Author Topic: How to preserve Knowledge  (Read 543 times)

gadget99

How to preserve Knowledge
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »
Hi All,

I thought I might post this to get feedback and ideas.

I am a believer in the school of thought that Preppers can contribute to recovering from a SHTF situation.

Now here is the question.

There is a HUGE amount of knowledge out there that can assist communities in surviving SHTF.

Now, how do we store this info and how do we share it when SHTF?

I know this is a bit open ended, yet I am looking for ideas from others.

Thanks

Rob

Offline Erick

• Committed prepper
Re: How to preserve Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »
Collect some key hard cover manuals printed on quality paper.
Also fill some thumbdrives full of encyclopedias , "how stuff works" etc

Even if the grid goes down someone will have access to solar powered chargers for laptops and those thumbdrives could be a gold mine
Every day, men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

gadget99

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:28:02 AM »
That goes along the same lines of what I gave been thinking.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:02:08 AM »
We/me...Have been hitting up the second hand book stores.

When people ask me, "What do you want for your B-Day, Christmas, being a stud, etc" I always say, "I am collecting books on, Ham radio, carpentry, welding, etc. so go to a used book store and buy me a book (or two) on this subject."

Does everybody own a complete set of the FoxFire Series? Well you could drop ~$200- from Barnes & Nobel or go to your local used book store and get for ~$50-

Church rummage sales along with Libraries selling off excess books are good places too.

Now I am not total retro here, I do belong to the new electronic world. I store A LOT on memory sticks. I store them in a secure area that, in theory a EMP wouldn't fry 'em. I also have my old IBM laptop secured in that cage too. Hopefully it all will survive a EMP.

Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline rah45

• Community Moderator
  • Live Free, or Die.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
I don't know that I would trust electronics, unless I have the finances to get a spare laptop, chargers, solar panel, Faraday cage, etc. My thoughts were to find a cheapish printer that will print copies professionally, and laminate them in binders. Make all your notes on the documents on the computer before you print, highlight them, and the finished product should have all the text and all the notes you made, for easy viewing. That's the easy part, though. Once you get more than a few binders, you need to start organizing them into your own little library, with a library sorting system that provides a synopsis of each book and its contents to help decide what book will help with X need(s). Anyway, once I'm able to spend that extra $$$, and have some storage space, that's what I plan to do. I'll be sure to provide a rundown of how I did it once it's finished, with pics.