Author Topic: Need 22 Rimfire  (Read 425 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Need 22 Rimfire
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Re: Need 22 Rimfire
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »
    No, thanks.  I'm not a big fan of Thunderbolts.  As some of the reviewers mention, it does shoot dirty. I've found that plated .22 shoots much better.  I guess Thunderbolts would be okay in a revolver.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
I stocked up on 22 rimfire way back when I started prepping. I have some lead round nose but I prefer my copper coated hollow points. For some reason, they feed better and don't foul the bore. My bolt action doesn't care what I feed it though. It'll eat anything. I love my carbine but if I had to go out for a month with only one gun, it would be my 22 Bolt action and 300 rounds. Can you imagine trying to lug around 300 rounds of large bullets and a heavy rifle.

Offline CJS06

• Committed prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »
.22LR Semi Autos are some of the most ammo sensitive guns. This is about the ammo, not the guns. Thunderbolt is fine in bolt guns and revolvers. It is very dirty and the soft lead bullets are notorious for fouling semi autos. That could be a good deal, or it could be a bad move depending on how you plan on using it.

Chris

Offline DMCakhunter

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
I have found this Federal to be good quality and at $.034 per round a good deal for high volume.
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rimfire-ammunition/22-lr-ammo

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
I like those Federals.  Wife's dad and I went to a Gander Mountain a few weeks after its grand opening and a few weeks before Sandy Hook. 

They had a bunch of pallets of that in a main aisle selling about $15 a box of 525 rounds.  He has how many we needed, I suggested 1 or 2 at most.  He said nah, get more, I said how many, he said 20.  His retirement was well planned and he has a few $$ to spare so what could I say.  Besides he was spending his money so how could I say no?

I already had couple pair of them anyway.  So I need none much.  But have got a few more since then.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.