shelf in NV, but do you really need it?

In my case I've settled on the SPARK and will be using it passively ONLY while taking listening breaks or while in an OP. 

The use of an IR source is the equivalent of using white light and with NV so cheap these days, I expect more than myself to have it.  I think one is better served using natural adjusted eyes for movement at night 90% of the time and just as I would not allow WL ad's while patrolling, it is a big risk to think that an IR ad is somehow acceptable. 

The odds are on your side until they are not!

I've made a few videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/dvcprepper1) that don't really do the two devices justice, but give a good comparison between the two.  The 1x SPARK is sharper and brighter by 30% if I had to guess.  The scope on a suppressed 300 Whisper is one bad ass OP rifle though. :)

---
"Do nothing which is of no use."  - Miyamoto Musashi
Gal 5:19-21 -God

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
DVC,
is the scope you described used as a magnifier for your holographic sight or independent of it? Heck you may not even have a holographic sight  :)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Well-Prepared Witch

• Committed prepper
    • The Well-Prepared Witch
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »
Just out of curiosity, aside from night vision gear (which is awesome, of course, and I'm pretty sure Mr. WPW has a pair around here somewhere - he loves those kinds of gizmos), what can be done for night time prepping?  I mean, I have 9.5 acres and despite what some of the ever-so-stable folks on Doomsday Preppers say they're going to do, I'm not booby-trapping the whole area to stop intruders. 

My ideas:
Dog(s) - the right one will make lots of noise.  I'm thinking of a livestock guardian dog like a Great Pyrenees for our flock when we get the alpacas
Fences - not that they will deter people or animals who really WANT to get into your area, but they are a clear visual marking so no one accidentally trespasses (and then gets accidentally shot when they freak me the heck out!)
Trip wires - not the kind that do major damage, but the kind that make noise - someone trips it and a slew of tin cans comes showering down with a clank

What are your thoughts?
If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you shall never find it without.  - Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente
http://wellpreparedwitch.com

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »
Fences and dogs are a must.
You can install some flood lights in the perimeter, so if your dogs get crazy at night you'll be able to see from the inside of your home.

Just remember that if you have dogs, dogs will trigger the trip wires.

Doomsday Preppers is more stupid everyday, it only shows nut cases, I'm not seeing anything useful in it lately.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
I do not have a dog and I am too looking for the right one. I do have two catz. One is a true hunter and isn't afraid of 'jack' including brothers Dachshund, Molsen Lite. That ended the first time they met with a heft swat from Max to Molsen's shnozola. The other one is scared of her shadow.  ;D

Wellie your dog does not need to be big to be a good alarm. Moslen lets us know if ANYTHING comes within 75-100 yards of the cabin. He is also a router and kills his share of mice around the cabin while outside. He doesn't eat much however is a bit family possessive. He will bite strangers if we don't intro the stranger to him. Never really roams past that 75-100 yard radius I previously mentioned.

On another note check out this video:
12 Gauge Booby Trap Trip Wire Alarm Review

Just remember to put the trip wire at 5' or so rather than 8-12" above the ground. Otherwise deer will trip it. You can buy flares at West Marine or any marine chandler.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I think having a dog(s) is a great step for perimeter alarm options.

I'm also a fan of arranging your property to funnel potential 'visitors' to an area that can be covered visually and potentially with overlapping fields of fire. JM mentioned stone walls and having an abundance of stones around this property in another post. Try to use what the land has available to build-up your defensive perimeter. Sure it's not foolproof, but every little bit helps.

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »
Stone walls and raised planting beds can be used as cover/concealment, you should be careful with its placement.

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 01:25:17 AM »
DVC,
is the scope you described used as a magnifier for your holographic sight or independent of it? Heck you may not even have a holographic sight  :)

Sorry, didn't see this.  The scope has a lit reticle in it and is a stand alone.
---

Offline USMC0331

• Prepper
  • fka. "DVCPrepper"
    • MRPC
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:22 AM »
What are your thoughts?

For noise makers that have a great range, I'm finding that the 3 Guinea Hens we got this year will do the trick.  The female is constantly making noise during the day though and sounds much worse then the males.  Get only males if you want to keep your sanity.

---

Offline Currahee

• Senior Prepper
  • "Stands Alone"
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
I would trully love to have a GEN3, but in leu of a unknown rich uncle passing it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

I have a GEN1 monocular but it is barely better than the naked eye without going active- and going active is next to suicide.  I assume everyone has a set of GEN1- and that makes your IR searchlight a beacon, as TG describes.  The only reason I keep the GEN1 in my field kit is to know if someone is looking for me with a IR light and that it is able to spot people with poor light discipline at a much further range.... scouting and AO from a hide sight or the like.

Having GEN1 and IR search lights is not a bad idea for that very specific situation.
Every citizen should be a soldier.  This was the case for the Greeks and Romans ans must be that of every free state. - T Jefferson