Author Topic: Are We Headed for a Recession in 2019  (Read 916 times)

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Are We Headed for a Recession in 2019
« on: December 18, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
Are we headed for a recession? Depression?

As reported by CNBC Fed Survey.
* The chance of recession in the next 12 months rose to 23 percent in the CNBC Fed Survey.
* Twelve percent of respondents think the Fed, after hiking in December, would next move to reduce the Fed
   Funds rate and do so by October.
* Fifty-two percent said they now approve of the president’s handling of the economy, down 14 points from
   the prior survey in which his approval had hit an all-time high.
* The CNBC Fed Survey had 43 respondents, including economists, fund managers and strategists.

I recently spoke to my financial advisor who I hired about 18-years ago concerning this subject last week. She assured me that there is no recession as seen by her in the foreseeable future and what we are seeing in the stock market is just a "correction". A correction in the market is between 10-15% decline. YTD, we are at a 13% devaluation.

I have also been chatting with one of my best friends who is a financial advisor and a prepper. He wasn't so sure that what we are seeing is a correction. He thinks we might be in the foothills of a recession. He also believes that the Fed knows we are starting to climb those foot hills, hence the inching up of the Federal interest rate currently at 2.20%- Prime rate bank loans are in the 5.25%+ area.

He also went on to say that if we do not see a reasonable rebound from 2018's year end stock market close, lets say 5-8% in January & February, it is time to make some decisions.

Now my thoughts:

We currently have ~20% of our retirement in the stock market. Up a bit from our 15% two years ago but way down from our peak of ~45% in our youth. However, I am getting a funny feeling in my stomach not unlike I experienced in pre-2000 and 2008. Here are some thoughts that make me uneasy.

1) Because we (The Government) didn't allow the market to correct itself in 2009 we are feeling the affects in
    a vastly over inflated market right now. Since 2009, the US market has increased by 400%. In comparison,
    most countries stock markets, e.g. EU. UK, China, etc., only grew by 50%.
2) I wrote 2-3 years ago that the market was over inflated and I continue to have that opinion.
3) The only way to defeat Mr. Trump in 2020, is for the economy to take a tumble.
4) Foreign buyers for our debt is drying up

So the US Government is buying their own debt. Huh?
5) US Debt, $21,875T at the time of this writing. Our estimated US GDP
    for 2018 will be $20,400T so our debt is 7% over what the country produces. Very bad! In comparison,
    Greece is at 180% debt to GDP, Japan, 220%, Italy 131% and USA 107% debt to GDP.

There are other indicators that we may be seeing that point to a recession. The few I listed was just to get the discussion going. What are your thoughts? Time table if any? What should we be looking for?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:32:33 PM by JohnyMac »
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: Are We Heades for Recession in 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
If you've got money in the stock market you need to pay attention to who is selling and then you'll know that the companies are selling off as fast as they can. Hmmmmmm.... What do they know that they don't want you to knWe are about to se the biggest crash since the great depression. Invest in something tangable, not paper.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
Re: Are We Headed for a Recession in 2019
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
Great article entitled, Foreigners Dump US Treasuries As They Liquidate A Record Amount Of US Stocks.

Maybe more evidence we are headed towards a recession.
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
   There's lots of indicators.  GM and Ford are going to have massive layoffs.  According to several news sources, this December is on track to be the worst December for the stock market since the Great Depression: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/17/worst-start-to-december-for-the-stock-market-since-great-depression.html    Traditional stable stocks like GE have had massive losses.  On a closer to home note, my spouse was laid off just before Thanksgiving due to a loss of sales at the company she worked for.  It was a smallish company, but they laid off 6 people out of a staff of about 40.  She's already found work, so it didn't effect us too much, but it's an indicator that the economy isn't exactly stable.  My advice is to invest local, and keep plenty of cash on hand.  Money in the bank is worthless if you don't full, immediate access to it.  Stick to the basics, and if you're going to invest in metals, make sure you invest in lead too.

Offline Kbop

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »
Recession - definitely yes.
Depression - considering what QE covered  up - and the coupling of the stock market to the money supply.  maybe.

gadget99

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:49:04 AM »
I firmly believe the UK is heading into difficulty now that it looks like they are heading into a no deal Brexit.

I am hoping that this is localised and the US economy stays strong. I am greedy and want my US Dollars to be strong against the £ for a while.

Cheers all.

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:21:45 AM »
Most financial people I read see a recession sometime from 2020-2021, though some have predicted the end of 2019.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline zanedclark

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »
A friend once asked what precious metal I invested in.  "Lead and gilding metal," I replied.

But wife and I are focused on getting out of debt and staying out as best possible.  Seems to us as our best practice for recession.

z

Offline patriotman

• Committed prepper
  • Find me on Freezoxee - patriotman
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Becoming debt free is super helpful though tough for many. I also think that of all the precious metals, silver has the greatest ceiling long term so having some of that is good. Besides that, we know that stuff will in all likelihood never get cheaper. So stocking up on bullets, magazines, food, etc is also prudent.

The most important thing for surviving? Building a local tightly-linked community network.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Psalm 144:1-2

Offline zanedclark

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
Amen

z

Offline Deathstyle

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 11:46:13 PM »
I firmly believe the UK is heading into difficulty now that it looks like they are heading into a no deal Brexit.

I am hoping that this is localised and the US economy stays strong. I am greedy and want my US Dollars to be strong against the £ for a while.

Cheers all.

A thing that helped the U.S. economy in recent years was that it looked like a safer investment than Europe given all the political turmoil caused by E.U. policies and Southern European countries dealing with bankruptcies.
"Blackouts are God's way of saying, 'Don't worry 'bout it".