Author Topic: Be Concerned  (Read 353 times)

Offline Nemo

• Hardcore Prepper
  • From My Cold Dead Hands
Be Concerned
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
Very Concerned.  Terminator not planned or designed or wanted but self develops anyone?

Nemo

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/29/coding-algorithms-frankenalgos-program-danger

Franken-algorithms: the deadly consequences of unpredictable code

.   .   .

“In some ways we’ve lost agency. When programs pass into code and code passes into algorithms and then algorithms start to create new algorithms, it gets farther and farther from human agency. Software is released into a code universe which no one can fully understand.”

.   .   .

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

God created Man, Col. Sam Colt made him equal, John Moses Browning turned equality to perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection into plastic fantastic junk.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Be Concerned
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »
i'm more concerned with emergent properties rather than nefarious or malevolent actors carbon or silicon.
-
a killer robot can be recognized by the smoking laser eyes and dead bodies littering the place.
emergent behaviour may not be recognized until its too late.
-
imagine an AI that wants to develop a lubricant for machines (high volume pumps here) to reduce maintenance.  It tries alpha-amanitin and finds its not hard to synthesize and will work in a liquid form.  it starts using it to lubricate lots of machines.  it isn't petroleum and is a naturally occurring chemical - its bio-degradable. so this meets its design criteria.  crank up the manufacturing line and start making pumps.
-
a few months later the entire country is in need of liver transplants and doesn't understand why they are getting ill. 
-
i know that i'm not doing this justice - but by their nature, black swans are hard to see coming.
we are using new technologies that can cause unintended consequences at the speed of the internet.

here is another example - you want to make a self replicating machine...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo