Author Topic: good undies?  (Read 905 times)

goodnightChesty1775

good undies?
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
anyone have a good pair of undies that they use for hiking/backpacking?

i know its a weird question but when you wear the same pair of cotton boxer briefs for 5+ days stuff can start to suck. and sometimes freeballing for an extended period of time is bad. (a buddy i have here lost a ball to afghanistan because he free balled, and didnt have all the resources to keep himself clean all the time.)

just something to think about.

and socks too!

i found these and i love them.
http://www.rangerjoes.com/Rocky-S2V-Hot-Weather-Socks-P5022.aspx

now granted they are 'hot weather' socks but unless its freezing i dont worry to much about putting on thicker socks. that being said i dont have a great pair of cold weather socks i can reccomend.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: good undies?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »
honestly I don't know about any "special" underwear but I'm a fan of the Hanes boxer-briefs. the ones with the "comfort" waistband. I don't know how they'd hold up to constant wear but they're pretty damn great when they're clean, lol.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
I am partial to boxer-briefs too. In the summer cotton trucks.

Socks in the summer cotton. In the winter socks that wick away sweat.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
im looking for some stuff along the lines of underarmor material. we got some issued to us for our RFI and there ok but they ripped on me and a bunch of other people.

Offline Kobalt

• Committed prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
I agree boxer briefs work best for me.
Fan out your shots. We want everyone to get some.

Offline swampfox

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
me personally when I'm out in the field i prefer the Franklin jockey boxer briefs (I found mine at wallmart in the baseball and sports section) because they are a blend of polyester and spandex so you don't have to worry about getting crotch rot from cotton that wont dry also they allow freedom of movement while providing that support when you have to hall ass out of the AO. but that is just me...personally i would look for something that has no cotton so you wont get monkey butt by lack of drying since cotton does not dry well in the field but wont rub you raw at the same time. hope that helps but definitely a big consideration that is extremal overlooked regarding WROL or other activities where a person is moving a lot and my not have the time or ability to shower and clean those areas where there is a lot of movement.

FOX

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »
I'm with Swampfox,

I've been using some sort of poly Starter boxer briefs.

I've got a buddy who swears by Ranger Panties, they dry quickly provide decent support and can double as shorts.

You want something synthetic but you want to avoid compression shorts because they chafe your boys.

For socks it's wool all year. Business class in the summer and heavy weight in the winter.

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
yeah im gona pick up a pair of underarmor PT spandex and use those see how i like them.

Offline special-k

• Peasant Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 01:35:14 AM »
Many years ago I bought a 3-pair pack of no-name-brand, heavy, high wool socks for $15 at a gun show...they ended up being the best wool socks I have ever owned...wish I could go back and buy every sock the vendor had on the table.  But after many years of use they are getting pretty 'holy.'  So I recently went shopping for wool socks......

Just got in an order of "Smartwool" socks from amazon (free shipping).  I bought an assortment ranging from from summer footies to winter extra-heavy cushion. The main reason I went with the Smartwool brand is that they offer the XL size I need, plus the reviews all say they have a good reputation for durability.

I was considering the "Red Head" brand wool socks from Bass Pro Shops, but decided against them after reading too many bad reviews...poor quality control on the sizing and falling apart at the seams after only a few uses.  Yeah, I know Smartwool costs twice as much as Red Head, but you get what you pay for.

@goodnightChesty1775
Stores like Target and Meijer now sell shorts made with a 4-way stretch material (Starter & Champion brands, I can't remember which brand came from which store)....the kind of material that could only be found in Underarmour a few years ago, and for half the cost of Underarmour.  Even though they are not sold as undershorts (they have a drawstring and pockets), I have been using them as undershorts.  Just imagine the texture of silk, but with a generous 4-way stretch.  I'll never go back to actual undershorts.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:12:41 AM by special-k »
"It wouldn't do any good.  I've had the shit beat out of me a lot of times.  I just replenish with more shit."  - Billy McBride

goodnightChesty1775

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
right on special k.

Offline thatGuy

• Kind Lover
  • Community Moderator
    • thatGuy's youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I got 4 pair of Soffes and have been wearing them as  underwear... pretty nice for 7$ a pair.