Author Topic: I don't want you to panic...  (Read 1384 times)

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
I don't want you to panic...
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
..but panic.

If, you've needed another rifle but have been puting it off, don't.
If you've been meaning to stock it up on ammo but haven't, do so.

I was on the phone all morning with my distributors getting the sales numbers. Not to mention I was up until 4am
shopping online with my distributors. I could see "X brand" 1000 units on hand, and only 6 hours later I was buying the last one.
all were reporting several thousand sales of AR15s alone between last night and this morning.

The local shops in my are are putting everything from what was once a good deal, to right at MSRP.
We haven't seen the spike in pricing just yet, but we WILL.

Some of you aren't even old enough to have seen or been able to purchase last election, nor feel the
effects of the "ammo/magazine/parts/gun" shortage. It took the industry years to recover.

Take if for what it's worth. You'll see in the months to come. As of today, you'll see a change coming.
Follow me on Instagram - technique408

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
Re: I don't want you to panic...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »
Let the gouging begin.....  [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »

Dude, I was just shopping online for ammo- There were 30 units of 1000rnds of 9mm, so 30,000rnds.
I added 1000 to my cart and didn't make it through checkout fast enough. By the time it went to process,
that particular brand of ammo was sold out... 30,000 sold out and gone.

I had to grab another brand for $30 more ???

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

Dude, I was just shopping online for ammo- There were 30 units of 1000rnds of 9mm, so 30,000rnds.
I added 1000 to my cart and didn't make it through checkout fast enough. By the time it went to process,
that particular brand of ammo was sold out... 30,000 sold out and gone.

I had to grab another brand for $30 more ???

I have no doubt there is panic buying and so the gouging will come also.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
What's the use? They will just be taken away from you. Save your money.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Technique  [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

This is a good time to start rolling your own if you haven't started.

If you do roll your own, start buying brass, primers, powder and bullets. Even if you do not use it right away, you will have it on hand if ammo does dry up. 

For your .30 caliber or above loads, its a good time to buy molds so you can pour your own bullets. I get 100% of my lead for modern cartridges from wheel weights. The hardness seems to be pretty close to what is needed. If you do this, don't forget to buy gas checks for the base of the molded bullet. Not mandatory; however it will help to control leading in your barrel.

I did buy a .223 mold; however I have not worked up a load for my AR yet. 

I get most of my supplies from Widener's. TG has a great distributor that had similar prices as Widener's. I forget the name of the company though. If you read this TG would you share the company with the group. 

I have an outstanding order for 8# of IMR 3031 - When they get it in they email me. Been waiting for their next shipment for 2 months now. The last 8# I bought was around $145-. They will also combine orders so you only have to pay for one HAZMAT fee.

Good luck and don't delay!

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
Not meaning to get off topic here, but JM, do you get your wheel weights from a tire store? I've been meaning to go ask my local tire shop if they have scrap lead. How much do you pay for yours?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
Most tire shops will give you the used weights for free. Just ask.

Pat's Reloading Supply

First Class Bullets and Brass

These are both fantastic shops to deal with if you are in the market for components.

1000meterstare

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:57:07 PM »
Ecuador is looking good this time of year; I guess I can get used to the .38 Super. [img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/at

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »

Pat's Reloading Supply

These are both fantastic shops to deal with if you are in the market for components.

Is there a prep process before one melts down wheel weights? Or just take steel tab part off, clean them up, melt them down?

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
bought a case of pmc 5.56 for $300 yesterday  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I think I'm going to cast some .30cal. Sounds fun.

I bought 9mm, 45ACP, and 5.45x39 yesterday. I realized that because I own a SCAR heavy, I have more .308/7.62x51 than
the average bear. [URL=http://www.smileyvault.co

I looked through all my brass and decided that I would load 5.56 instead of buying it. I also will use some of that brass to
form and load .300 Blackout. So- I'm off to get powder and primers!!!

I bought a .22 conversion kit for my ARs so I guess I should stock up on .22 too.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »

Pat's Reloading Supply

Is there a prep process before one melts down wheel weights? Or just take steel tab part off, clean them up, melt them down?

I just melt it and pull the steel out once it is melted. If you wanted to be clever you could stir the pot with a carbon rod. Impurities will stick to it, I pull the scum off with a spoon.

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
So, how about dies? Do cast boolits act differently in dies when being seated? Do they leave build up?
I'm ordering a Lee Mold, ( http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c309-200-r.html ) what else do I need to cast?

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
I can't speak from experience with boolits here Tech but I have heard that the fouling is something terrible and a high twist rate makes it worse. You know how cheap people are if they could get way with cast lead 5.56 they would have.

I forget who makes it but someone is making a tool that turns a .22 case into a brass coat for a boolit... you can cast your lead into wire molds and make the core that-a-way.

Offline mountainredneck2051

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
lead bullets leave lead up in your gun that will drive you fucking nuts if you try to clean it out
especially anything with some speed or twist on it

Bursting bubbles since 2013

Offline Grudgie

• Committed prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »
This is not from personal experience but something that I 'heard' was that a shot from a zinc bullet clears out lead fouling.

Post 1982 pennies are made of mostly zinc and has a similar melting point to lead. If you can't find lead to cast bullets you can resort to melting down pennies. Opions on the internet go both ways about zinc bullets.

People cast higher velocity bullets with a lead-tin-antimony alloy. Not sure if it would work for rifles. I just want to cast for my .45, .40, and .44.

Offline technique

• Death-Merchant
  • Senior Prepper
    • Paleo Prepper
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
Well, I'm casting 200gr. that I plan on sending at less than 1100FPS...that's the plan anyway

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
I am a Lyman mold guy. For kicks and giggles I just tore through my mold box to get the Lyman molds I use. I HAVE NOT MOLDED ANY .223 YET. This is what I use for each caliber

Description                                                        Lyman Mold
.357gr 38 spl mold                                             358311
201gr 35 Rem. mold                                            358315
.452 200 Gr SWC mold                                        452460
121 gr 9mm mold                                                356242
170gr 30-30, 300 Sav, 308 & 30/06 mold           311291
180gr 308 mold                                                  311467
180 gr 30-30, .300 Sav. 308 win & 30/06 Mold   311314
58gr .223 Mold                                                    225646

Like TG mentioned earlier: I just pull the steel rim clasp from the melting pot after the wheel weights are melted with needle nose pliers. I bought a old Lodge cast iron pan to melt the wheel wights in. I learned from experience...Do this outside as it may piss off the misses if you don't. I throw in a piece of bees wax into the molten lead just before I skim off the scum. When done, I pour the finished product into small ingot molds. Later I melt the ingots in a bottom draw Layman stove/Furnace.

Now for you black powder guys and gals, I use only pure lead. I buy this from a local wholesale plumbing supply house. I buy 15# ingots and cut them into quarters with an axe and sledge hammer. Then right into the furnace.

When I cast bullets I make it a one day job and cast enough for all calibers for one year as I hate doing it.

Last, I get my wheel weights from two sources:

1) The garage that works on my wife and my vehicles. It costs me a couple of cups of coffee and donuts
2) Motor cycle shops I use to manage. That unfortunately has dried up as of last month.

I hope this helps. 

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:11:27 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »
JM, what is the purpose of beeswax in the molten lead?

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
Crudos,

What the wax does is it helps the 'slag' to rise to the top of the molten lead to be scraped off. You can use a chunk of paraffin or candle wax; it doesn't have to be bees wax. I just use bees wax as I have allot on hand.

Be careful when you throw the wax into the molten lead as it will ignite. If it doesn't my Lyman book suggests taking a match and igniting the fumes. I have never had to do that though  :)

Slag = impurities

On another note: I weigh each bullet after being cast because their might be air voids. Then I put them into three categories. The categories are:

1) Average weight,
2) Two grains under average, and
3) Two grains over average.

This process results in 25 - 50% of the bullets or balls going back into a labeled bag for the next time I cast.

My brother tells me I am a bit anal concerning the weights of the bullets and balls I cast  ;) you can see why I cast a 'shit-ton' of all calibers at one time.

Once I am done for the day, I spray the molds used with WD40 and put them into a relatively 'air tight' ammo can.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 09:13:05 AM »
Would adding a peice of tin or some harder metal help the bullets remain in form after being fired? I know the shotgun guys do this when casting Buckshot and slugs.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 12:18:13 PM »
Ken,
sorry but I do not have my Lyman reloading manual with me. I did a quick search on their site though and this is what they recommend for #2 alloy which is used for bullets in modern guns traveling at lets say 2,000 FPS plus.

Q: What is the composition for #2 Alloy?
A: This is made up of 90% lead, 5% tin, and 5% antimony.

Q: How do I make #2 Alloy?
A: To make 10 pounds of #2 Alloy, use either of the following recipes: 9 pounds of wheelweights + 1 pound of 50/50 (lead/tin) bar solder or 4 pounds of Linotype +1 pound of 50/50 bar solder + 5 pounds pure lead

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/faqs/bullet-casting.php

Wrong or right; I just use the wheel weights and don't add anything else.  :))

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
so parts are going to be affected too? not just guns and ammo?

in that case im gona buy some lower parts kits, buffers, springs, tubes ect...and ammo