Author Topic: I want to paint my Rifle.  (Read 4841 times)

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
Re: I want to paint my Rifle.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »
Thanks for filling in Outonowhere and good call on skipping the sandpaper.

While I haven't painted a firearm I have painted shit tons of metal that I've restored or made myself and you don't need to scuff sand unless you've got a rust issue.

If you have a rust issue all you really need to do is get the flaky stuff off and use a "rust kill" primer.

Now where did I leave that paint...

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:32 AM »
outonowhere. Mind posting a picture or two of your work?
LOL You would ask that!

I probably have some pics still floating around here somewhere, if not MAYBE on an old disk laying around.  I went through a couple different camo patterns on my AK, but that got sold a while ago.  I have not painted my AR yet but Im itching too lol.  Now, if I cannot find any pics on my computer I do have a couple items that are still painted that I can get snaps of sometime tomorrow.  So eventually, yes I will share with the class lol.

Also as to the question of heat from say the barrel that I have seen before on the other forum...

I took my AK out in about 105 degree heat and let it set on a metal bench, then sent at least a few hundred rounds through it in rapid succession and NEVER had an issue with flaking or fading.  The only place you will see heavy wear of the paint is where it gets rubbed alot, like the AK receiver where the safety latch rubs.

If I think of anything else or if someone has any other questions just hit me up!
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

cornkiller1

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:25 AM »
I for sure don't have a rust problem. Alright I'll skip the roughing. What did you do with the safety selector switch? I can't wait to see the pics.

First I'm going to lay a few coats of sand Tan over the black. Then coat the whole rifle in a deep forest green. Find some brush, pine and some other local brush.  Spray on some brown streaks. then tan. Once it's all dry dust it with some black to give it a shadow effect.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
Couldn't you practice on a board or something? Then you could get an idea of what it will look like. You might want to change something, and if not, it will give you a little confidence when doing the gun. I'm thinking about doing my SKS.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
Great idea hj! Or even maybe a 2" piece of PVC or conduit pipe.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
Great idea hj! Or even maybe a 2" piece of PVC or conduit pipe.

There you go, now we're stinkin...............uh, thinkin.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
Ok Corn, what you're gonna wanna do is pick up a nice low mile Chevy van and practice on that. You see it's got all the same shapes as an ak. ;)

but really not a bad idea to practice it on a piece card board or something.

cornkiller1

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 03:26:51 PM »
I'm going to practice on some magazines first. With designs. I really wanted to paint today.. It's raining though.. Now i need another day over 50 degrees...

cornkiller1

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
okay, Tried painting a magazine.. Complete fail. Well. The camo design failed But I really didn't give it my all All the foliage and branches were soaking wet and I tried to free lance camo pattern.. NO-GO.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
anything you fuck up on you can take all the paint right off with carb cleaner fyi
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Painting when its over fifty is total horse shit.  I painted when it was colder than witch tits out and did not have any real problems.  Just make sure you are in a dry place lol.  Also, getting a bunch of cardboard and practicing is a damn great idea!

On the camo pattern, just stick your foliage in the house in a warm dry place for a little bit.  Maybe even turn the oven real low and leave the door open to help dry it out.

Also I tend to do my mags multiples at a time.  Just be sure to leave a couple inches of space between each one so that you can get some color on the front and back too.  Or you can do the bottoms, then stand them up once they are dry to do the sides. 

Also, not sure on the whole "curing" part.  Can says 15 minutes till its dry enough to handle and only wait a couple minutes between coats.  So I usually just went after it till it all looked pretty good to me.  Perhaps I will try the curing part this time when I get after my AR.
"A GREAT CONTRADICTION IS THE BELIEF IN STATES RIGHTS WHILE NOT SUPPORTING THE RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL."  - Me
Han shot first!

cornkiller1

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
I just said fuck it!! Painted a base coat of tan, then just dusted the whole thing with green, brown and black. lol. No foliage.  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Looks eh but I'm probably just gonna have to re do it.

cornkiller1

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:42 PM »
It sure does break up the black real well. haha thoughts?

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
Not bad man.  I would say:

1. Make sure you break up the bottom a bit, looks like the green kinda stops halfway down.

2. Use dark brown to do a real light dusting in a few places.

Just my suggestions but YMMV.  Its your rifle, you gotta be happy with it!
Han shot first!

cornkiller1

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Thanks for the input! I was dusting it with some brown but it didn't seem like it was doing anything. i'll try square it away 2moro with some more green and brown. supppppper light coat of black for shadow.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
if your gonna add black hold the can 5 feet from the fucking gun, black always fucks camo jobs
Bursting bubbles since 2013

cornkiller1

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »
i might not use it now.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:11 PM »
It sure does break up the black real well. haha thoughts?

That rug really ties the room together! I expected it to be Flecktarn...

cornkiller1

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 11:09:42 PM »
yeah me too actually. I feel I failed it but honestly. When i look at the gun.. It doesn't look like a gun anymore. So mission accomplished?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:30 PM »
Yeah man, you nailed it. It really softened the lines and will break that black target indicator outline for sure.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 04:17:26 AM »
Gonna do a multicam style pattern in MARPAT colors for my rifle, and maybe hit a little black dusting for effect.  Gonna pick up the paint tomorrow and do a couple of samples on some cardboard sheets I got laying around first.  I will try to get pics of them as well.  Hell, if I had a cameraman I might get video!  But fat chance with that.  I might still try to get some video in for you though.

Also check this shit out! Krylon got da hook up on their page!

http://www.krylon.com/pdf/CamouflageStencils.pdf

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/
Han shot first!

cornkiller1

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
attempted to fix it.

cornkiller1

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
next to the family.

Offline Outonowhere

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
LMAO... There is always one in every family  :P

That looks pretty good.  I am gonna try a new method I read about last night and use sponges for some of the application.  I plan on doing the samples tonight and will try to get some pics if not some video too.

Also, spend a couple hours today driving around MFin town trying to find sand color Krylon.  Low and behold the last place I look, shoulda been the first.  ACE Hardware had the LARGEST selection of rattle cans of any store I have been in yet, and they had the elusive light woodland green and sand colors.  So here is what I am thinking...

Primer/Base: TAN, to make the other colors pop right and not have to fight the black of the rifle.
Main Base: Sand and Light Woodland.  Some tan will be allowed to show through but not much, similar to MC
Next layer: a lot of splotches of OD Green
Next layer: Very few splotches of Brown, again similar to MC (MultiCam)
*Possible layer of Black dusting if I think it will improve the appearance
Final layer: Krylon Matte Clear Coat (as protectant/preserver) (I searched for a flat Clear coat but was unable to find any.  I may try the Chinamart on my way home since that was the place I found the last one.)
Han shot first!

cornkiller1

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
Paint Your Gun - DESERT!!! - Rex Reviews.wmv

This guys uses a Sponge and it looks pretty beast. Check it out.

I should of got Krylon.. But I used rustoleum, Whats the difference? Krylon better?

Honestly Sounds like youre doing the same thing I did.. Just in a different way. I just painted randomly. I'm sure yours will turn out great.