Author Topic: $10k and a moving plan  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
Re: $10k and a moving plan
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
Whatever happened to just goin for it? Im over here overthinking it. I use to be able to quit a job at the drop of a hat. I really need to nutt up, get a plan and do it.

Yeah, we all use to do things at the drop of a hat Ken. lol As time goes by, your options can get more limited. How young, or old, of a man are ya? If you don't mind me asking.

Im only 26. Ive been meaning to do my intro...Im pleanty young enough to give this a try i think.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
You will in your own time. Please go camping as you planned though.  :)
:thumbsUp:
Simplicity Is Ideal...

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
Whatever happened to just goin for it? Im over here overthinking it. I use to be able to quit a job at the drop of a hat. I really need to nutt up, get a plan and do it.

Yeah, we all use to do things at the drop of a hat Ken. lol As time goes by, your options can get more limited. How young, or old, of a man are ya? If you don't mind me asking.

Im only 26. Ive been meaning to do my intro...Im pleanty young enough to give this a try i think.

Yeah, 26, you could always have the mind set that you're in the military, and have to be gone a few years. Other than visits, here and there. A year or two, you could make up your mind. Head back home, or re-up. Just a different way to look at it.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
Ken, I pondered on this a while, as I ate a couple of sandwiches. I got out of the Navy, when I was 24. (4 years in) While I was in there, it seemed like I was missing so much at home. "Wow, what are they all doing back home? I bet they're having a blast every night and day, and I'm stuck on this damned ship." When I came home on leave, after hugs for mom, high fives and handshakes with guys and gals. Things would settle down, and it would be like, " So whatcha been up to?", "not much" ,  "yeah", "yeah". And you're off again. And when you get out, it's like nothing ever happened, you just kind of pick up where you left off. I don't think it made a bit of difference in any relationships with people. And the 4 years that seemed to take forever, now looking back at, was such a tiny part of my life, and so long ago. Like you with High school, what probably seemed like your whole world at one point, is nothing more than a few memories now. The same way through life, each segment of it becomes a few memories later. I remember hearing my kids giggle out loud as babies, but don't remember every day of it. Now, I  hear them laugh as teens and young adults. It's all just a ride man, enjoy it! Wow, thanks Ken, for making me feel so damned old. LOL

Offline APX808

• Administrator
    • APX R4nt5
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
Hey Ken, because of my line of work I had to leave home looking for opportunities.

In the beginning it was kind of hard, but you get used to it, luckily these days we have technology, you can phone your family or chat with your friends.
You need to look forward and decide what is better for your life, you're a young man, you have time to do a test run, if it doesn't work you can go back to Cali without problems. Just give it a try.

Go visit your candidate places to move, and live in them a few days, get a feeling of the people and the town.

Also, when deciding where to move, consider that we could have a SHTF situation, OR NOT. So, plan to live in a nice place.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »
LIke Bear Claw Chris Lapp said:

"Many a child journeys this high to be different, to get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. It comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain pilgrim."

I don't know, I just really like that movie.LOL

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
  • Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
Two words, Ken, travel trailer.  Put a few $$$$ toward a travel trailer, go to Idaho (or wherever) and rent a small chunk of dirt in an RV park with utility hookups.  You can live on the super cheap eating beans and rice while you figure out the job thing and save up enough cash to buy a little land with a well.  Once you get some land and get your travel trailer settled, build a storage building for your preps, build/acquire the things you need to be reasonably self-sufficient, then build a little energy efficient home once you feel prepared enough to divert some attention toward new digs. 

If you have too much to fit in a travel trailer when you leave Cali, find a cheap storage facility to rent where you can temporarily house some shit.

The best thing about a travel trailer is, if you don't like the first place to move to, you just drive on to another.  This way, no matter what, you have a place to stay and you don't have to make any big decisions until you're ready, aside from the initial decision to leave.

Too many people struggle through life making sacrifices that they perceive as benefiting others, in lieu of pursuing their desires, when in reality, taking a short amount of time to be "selfish" and improve your own lot in life, can be far more beneficial to those around you in the long term.  Don't see this as abandoning your brother and friend, but as you traveling ahead of the group to set up camp.  Instead of standing around at the bottom of a peak waiting for others to decide they want to climb it, summit that shit and lower a rope for your family to follow.

Find your peace dude, you seem miserable in Cali...
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
Robert Frost

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
WOW thatGirl  :facepalm: that's flippen brilliant!  :thumbsUp:

A friend of my brothers who is going through a nasty divorce went out last year and bought a small motor home. We cleared space for it up at the cabin. The plan is for him to BUG OUT to the BOL if SHTF with his 4 year old.

Thx to the Marcellus Shale Formation in the general local of our BOL - There are a bunch of single and married guys living out of their trailers / mobile homes as housing is scarce. Electric and plumbing hook-up is around $200- a month.

Great idea thatGirl! 
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
Damn T-girl! Get on with your wise self and what not. LOL Good advice girl!  ( It's not Bear Claw Chris Lapp stuff) But good advice. LOL

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
LIke Bear Claw Chris Lapp said:

"Many a child journeys this high to be different, to get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. It comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain pilgrim."

I don't know, I just really like that movie.LOL

That's a great quote, HJ!  That movie is full of hard lessons being learned that can be applied to all sorts of things in your daily life.  For instance, Jeremiah learns quickly that it's not wise to embellish on your resume-- "you know how to skin grizz?" :thumbsUp:

Skin Grizz
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:31:13 PM by thatGirl »
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
Travel trailor, genious! Good analogy too tgirl  :thumbsUp:

Thanks HJ, all good points
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:30:58 PM by Kentactic »
Simplicity Is Ideal...

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
One of my favorite scenes! You're right, that movie is full of a lot of good wisdom. My all time favorite movie. Followed very closely by " The Mountain Men" with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith. :thumbsUp:

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
So an update. I put my 2 weeks notice in at work. Im locked in now. All told i might drive out of CA with around 12k in my pocket. Im shootin for cheyenne wyoming. Mtn is only a stones throw away so thats cool.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline crudos

• Community Moderator
  • Expect Resistance
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
Nothing but good luck and blessings for you Ken in your new adventure.

Offline JohnyMac

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
Congratulations Kentactic for throwing off the chains.

Hopefully I speak for the entire forum that we wish you the best in your travels and trek. If you need anything I and the rest of the forum are here...You just have to ask. :thumbsUp:
Keep abreast of J6 arrestees at https://americangulag.org/ Donate if you can for their defense.

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
Thanks guys it means a lot. Ill keep you updated as to how things are going.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline sledge

• Community Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »
So an update. I put my 2 weeks notice in at work. Im locked in now. All told i might drive out of CA with around 12k in my pocket. Im shootin for cheyenne wyoming. Mtn is only a stones throw away so thats cool.

A quote from Top Gun, " Ballsiest move I've ever seen man!"    Good Luck Ken!  Go for it, if life isn't an adventure, it gets pretty damn boring.
 :pirateThumbUp:

:king:  We applaud you!

In the pursuit of liberty, many will fall. In the pursuit of fascism, many will be against the wall..........   Courtesy of Xydaco

1000meterstare

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
Good luck Ken, and God bless.  If you are ever in NW North Dakota you have a place to stay.  (Mebbeh I'll just be using you to develop good long-range rifle skills).  Hahaha!

hjmoosejaw

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
Be careful Ken, and enjoy the adventure! Go East young man! Oh, and don't forget, "Watch your top knot."

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
Good luck Ken, and God bless.  If you are ever in NW North Dakota you have a place to stay.  (Mebbeh I'll just be using you to develop good long-range rifle skills).  Hahaha!

Lol thanks man. If i cant find work in cheyenne i might just take you up on that.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Be careful Ken, and enjoy the adventure! Go East young man! Oh, and don't forget, "Watch your top knot."

Roger that!
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »
@ Sledge. Thanks dude. Im actually kind of terrified. I need to look at it as an adventure not a set in stone life changing decision. Although if it goes well it could change the course of my life and im totally open to that. I tend to way over think things. My mind is my biggest obstacle i think.
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline Kentactic

• Hardcore Prepper
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
You guys are some of the few who can understand my decision. Im thankful for the support.  :thumbsUp:
Simplicity Is Ideal...

Offline WhiteWolfReloaded

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »
 ??? Damn, that was quick. Best of luck man. Enjoy the adventure and the open road.

Offline thatGirl

• Senior Prepper
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »
Best of luck, Ken!  As a fellow over thinker, I understand how uncomfortable it is to embark on an uncertain journey, but that's also what insures your success.  It is clear that you have the life skills and intelligence to make this move work for you.  I'm looking forward to meeting Wyoming Ken who posts pictures of majestic back country and invites us to come fly-fishing some long weekend ;D

Just remember, there may be some snags along the way, but it will all work out-- you got this! :thumbsUp:
Winston Churchill

Robert Frost

John Wayne