Author Topic: Buying "Stuff" on the Cheap  (Read 439 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Buying "Stuff" on the Cheap
« on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »
MrsMac and I went to our first livestock auction in our lives yesterday evening. I am a true believer and I will be returning again soon.

My neighbors up at the Cabin invited us to the local Tuesday night live stock auction. Well it really wasn't local as it was in the next county and about an hour drive on back roads.

We got there early as our neighbors wanted to sell some young bunnies which had to be registered before the auction began.

There was a whole host of things to bid on. Here is a partial list:

> Fire station water pump. The kind that the fire station uses to pump out your basement or suck water out of
   a stream or pond at a fire.
> Assorted household junk like lamps, tables, plates, etc
> 40# cartons of apples that looked like they were just picked
> Half a dozen boxes full of stale bread, donuts, bagels and such sold as chicken food
> A dozen food grade buckets
> About 12 dozen chicken eggs

Then the good stuff:

> All told about 3 dozen rabbits of all varieties. About half a dozen of which were big and I mean BIG, 20+
   pound doe and buck rabbits (When all said they went for $1- a pound)
> Chickens of all varieties mostly roosters though but a few hens
> A pheasant, a peacock, two Tom's, some ducks and a whole bunch of chicks. (Chicks went for about 75¢ ea)
> Two milk cows (Didn't stay long enough to see what they went for)
> A bull calf (Didn't stay long enough to see what they went for)
> A nanny goat and two kids (Didn't stay long enough to see what they went for)
> Two feeders (Starters) that may have weighed 70 pounds each or so. (They went for 40¢ a pound)

Well I was told that every Tuesday till the weather changes in the winter there is this auction. Depending on the time of the year there is always great deals. There will be a lot of bunnies, chicks, poults and such for the next few weeks. Then the vegetable seedling's will be coming in for auction. I was told that a lot of green houses buy their seedling's from auctions like this and then sell them to the gentry for 3X's the bidding price.

So the point of this post is to encourage you to find out where your nearest farm auction is. I was told that almost every county has one and to find one in your county, contact your local farm grange and they will tell you. 

Go and pick up some great deals!

PS: The best part was watching the people attending the auction  ;)
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Buying "Stuff" on the Cheap
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
When I was little, maybe 7 years old, my parents owned and ran a HUGE livestock auction(biggest one in CA). They had it for a year or two. All week wed be loading the pins with various livestock. Every Saturday was auction day. Thousands of chickens and rabbits and hundreds of Pigs, Goats, Steers, Cows, sheep, Lambs and horses etc... it was great fun. I got to open up the various pins and run them down to the front large pin to be auctioned off. Who'd think in San Diego a boy would have that in his childhood right? Good times..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:41:52 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
Hey man, that's great fun for a young 'un!  :thumbsUp:

Good deals right? 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »
Definitely, I dont recall prices but im sure they were good.
Simplicity Is Ideal...