Author Topic: EMP and you  (Read 1671 times)

UnBroken

EMP and you
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
Okay Ladies and Gentlemen, UnBroken here and i need to ask a question just cause i know i  do not understand much of how to prevent or protect my self from EMP. if anyone have any information on it i would think that this would be a perfect place to share it.

i understand what and EMP is. i jus do not understand how to protect from it.

for anyone that does not know what an EMP here is a quick idea

Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) is an electromagnetic pulse generated without use of nuclear weapons. There are a number of devices that can achieve this objective, ranging from a large low-inductance capacitor bank discharged into a single-loop antenna or a microwave generator to an explosively pumped flux compression generator.

Thank you ahead of time for all your help.

Offline NOLA556

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: EMP and you
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
well I'm no expert either but the general consensus seems to be that metal ammo cans are supposed to do a pretty good job at shielding electronics from EMP... maybe keep a spare set of radios and whatever else is important to you in an ammo can?

as far as vehicles go, the only advice I've heard is get an extra chip or whatever the hell these new fangled vehicles use and keep that in a metal box as well.
Rome is burning, and Obama is playing the fiddle - GAP

UnBroken

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
ive heard that making a box out off copper chain link is about the only EMP proof box

CrookedSights

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
   The thing is there's not much definitive research done on EMP's and shielding. So much of what you read is just hear say and speculation. One thing I've heard is you need to wrap what ever you want shielded in foil and place it in a fully enclosed metal container with out the thing you're shielding touching the inside of the container. Some say to wrap the container with foil around the lid because if there's a seal like on an ammo can it's not properly shielded.

Offline southernprepper1

• Prepper Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
EMP is rated e1,e2 and e3.  E1 is a delibrete attack with the use of a nuclear weapon.  It could be by a conventional nuclear weapon that the by product of the explosion is a emp.  Or some countries are developing a weapon that the main purpose of the weapon is to create a much larger pulse.  So the primary purpose is the pulse.  North Korea is working on this kind of weapon.   This one E1 will fry most things unless its protected.  A e2 is basicly like a lighten bolt.  E3 is primary caused by a solar flare.  This type of emp needs a large surface area or at least 300 feet of material to couple with.  Like the power grid which has miles and miles and miles of line so coupling with this is no problem.  The voltage is very low per foot but when you add the length of electrical lines the voltage is HUGE.  This type will not hurt a vehicle because its small.  The size of the car.   To protect radios and small items the cheapest thing for us with the resources of large companies or the governement is to buy a galvanized trash can with a tigth lid and line the can with cardboard so your items dont touch the can.  Put your items inside the can and this offers alot of protection.  You can also nest a can inside a larger can and this will give you much more protection.  Most experts that work for the DOD say not to ground the can.  The wave length of the emp is similar but not exact like a FM radio channel so put a FM radio inside your Farady box and see if reception is stopped when you seal it in while its on and playing music.  Alot of the information that we would truly need to evaluate and protect ourselfs as civilians is classified so its truly hard to get answers.  Even the experts I have talked to dont really know because the tests to simulate emp might not be exactly like a real weapon detonating.  I could go on but I dont want to bore you to much.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
Welcome to the boards, SP1.

Good idea with the doubled up trash cans.  I have a few of those laying around.  I'm going to give that a try this weekend with my radio.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but my Kalashnikov will hurt you.

"Don't wish ill for your enemy, plan it."

Ghost

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »
SP1 is right on the money. Good job.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Anything inside a Faraday Cage will block out the EMP blast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

There are many websites out there explain how to create a successful Faraday Cage, just look it up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:56:20 AM by EJR914 »

UnBroken

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
is that copper mesh... i want to make afew of these things this weekend

southern patriot

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »
Galvanized 30 gallon trash cans is what i have heard for many years now.

Offline EJR914

• Hardcore Prepper
    • EJR914 Youtube Page
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
Galvanized 30 gallon trash cans is what i have heard for many years now.

I've heard that as well, although I haven't seen it actually proved yet... sounds plausible.