Author Topic: 06JAN24 - S2 Underground, New Video 'Bare Minimum Coms',MeshTastik and etc.  (Read 279 times)

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
Thoughtful video, as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjnVypmqGoo

Sir John Honeybucket
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 07:43:00 PM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline RB in GA

• Committed prepper
excellent vid

Offline Sir John Honeybucket

• Committed prepper
The comments sections on videos like that are always eye openers.  It is ASTOUNDING the ignorant commentors who say utter nonsense, trying to dismantle the well reasoned work of others, cuz they're internet esssssperts.

"For every internet expert,
there is
an equal and opposite internet expert.
"

- Andrew's Law
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:19:29 AM by Sir John Honeybucket »
Defender of the Garden
                &
Tapper of Morse Code

Offline Trail Ninja

• Novice Prepper
 :bravo:

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
So lets talk about this. What is a actual distance between users? I suspect line of site.

If it is line of site this works well in a close community especially in an urban setting. In a rural setting, not so much.

Rural setting, using a solar setup and a better antenna it would be a good substitute to build and and erecting repeaters.

Just typing out loud here.  :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
   I'm a big believer in keeping things simple.  I see meshtastic as adding another point of failure, as those nodes need to be powered, so you're creating a UHF, low power digital network.  In a rural setting, you're going to need many sites; that adds costs, maintenance, and engineering.  Essentially, it's recreating a cell phone network, and your communications ability becomes dependent upon the network.  So in a dystopian scenario, the monolithic enemy takes out a couple of critical nodes, and simply waits for a repair team to arrive.  Just like a lion waits next to a watering hole.  Sure, the loss of a couple of nodes in an urban area isn't overwhelming, but in a rural situation, there wouldn't be that many alternatives available.

An alternative would be using D-star or Yaesu Fusion radios and sending text with them, using simplex. 

My MAG has tried ATAC, and it wasn't effective in a rural setting.  Plus, the ATAC data wasn't encrypted, so anyone could tap into the location data.

I see meshtastic as an overcomplicated means of communication that is being pushed as the next big thing by a bunch of tech fanboys.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
 :thumbsUp: Thx Jackalope for your input. OBH agrees with your assessment.

Just curious, what do others think?
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
I have no idea what the Movie is or what it covered but all I can say is, "When it comes to Communications, you better be inventive and learn to think outside the box." I personally like sending messages in the clear and using the simplest method possible. With that said, I'm prepared to get a bit more complex by using Digital modes such as DMR, etc. If I want to be a bit hidden, I think I like the idea of cross band coms like transmitting on MURS and Receiving on FRS. No matter what you do, the bad guys will eventually figure it out and we will have to make changes to keep one step ahead of them. With that said, and as much as I like NETS, I don't think holding scheduled nets during SHTF is a good idea. I absolutely think that 24/7 monitoring of the chosen MAG frequency is imperative. Chit Chat on the MAG frequency is a big "NO NO". I personally have told my MAG members that they can chit chat all they want by just moving down or up one MURS channel. Here is something that can cause some confusion to the bad guys. During WW2 the Navajo Code Talkers used their language as a form of code. However, they didn't have a word for TANKS, ARTILLARY, BOMBERS, FIGHTER PLANES, etc. so they used words that they did have. They called a Tank the Navajo word for a "Turtle". Hmmm.... That makes sense because it was Slow and had an Armored shell. When all Hell breaks loose, we're going to have to be inventive and very flexible. While I love the use of Repeaters, for obvious reasons, I'm really going to have to rely on low power VHF or UHF simplex and lots and lots of relays. Now, as an afterthought, using ARRL formal message formats is total bullshit as far as I'm concerned. I think everything is going to have to be quick, down, and dirty. :DrillSgt:

Online Jackalope

• Administrator
  • Free Citizen
Here's a short video (Run Time 5:37) regarding using almost any GMRS or amateur radio to send digital text messages.  This would allow users to accomplish the same thing as meshtastic without all the overhead that's required with meshtastic.  Again, a simpler solution which can be used on simplex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hQAvhqxNk

Offline pkveazey

• Hardcore Prepper
Jackalope: I watch that guy all the time. I just happened to watch that video last night and commented on his video. I told him that it would be a lot simpler if he turned on the VOX on his UV5R and then he wouldn't have to keep keying the Handi-talkie. His information is always correct, but he leaves out things that would change the scope of his rantings. He's knowledgeable but won't become a Ham. Maybe he was abused by a Ham Radio when he was a child. :lmfao: :lmfao: